1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having trouble with the crimp on my 45 acp
Im full length resizing.using Berrys plated 200 gr bullets and crimping with a Lee taper crimp
yet the bullet can be turned easily by hand after crimping.
Never ran across this issue brfore in 4o years of reloading,
Any suggestions are appreciated

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
If you can rotate the bullet with your fingers you need to crimp more. What is the dimension just below the case mouth?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Im having trouble with the crimp on my 45 acp
Im full length resizing.using Berrys plated 200 gr bullets and crimping with a Lee taper crimp
yet the bullet can be turned easily by hand after crimping.
Can you rotate the bullet after seating but before using the "crimp" die.

I don't use any crimp die reloading 45 ACP, .452-.453 bullets. I have heard some "crimp" dies compress the bullet too much.

Smiles,

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
I seat bullet with one die , then crimp with Lee factory crimp & sizing die . I also use a factory bullet to set up the factory crimp die . FWIW , I've never liked those Berry bullets .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agree with Denver1911. Seat a bullet and see if you can turn it, before crimping. If you can, the expander is too large or the bullet undersize. If you can't or can't push the bullet in against a bench, then you could possibly be crimping too much and distorting the case tension.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
I had that same issue with my 243.. I would full length size and then slightly bell the case neck. I would prime and drop the powder in. When I put the bullet in it would fall right through into the powder. The neck expander on my RCBS sizing die was expanding the neck too much...
Until I found what was the problem it was OY VEY!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Using a Lee FCD or a crimp die in general if not correctly set can smush lead or plated bullets and cause that issue, also an if you over expand with the bell die that could cause a problem, then as Denver 1911 said , it could be undersized bullets. I have also found R-P cases to be rather thin in .45 Auto, so some cases may be thinner than others.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I will not use plated bullets. I did try them The proper way to crimp them is start with none. Add a little and then pull the bullet. Add a little more. Once you pull the bullet and the plating is compromised (cut) back off some.

David

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
I tried them also David. Not impressed with them either have a couple hundred left, will use them up and will be finished.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I tried Berry’s ten or so years ago and had no luck at all with them. Left plated bullets until I tried X-Treme’s two or three years ago and their plating is so much thicker. I’ve shot well over 20,000 with great success.

The neck tension is what holds the bullet and not the crimp. I use a Redding dual ring sizing die in .45 which gives just a little more neck tension than a standard die. I have also had better results since I got rid of my Lee Factory Crimp die about three years ago and went with all Redding dies.

·
Registered
662 Posts
After 40 years of reloading you know all about crimp issues

Is this a new bullet for you? Sized at .452?
How about your brass — new to you or your regular rotation?
Progressive press? Is there a chance the carbide sizing ring in your sizer die broke loose and you just didn't notice?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
When some one mentions plated bullets and problems I usually respond it's probably the bullets.
If you have any of your old stock load a few of those and see if they load OK.
Mic the bullets as said above and see if they are the correct dia.

Good info on all the posts, check one thing at a time starting with the bullets.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The only problem I ever had with loose bullets was because of a Lee sizing die. Combination of Remington cases and .451 bullets and the bullets were loose. My solution was a set of RCBS dies, no more problem. No problem with Dillon dies either.

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
I've loaded every kind of bullet and I would recommend starting over on your set up. Loosen everything up and set your dies up like you are doing a caliber change. The factory crimp die is especially sensitive to being set up right so get your instruction sheet out and set it up by the book. An interesting thing about plated bullets that could be causing you trouble is that the lead under the plating is a lot softer than a hard cast or coated bullet. When I set up for plated bullets I will pull bullets to make sure the crimp is right. You have to make sure you are not swaging the bullet or cutting the plating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I neglected to say I am using a Dillon RL 450 still works great after 30 + years.
I just measured 10 bullets randomly and I could not find 1 bullet that measured .452 everything I measured was between .450 -.451.
Im going to reset up and check every station as your suggestions and see what happens.
Thanks for the help but it sure looks like it is the bullets

·
Dremel jockey
3,988 Posts
I'm no expert but I have loaded many 45acp rds.
Projo should measure .4510" minimum.
Lee products can be problematical.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts