close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

45ACP EMP???

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Kokopelli, Sep 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Dude at the LGS down the road said he'd be getting a "special edition" EMP in 45ACP.. Anybody heard anything about this? Ron

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    That would be like their Loaded LW Micro Compact...

3. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    He's full of crap, unless I see it in person. I agree with Knedrgr, it's probably the LW Micro.

4. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
  5. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Yeah, the EMP was redesigned to make it thinner and be sufficient enough to handle the power of the 9mm. If you start adding in the power of the 45, you add more metal and then you get a standard 3" 1911 that have existed for a long time.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

LOL... Ya-don't say... It is an AnaRchy shop.. Cheers.. Ron

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  7. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Sounds like your LGS dude has been hitting the "Head Shop" a bit too much!

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    hahahaha.. He did tell me he had this "new one with a ""handle"" that he'd never seen.. G-10s.... 8)Ron

9. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Chef!

10. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Shenanigans.

11. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Here's a little back story on the EMP.

The EMP was based on the Springfield "Defender", which was basically a "short action" 1911 designed around the .45GAP.
    The "Defender" was scrapped and never saw production because of the durability of the alloy frame and the .45GAP.
    a year or so later, they came out with the EMP.

if there is one thing that we can thank Gaston Glock for is coming out with the .45GAP. If it wasn't for him, there may have never been an EMP.

12. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
  13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    As much trouble as SA had getting the EMP's to run with 9mm and 40, and the inherent issues with 3" 1911's I don't believe there's much hope either.. GOD save us from the GAP.. Cheers.. Ron

14. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    That's nonense. The EMP is a pistol smaller than a 1911 designed around the 9mm.

15. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I heard it was a new EMP 10mm coming out. That guy at your gun shop is nuts. :eyebrows:

16. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Wasn't that the early run that had extractor issues? Are new(er) EMPs still having those issues?

17. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Yes, pretty much word for word was the borth of the emp! When I post sometimes that it had originally been designed for the .45gap, I get laughed at and I lose them if I mention the Defender?? Since they came out with the all steel .40, I sometimes wondered if they'd ever push it into the .45 round. I'm still happy with my 9mm emp and enjoy the weight, accuracy, compactness, and great concealment. My edc, and is 100% reliable...I don't need the .45!

18. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo Member

Sep 17, 2011
    And the purpose of this would be what?

Gun was designed for the shorter rounds (9mm and 40S&W) and was actually originally designed for the 45GAP. As the GAP
    was not a commercial success they posponed it's "comin' out" until they could redesign it for the above rounds.

So if a 45 was in the works it would probably be a re intro of the 45 GAP. Doubt it though as its first run through the commercial
    gauntlet was hardly memorable.:der:

19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    None that I see... It was just a n odd comment from the LGS owner... Ron

20. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Yes, mine is SN 16xxx and it had extractor issues, as well as shooting 3" off (can't remember if it was high or low). Now, the extractor just needed to be tuned. I tried but apparently I failed! :laugh:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted