Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and GO!

Reactions: xerts1191

·
Registered
840 Posts
My go to load for major power factor is a 200gr SWC Precision Bullet on top of 4.8gr of Titegroup and a Winchester primer. Even on a cool morning these have always made power factor. And yes I’ve seen people not make PF on colder days.

·
Registered
686 Posts
200 grain SWC made by Ibeji heads seated over 4.1 grains of Promo -- cci 300 primer

back during the ammo shortage when Obama 1st got elected I was shooting a lot of skeet with my then 10 year old son -- I started reloading for shotgun -- Promo was a powder I could get my hands on, cheap, and I bought a few 8 pound jugs -- Promo is a replacement for red dot which is primarily a shotgun powder but also a pistol powder

I use it in all my handgun loads -- 38 special, 38 super, 9mm and .45acp

A little dirty but it works just fine and makes major pushing that 200 grn SWC in 45 acp

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Duke I am using 5.9g of N340 with a Bayou 230g coated RN on top. This load is down from 6g and will go down further. I have not chrono'd the 5.9 yet due to the FRIGID f'ing weather we are having. However 6g made a power factor of 191.5 so I have lots of room to go down for USPSA.
I shot my first regulation match the other night and stage 1 had 3 targets, 25 yards, 2 shots each, and you had 5 seconds to shoot all 3. With a PF of 191 getting the gun out of recoil back on target was a challenge when fighting the clock! LMAO Grasshopper you must lighten your load!
I'll keep you posted. (note that I already feel the difference with 5.9g)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm following, I load 9mm, about to buy 45 dies. Need a good load for IDPA.
What powder do you use for 9mm? It will probably work in .45.

Use enough to get 850 fps with a 200 grain bullet. I would use a semiwadcutter if the gun feeds them, there are a few 200 gr roundnose if it won't.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I am using TiteGroup with 147 PD fmj

Why 200 grain instead of 230?
I don't use the stuff, but I am sure you can find a "recipe." Look on Benos.

The 200 gr SWC is kind of a tradition in practical shooting and I think it gives a well balanced load at Major power factor. You may of course, try 185 or 230; they all work.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,337 Posts
:morning:
In for the info.

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
230 gr. Zero JHP, 4.8 gr. N320.
ACCURATE, soft shooting.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
My old go to load for IPSC was 230 LRN over 5.7 grains of 231.....Not for the timid or those that fire weak rounds through their prize race guns.....R.O. hated me when it came to spot check rounds.

Karsten

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
loaded up a few major recipes today but I have calculated my recent hit factors and I would of been in the same positions if I would have been scored as major rather than minor (as I have been)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts