45 Reload Problems

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Charlie, Jul 2, 2020.

1. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Not going to argue about the accuracy, I've loaded some of these bullets, they're soft shooters, but not tack drivers, although I can't claim extensive testing to date. I will argue about your claimed weight variance, I just weighed 30 at random, range was 184.5 to 185.3 gr., with the majority between 184.8 and 185. So an extreme spread of less than a grain, not 55 gr. :eek:. And BTW, that's way less than 5%. I'm no Berry's fan boy, but something isn't adding up here. Later.

Dave

Dub and gps man like this.
  2. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    A 55gr variance in projo weight should be visible from several yards away.
    I'm not calling anyone incompetent, but I am having a hard time accepting these results.
    As the owner of a small business, I am aware that inaccurate reports of product quality can affect the family of the business owner.
    Show us the scale and readings?

Dub, Rick McC., simonp and 4 others like this.

3. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    1.23 COAL? That's awfully short. Seating them that deep raises pressure

Dub likes this.
  4. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    IMG_20200705_201125_1.jpg

Some guys run them long with a lot of lead past the brass but that did not work in all my guns so I kept it close to the Lyman spec. It varies a few thousandths as the brass I use for practice is mixed headstamp

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  5. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Does anybody remember the OP's issue?

Smiles,

Dub likes this.
  6. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I run my SWC with a small amount of lead showing . I find that if bullet shoulder is entirely in brass I have occasional feed issues . Bullet is Missouri Bullet 200 grn. SWC . Back to OP . I'm not a Berry's fan . I had issues with them not crimping well and moving in case . Only brand I've ever had that issue with .

*Double Diamond Colt* likes this.
  7. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Agreed sinking it too deep didn't work just a little over the brass works well in all my stuff and I gave up on Berrys long ago . Was not consistent when I used them .

8. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    I can set Boolit depth just looking at it!
    6e356827.jpg

9. Sheperd

Sheperd Member

Jun 7, 2020
    I'm not as well versed in the reloading field as most of these guys but if I was in your position I would check three things. I would make sure I'm using the correct diameter bullets, check to make sure the rounds are headspacing correctly, and then I would make sure I'm not crimping the bullet while seating it and causing the case to distort

*Double Diamond Colt* and simonp like this.
  10. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

Have you ever mic'ed old original hardball? That's 1.260. Shortest COAL I've ever loaded was 1.245 with a jacketed round to fit someone's magazines. I can mic my 200 grain SWCs for you, it's been the same length for 40+ years and not one problem in all the 1911s it's been used in starting with series 70s back in the 70s, from Govt models to LWCs, to Randalls, to Para Ords to Springfields, to Les Baers. That includes the fact that my #2 series 70 had a BarSto barrel in it. If you're having a feeding problem, please take a picture and let's see what it is.

Regardless, if you seat short, remember you're raising the pressure. I do compensate with the 1.245 round by backing off the powder throw just a bit.

Dub likes this.
  11. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

Same same here.

DSC01489_zpsblh4m0mj.jpg

Dub likes this.
  12. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Is that a Star?

Smiles,
    See post #7,

Smiles,

13. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Bet your bippy it is. Picked it up when I was a mere prat in the 1800s.

Just kidding, I've had it for over 40 years. Only changed the dies for one special load I occasionally load, otherwise it's 99.9% H&G 68 SWCs.

I have a 550B, but the priming stroke drives me nuts. A friend has it.

Did, good call.

Dub likes this.
  14. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    I am having no problems and have loaded it to the Lyman spec for only 30 yrs but if I live another 10 it will be 40 but Im not counting the years I went barefoot .

Half a Million bullets shot at that spec with 4 to 4.2 of Bullseye powder and I use it in all my WWI guns that feed it perfectly with Issue barrels . along with all the modern stuff I mentioned before .

Heck you don't have to bother micing it for me you might Jinx yourself
    You are obviously much more experienced than I am and can come up with a better OAL by eye than I can using the book so In short what we are both doing fits our purpose and works reliably in what we are shooting it out of .

15. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    I use a taper die for years. 45 headspaces on case mouth

16. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Nice mild load.

It's called trying to be helpful, but I'm not worried about jinxing myself. I had my "Ooops" on a Star press right after I stared using one.

Look, I came up in a league with a ton of shooters that always were looking for "Better". We had the which powder is better, which bullet is better, which person that makes these bullets better, Which barrels, bushings etc etc etc are better. Not only in people's guns that I used the ammo in, when working at a Colt repair center, I used to use my practice ammo in pistols just to see how they fed. My ammo also cycled in a couple of sub machine guns I've worked on or with.

In the long run, you will do what you will do, I was simply curious about the COAL.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Dub likes this.
  17. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Its all good Bob love your posts they are very helpful and its nice to be able to draw on your experience even if we don't always agree as I think you got about ten yrs on me .

I also watched shooters change a lot of things in search of an edge in accuracy . I was looking for reliability in a multitude of different guns with mild recoil and this load seemed to work really well so I just stuck with it and never had a problem .

Uncle Bob likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted