1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting question asked of me today, what weight recoil spring should a guy start out with when adding a compensator to a 45 ACP 1911? I've never messed with comps before, and I'm not certain where to start. The guy who owns the gun appears to have a really, really lightweight recoil spring in it, and it keeps jamming on him. My first thought was to start at 16 lbs and work up or down from there to fine tune. The guy wants to use plain ol' 230 RN ball in it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
This is old but has some interesting stuff..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Kinda depends on your loads, Wilson Combat told me to start with 15 lb spring for a .45 Accucomp I have. Seems to work well with ball but I have not tried others though.

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
1,663 Posts
Also depends on the weight and effectiveness of the comp. In 45 ACP, I would expect most comps to function 230 ball ammo with a 13-15 pound spring. Lighter for a heavier, full profile comp. With light loads, you may need variable power springs for best ejection.

I have a 170 power factor range load that my Boland comp gun requires a 10lb spring to run reliably. It has a very effective comp that is pretty heavy also

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good question. I have a gun at NHC getting the FireHawk treatment. I spoke to Bob, and he said 15 pounds should take care of most loads, and that I may need to go lighter for reduced loads.

·
The Tinker
4,096 Posts
Good info here. Been a while since I shot a comp'd 45 but I'd probably start with a 15 lb. spring and go from there. I've always had good luck with variable power springs in my comp'd competition pistols.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Considering my lack of experience with the subject, it looks like I tolerably close to reality. I always hate trying to advice on something I have no firsthand knowledge of. Thank you all very much for your help.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I ran a comped 45 for awhile. IIRC, I was running a 12 pound recoil spring. The load was up there to get the comp to work well..185 Nosler JHP and 11.5 grains of Blue Dot. well into +P and knocking on Super loadings. No abnormal primer signs and case head expansion was

FWIW, different design comps work differently. I had a Clark 45 ACP comped barrel and a barrel with an EGW coned comp. The difference was night and day..EGW for the win.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Start with a 16# spring and work down until it locks back on the last round. Rounds should eject 5'-8' away from you if sprung properly. What is your mainspring weight? That could make a difference too...

·
The Tinker
4,096 Posts
I ran a comped 45 for awhile. IIRC, I was running a 12 pound recoil spring. The load was up there to get the comp to work well..185 Nosler JHP and 11.5 grains of Blue Dot. well into +P and knocking on Super loadings. No abnormal primer signs and case head expansion was

FWIW, different design comps work differently. I had a Clark 45 ACP comped barrel and a barrel with an EGW coned comp. The difference was night and day..EGW for the win.
I ran the comp'd 45 a LONG time ago. :)

I ran the lightest semi-wadcutters I could find, in a ramped barrel so I could push the load harder to make the comp work better and to shorten cycle time. Never had trouble with the loads, but on hotter days I was getting 'just' a hint of primer flow.

Then I discovered 38 Super shortly after Robby started using it. Flatter, faster, higher round count. There was no going back. (y)

·
Registered
272 Posts
The 38S killed the 45 in the sport, single stack kept it alive, I think. I used the lighter bullet for the same readon you did, to increase the gas volume and boost the pressure. What I discovered is I like iron sights....but I learned better pistol alighment and recoil behavior by watching the dot.

·
The Tinker
4,096 Posts
The 38S killed the 45 in the sport, single stack kept it alive, I think. I used the lighter bullet for the same readon you did, to increase the gas volume and boost the pressure. What I discovered is I like iron sights....but I learned better pistol alighment and recoil behavior by watching the dot.
I switched to the 38 Super in single stack to keep up with the other Open class shooters who were gaining a slight advantage with the flatter/faster shooting of the supers and the 10 shot capacity of the Super mags. Then I had to start using RDS sights because they were just faster. Period. Once I figured out how to draw and hold the pistol of course. ;)

And I was faster and more accurate with a single-stack 38 Super w/RDS. I could do a mag dump on a shotgun popper and the Pact timers would only pick up 7 or 8 of the 11 shots fired (0.1 sec resolution on the timer). But then when I switched to wide-bodies (STI) my splits slowed down. Seems my hands were happier slapping the trigger on a single stack as opposed to that on a wide body.

But I had to shoot the wide body to stay competitive in Open. I made it to Master, but then started suffering a bit of burn out and I started shooting less and less. I finally quit altogether in the early 2000s.

OP: Sorry for the slight OT here. :)

Reactions: Magnumite

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is turning into an interesting thread!

I’ve never tried a 38S, but I’m starting to give it a harder look as I go. The OAL, capacity, and described recoil characteristics definitely has my attention.

Nothing wrong with the 45, but I got the heavy comp installed by NHC for a reason. Haven’t got it back yet, but I’m hoping it takes the bite out of 230gr +P and hotter loads which can cause some ache in my elbows and wrists after a long day of shooting. Without doing a ton of math, when Bob told me it takes #15 springs and less for lighter loads, I though to myself that’s gotta be pretty enjoyable to shoot.

Wide body 9mm... still have a ways to go to try one of those.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I switched to the 38 Super in single stack to keep up with the other Open class shooters who were gaining a slight advantage with the flatter/faster shooting of the supers and the 10 shot capacity of the Super mags. Then I had to start using RDS sights because they were just faster. Period. Once I figured out how to draw and hold the pistol of course. ;)

And I was faster and more accurate with a single-stack 38 Super w/RDS. I could do a mag dump on a shotgun popper and the Pact timers would only pick up 7 or 8 of the 11 shots fired (0.1 sec resolution on the timer). But then when I switched to wide-bodies (STI) my splits slowed down. Seems my hands were happier slapping the trigger on a single stack as opposed to that on a wide body.

But I had to shoot the wide body to stay competitive in Open. I made it to Master, but then started suffering a bit of burn out and I started shooting less and less. I finally quit altogether in the early 2000s.

OP: Sorry for the slight OT here. :)
A little insight never hurt. I could never warm up to the 38S...not sure why. One day maybe. But I did eventually embrace the 9mm.

·
The Tinker
4,096 Posts
A little insight never hurt. I could never warm up to the 38S...not sure why. One day maybe. But I did eventually embrace the 9mm.
In the old days, 9mm had difficulty making major. Robby was blowing up 9mm guns by the dozens. Girls (and a few guys) shot 9mm back then, but shooting minor in Open Class just gave up too much ground to the other guys (competition wise). I have no use for 9mm (except maybe 9x21) as a competition or defensive round, but that's just me.

So I shot what I needed to, to keep up with the other shooters in Open. Not because I liked 38 Super. I actually built and shot an open class 10mm wide body at about a 185+ PF for over 6 months because a few idiot/moronic/loudmouths said it couldn't be done and be competitive at my local level. I even made a few hundred bucks doing it. Some people... ;)

Had I not stopped shooting when I did, I would have stopped when they dropped the PF and everyone started shooting pea-shooters. Maybe they (USPSA) should just say the heck with it and have everyone just start shooting semi-auto 22s. But now I'm heading down a rabbit hole I shouldn't go down. Apologies for the divergence.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts