.45 ACP ballistics chart (out to 100 yards!)

Discussion in 'Range Trips & Reviews' started by ButchA, Nov 4, 2018.

1. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Check this out that I found on the internet and saved... The article mentioned 230gr "ball" and I forgot to include that. But anyway, if anyone wants a real challenge at an outdoor rifle range (where you can shoot anything), use this chart as a reference! :D
    [​IMG]

2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Thus, the impetus for Jeff Cooper and associates developing the 10mm. It is fun to push the envelope of your equipment and skill though!

Kip and ButchA like this.

3. 68camaro

68camaro Well-Known Member

May 12, 2015
    Must be nice to have 100 yard range to test this.

boatdoc and ButchA like this.
  4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    In other words, if you're POA is COM, you'll probably hit somewhere near the balls.

5. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    And even if has slowed to 50 FPS, it will still be a bit of a toe pointer.

july19 and boatdoc like this.
  6. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Well, probably more kneecap range. But, guess if you’re really getting on in age and the boys have gotten tired of hanging on...

awp101 and boatdoc like this.
  7. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Here at my farm we have steel gongs set up that can be shot at 65, 100 or 175. I do it pretty regularly with the 1911's that I've built for clients just because it's fun to hear that ring!

8. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Could have used this yesterday, after about 10 shots finally hit the 12" gong at 100 yards.

9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Well, when I think of COM, I think torso Center Of Mass. That is, the red zone of a standard silhouette target.

10. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    How big are the gongs?

11. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    23" disc blades.

salelcid, Busa Dave and ZoidMeister like this.
  12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    101 yards with a 1911NM. We starting doing this back in the Cooper days when there were concerns about Terrorists in the early 80s. I sat for 5 days in a stepside Van with a M40A1 at the 84 Olympics. Not a lot of fun.

This is 231 Powder with a Bulletworks.com H&G 68 200 grain SWC. All my 45acp ammo is handloaded except Personal Defense. I check zero with that once a month. I never shoot hardball unless I need to with a Thompson. That's a 12" plate I'm shooting at.

2easternfront.jpg

13. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    LOL not to mention the wind:) Just for fun we shoot pistols at the 1k gong at the ranch ----- never wasted time with the 45. Cannot line it up because you have to hold it so far over the target it is too hard to get it lined up. :)

Uncle Bob likes this.
  14. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    We used to use disks as will but over the years they rusted out. Now use a real "gong" and it is a lot tougher...

Joe C likes this.
  15. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Shoot it upside down- the pistol that is. Then at least you have your windage correct. Just have to use your pinky to pull the trigger

Busa Dave and Uncle Bob like this.
  16. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    One website I used to hang around had a 45 @ 100 competition. I used a sheet of plywood. I put 5 shots in seven inches off a bench with a Merit Optical thingy. Amazed my self. Have shot hunters silhouette with the 45. Did better with a long barrel revolver or single shot Contender.

It can be done.
    David

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Uncle Bob likes this.
  17. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    I used to do that for people nervous about shooting a 1911.

18. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Trajectory of a 60mm mortar ;)

Tried 600 with a trapdoor Springfield (45/70), roughly the same problem and the carbines beat the hell out of your shoulder

Busa Dave likes this.
  19. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Yeah, but I get the disc blades for free. :)

20. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    LOL the reason they rust out so quick is they are used no longer and so they are not very "robust" shall we say. :) Free is good on things you shoot at because the condition of what you shoot at only deteriorates. Plus with holes eventually they just go faster.

Joe C likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted