1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Any company make a DAO (hammerless) in 45 acp?
A good friend that passed away a few years ago had a S&W 625 factory 3". He found an extra hammer, had it bobbed and the sa notch or whatever removed by a good smith near us. That was a great "little" gun. As things were going south for him he sold it and I had just bought my 4", wasn't able to get it too unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
didn't Colt make a Double Eagle?...double action 45acp...but I think it had a hammer....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s looking like hammerless is a no go. This would be a pocket carry gun so moon clips are no problem for me. What other 3” and under 45 acp revolvers would y’all recommend?
Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a few ACP revolvers, all S&W. None are even remotely what I would consider a pocket revolver. The closest ACP revolver I can think of might be the Charter Arms. Not DAO but that is mere a couple strokes with a file.

Kevin

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a few ACP revolvers, all S&W. None are even remotely what I would consider a pocket revolver. The closest ACP revolver I can think of might be the charter Arms. Not DAO but that is merel a couple strokes with a file.

Kevin
Just saw the Charter Arms. Looks promising. 2.5” and no moon clips. 11 pound double action pull so nothing outside of a stressful situation should discharge a round.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Trigger pull is an adjustable commodity. While I have never worked on a Charter Arms Revolver they all seem to respond to judicious polishing.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Pocket carry an L or N frame (S&W) hmm? one of those 296s would be ideal but its a 44spl.

A little late here But as mentioned Charter arms May have a model your looking for.
The other avenue would be a modification of an older S&W this well could be costly both for the donor candidate and the work,
S&W built a night guard seris of pistols some years back these are bringing a premium today. And none were dao so if one was found, surgery would be needed.
I believe the model would be the 325?

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,612 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't want to shoot a Charter Arms revolver in .45ACP. I think it would be very uncomfortable and their guns are pretty rough these days, not like the early ones. If you can find a S&W 325PD or 325 Night Guard they are .45s and have 2.5" barrels and round butts, making one DAO with a bobbed hammer would not be difficult, they are also very light thanks to scandium alloy frames. The 325PD is even lighter since it has a titanium cylinder.

If you find a solid but cosmetically challenged N-frame like a 28 you an get cylinders and barrels off ebay or from Numrich's and turn it into whatever you want. I had Mark Hartshorne build me this 3" .41mag 28-2 using a Bubba'd Highway Patrolman that I never should have bought, a titanium cylinder I got from Numrich's, and a 4" M58 barrel I got of ebay. Mark fit the cylinder, cut the barrel to 3", recrowned it, and made a new front sight. He also replaced the rusty rear sight , bead blasted the gun and blued it. The project saved a POS gun that was otherwise destined to spend eternity in a workbench drawer. If you wanted to create something similar in .45ACP he could do it for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts