45 acp and 9mm dilemma

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by boatdoc, Oct 26, 2018.

1. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I have decided to change my collection a bit since the hand surgeries. Shooting 9mm is better for this repaired hand IMHO

I love what I own (brands and models) and intend to keep my collection as is in that respect.

here is the dilemma;
    choice 1 is to convert a select few models from 45 acp to 9mm. cost about 2 grand / gun. work done by the original maker
    OR

choice 2 ;sell off a few .45 acp models and reorder them as 9mm

Makers claim it is not a problem to convert them. That said,I am concerned about problems with the 9mm after conversion. TOugh decision

please weigh in. specifics appreciated
    thanks
    Rob

2. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    With surgery on one hand done and the second to be done next year, I know the feeling. I have not thought about selling my .45’s but find myself shooting far more 9’s at the range. At this point I only have two 9mm’s and most likely my next purchase will be a 9 too. Even without hand issues many of us in our 60’s are switching primarily to 9mm’s for range use. I only have guns that I carry and shoot. Not ready to let go of the .45’s and doubt I ever will.

Sell or convert is a tough call that only you can make.

45caldude, boatdoc, Kip and 1 other person like this.

3. 1911obsession

1911obsession Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Keep your 45's and just shoot lite Semi Wadcutter type target ammo.

My 45acp loads recoil less than a 9mm.
    Very comfortable to shoot, and far more accurate than a 9mm.

I'm 65 with arthritis in my hands.

4. aaronsappl

aaronsappl Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2015
    I sold a couple of 45's and purchased 9's. I kept a couple of 45's. When I shoot my 9's it is usually 100 to 250 rds. The 45's usually 2-3 mags. My hand can't take the pounding anymore. I do love the 9mm 1911 as a range gun.
    I can't comment on converting, I have never done one. But if the maker was confident and I was confident in the maker. Why not.

George Paresa and boatdoc like this.
  5. xTeleDude

xTeleDude Active Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Do the math.. which is more cost effective, rebuilding or selling and replacing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. N of 1

N of 1 just one more

Nov 3, 2016
    I personally can't see converting a gun. Seems like selling, even with a loss assumed and getting something intended to be 9mm from the start is a better plan, and will likely save time and frustration.

Caveat: I've never had a full custom built gun and I've no doubt that many true gunsmiths can do this without issues. Anything can be done with enough time and money right?

7. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    It's my understanding that most 9mm 1911s are effectively converted 45's.

The only 9mm specific 1911 I know of are the Springfield EMP models.

If the convention is going to cost 2000 per gun, might you loose less money by selling/trading for a 9mm version (assuming a 9mm version exists)?

Which guns are you planning to convert?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    boatdoc likes this.
  8. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I have arthritis , so continually shooting a .45 begins to be uncomfortable .
    At the risk of being labeled an " enabler " , I would choose to just buy 9mm models that you like . At 2 grand / gun you can take your time and shop for a duplicate of your .45's by the same maker in 9 mm. With one exception , I have done this with 3 different manufacturers .
    I now shoot 9 mm primarily , but usually get to shoot 100 -150 rounds per week in .45 .
    I also carry a .45 .
    Above all , remember …… we are here to help ! :)

boatdoc likes this.
  9. k38

k38 Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    I agree with the post above regarding loading down. The .45 Auto can be loaded to be quite mild, more pleasant to shoot than the 9mm. But if you don't reload, then, yes, a 9mm is probably the solution.

FWoo45 likes this.
  10. Cousin Vinny

Cousin Vinny Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Sell off the ones that you find unpleasant to shoot. Then start the search for the ones you like in 9mm.
    The fun begins again!
    Cousin Vinny

boatdoc and WHEELS like this.
  11. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Taking a .45 and getting it to run 9mm will require replacing the entire slide assembly. This is NOT a conversion, but a rededication of the frame to fit a new slide.

Am I missing something here?

12. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Do you reload ? Lighter loads may be cheapest way to go . Try a good pair of shooting gloves . Other than these options I'd look at trading . Our classifieds are a good place to start .

13. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    The lightest shooting .45 ACP out there is TulAmmo steel case. You might want to try a box or two of that stuff. It's cheap too, but not reloadable, if that is something you prefer.

415523.jpg

salelcid, FWoo45 and boatdoc like this.
  14. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013

this.. You can load powerpuff loads and get lower than 9mm

SMP OUTDOORS and boatdoc like this.
  15. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Lightest recoiling 45 I have shot is ASYM 185gr JHP match. It's a 185 grain bullet at 775 fps. Power factor is 148. Really soft shooting and will most likely run well with your existing spring setup. Go to their website and read a couple of reviews. Not only will it shoot soft, it'll be the most accurate and clean ammo you'll ever experience. Price ain't too bad either.

SMP OUTDOORS, gun_fan111, Kip and 4 others like this.
  16. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Sell and reorder! May we ask what manufacturers and models?

joerockhead and boatdoc like this.
  17. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    not sure which models yet. I KNOW that I must have the 9mm barrel supported though=extra $$

18. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    leaning this way .
    so far a wilson--probably a CQB and a NHC --maybe my shadowhawk

Kip and UBOATDOC like this.
  19. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    thanks Rob..

that might work too.rather keep my guns if I can get the recoil to drop(normal fmj 185 gr and 230 gr hit a bit hard and risk my surgical health)

20. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    if I loaded,I would definitely go this route

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted