458 Winchester Magnum

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by swampgas, May 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    To not totally derail the beautiful #1 Ruger in the classifieds I thought to continue the discussion of this Monster Rifle cartridge. New powders introduced and are capable of pushing this cartridge into near anti tank rounds. LOL

New loads achieve 2600 fps with 2.5 tons of muzzle energy, prior to the introduction of new powders the round was rated to be used inside of 110 yards, 2150 fps and the 2.5 tons of muzzle energy. The new loads stretch it out to 500 yds still carrying a measly 1 ton of energy. LOL.

I've only seen, up close, 2 rifles chambered in 458. The first was used in Africa and resided in a high earner lawyer's safe. Model 70 Winchester. The second one was sold by the Arkansa Game and Fish, they had used it for alligator eradication in southern Arkansas. I didn't see a third one a fellow was sighting in but felt the concussion 3 lanes down at a local indoor range, it was so loud and the concussion made it impossible for me to use the lane I was in and had to move 2 lanes further away. Sucker would cause a big flinch when he fired it. LOL Had he offered a couple of shot free use I would have passed, thing has 70 ft pounds of recoil.

Unless you have a beefy shoulder I advise staying away from the big belted magnums, they can hurt you. When I was much younger I wanted a 375 H&H rimless nitro express double rifle, they were out of my purchasing ability and still are.

gps man, dougwtx, Scaramouche and 4 others like this.
  2. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    I still have my old Mauser 98 that is chambered in .458 Win Mag. Don't care who you are, that puppy kicks! About 4 shots are all I could handle, (510 grain bullet), my shoulder would just vibrate. It broke the original stock so I finished a 95% completed laminate stock that I bought from Reinhart Fajen and it's still going strong, even if I'm not!
    Then I'd grab my mellow Model 70 chambered in .338 Win Mag, (250 grain bullet, but it would just kick my a$$ just as bad! I always wanted a bolt action chambered in 375 H&H but since I don't hunt anymore I don't need one at this point in my life.

gps man, dougwtx, Scaramouche and 2 others like this.

3. swampgas

Mar 10, 2019
    I'd love to have the one adverted here, just to have it. I'd never fire it LOL,,,I'd really like to have one in 243 or 308...or both

gps man and john_anch_ak like this.
  4. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Back when my parents lived in Vegas, we went to the range and there was a fellow there with 2 Ruger No. 1’s. A .375 H&H and a .458 Win Mag. He was kind enough to let me shoot both. I’ll take the .458 as the recoil was a big push compared to the .375 which felt like someone hit me in the shoulder with a sledgehammer. I’d love a .458 someday even though I have no use for one other than burning up $$ every time I’d fire it.

5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I'll just stay with my .444 Marlin Rifle.
    My hand load using H-4198 & a Hornaday 265gr SP at 2154fps.
    I used to shoot cloverleafs at 100yds, when I was younger.

6. dougwtx

dougwtx Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 8, 2011
    I owned a Winchester 70 and Interarms Mark X (I believe that was the model) back in the days. I never had the opportunity to try it on any living creature. Both were bruisers; maybe 2 or 3 rounds. I shot one from the bench and will never do that again. If I have to have a big bore sighted in, I will pay someone else to put several rds to sight in. The Mark X stock cracked at the grip. The Win held up and I had a KDF muzzle break installed but it did not help much. Those were the days...

Mike Meints likes this.
  7. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I’ve got a .375 H&H and when deciding between the .458 Win Mag vs. the .416 Rem Mag, I went with the .416 Rem Mag.
    It’ll do anything the .458 will do...(que the caliber war...), ok, IMO, it’ll do anything that the .458 will do.
    Either way, after researching the ballistics, I was satisfied with the performance of the .416 as my other big boy rifle.
    (Both synthetic Remington 700 models BTW)
    Hell, if all goes south, I’ll always have my handy dandy .45-70 Guide Gun loaded up and ready to grab if need be. ;)

gps man, tac45 and dougwtx like this.
  8. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    When I let my larger caliber rifles go, I kept a 375 H&H. I like that one too much to put it up for adoption just yet. I never enjoyed my Sako 338 Safari or the 458 Win or 458 Lott all that much and don't miss them at all. I might still have a 416 Rigby here somewhere but I haven't seen it in quite some time. I might have gotten rid of it on a spur of the moment.

dougwtx, gps man and Glock2740 like this.
  9. swampgas

Mar 10, 2019
    416 Rigby? Nice, very nice.

gps man likes this.
  10. Joni Lynn

Dec 21, 2014
    Thanks. It would be so much nicer if I could put hands on it. I know the brass felt like it cost a small fortune when I obtained a few cases.

gps man likes this.
  11. swampgas

Mar 10, 2019
    LOL, especially expensive for hunting the elusive wild Bengal Tiger free roaming the neighborhood. For the better part of 60 years I've wanted a big bore double rifle, no rhyme or reason, just the wants.

notshawn54 and Autonomous like this.
  12. Joni Lynn

Dec 21, 2014
    I often advise people to scratch the itch if at all possible. The older you get the hard it may become to do so.

tac45 likes this.
  13. swampgas

Mar 10, 2019
    I'd only break my shoulder these days, old and brittle and don't bounce well like I once did. That portion of the bucket where double rifles were stored will never get the check mark. I did prank the account manager at NightHawk today tho, he's hard to get in touch with, I left a message telling him I wanted 1 of every model currently produced.

Joni Lynn likes this.
  14. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Many of you know of my love of dangerous game rifles , I’ve had the privilege of firing what I consider the finest of their kind
    Westley Richards .
    Chambered in 577 nitro express 750 grain cartridge.
    Now I just need to win the lottery to own one .

6EC9235B-CEAD-4EE5-ADAC-3316C0275B27.jpeg E7708035-155D-4BBB-8B3A-36002FAA880B.jpeg 982DFEAE-A4EA-496A-9AED-183445A58DF1.jpeg

15. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Wow!

tac45 likes this.
  16. swampgas

Mar 10, 2019
    Tripple wow! I reckon those would fall into the "one off super duper custom build?"

tac45 likes this.
  17. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    The wood on those rifles is simply stunning! You just don't see this kind of workmanship anymore, unless you gots lots of money!

tac45 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted