1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking about getting a Freedom Arms 475 Lnebaugh (or 454 Casull), perhaps for big game, though I love shooting high powered handguns and also like that this caliber is a bit exotic, as I already own a 454 and a number of 44 magnums. I have 2 concerns though, that I hope others can weigh in on
1-I’m a bit concerned about the lack of even 475 bullets at a reasonable price, much less ammo. I reload, so any suggestions or comments on good bullets for reloading at a reasonable price? Or even a good reloading manual (only one of my manuals has a single 475 load).

2- Is recoil really much different than 454 with regular (though not max) loads? For factory ammo would Underwood-level loads differ much in recoil between the two. I’m not very recoil sensitive, though my 454 is a Ruger Alaskan, which comes with the comfy hogue grips.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Or- If anyone in Illinois or Indiana has this gun I’d be happy to buy you a box of Underwood extreme penetrator and pay your range time if I could take 2 shots from it 😁

· Registered
7 Posts
I was thinking about getting a Freedom Arms 475 Lnebaugh (or 454 Casull), perhaps for big game, though I love shooting high powered handguns and also like that this caliber is a bit exotic, as I already own a 454 and a number of 44 magnums. I have 2 concerns though, that I hope others can weigh in on
1-I’m a bit concerned about the lack of even 475 bullets at a reasonable price, much less ammo. I reload, so any suggestions or comments on good bullets for reloading at a reasonable price? Or even a good reloading manual (only one of my manuals has a single 475 load).

2- Is recoil really much different than 454 with regular (though not max) loads? For factory ammo would Underwood-level loads differ much in recoil between the two. I’m not very recoil sensitive, though my 454 is a Ruger Alaskan, which comes with the comfy hogue grips.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Or- If anyone in Illinois or Indiana has this gun I’d be happy to buy you a box of Underwood extreme penetrator and pay your range time if I could take 2 shots from it 😁
I shoot a Linebaugh, custom made by Garry Reeder, very accurate and recoil is manageable. You can shot 480 ruger instead of 475 Linebaughs, kinda like 357 mag vs 38sp. Plenty of 475 bullets for reloading, buffalobore is on, bitterroot is another. Brass can be expensive but is available.

· Registered
2,399 Posts
Get a .460 S&W and don’t look back.
There’s nit a damn thing the .475 LB can do that .460 can’t. Period.
I had lots of fun with Zoid’s 460 at a couple of the Addicts Shoots.

I have no doubt you are right, functionally, except one thing- a 460 can’t become a Freedom Arms revolver- which is what I am planning to buy, in some caliber.
Ain’t nothing wrong with that line of thought.

· Registered
4,426 Posts
I sheepishly backed out of the .480 Ruger 5-shot SBH that I bought. I picked up a FA 97 in .41 Mag and it was uncomfortable. My hands got a bit older all of a sudden. I am very fond of the .475 bore size, especially in the Ruger round compared to the Linebaugh simply because I have no use for the extra power in the Linebaugh cartridge. Alas, I have officially wimped out and while I can still shoot the heavies, I just don't want to.

I found the 325gr. Speer Deep Curl to be pretty inexpensive, but it's relative while also being a relatively lightweight bullet. Jacketed bullets that size come in 50 count boxes generally. I like the XTP very, very much but I have no experience with them in the .475. I would seriously consider finding a mold that will drop the cast bullet you want.

I just picked up my first FA, the previously mentioned 97 in .41 mag. It is easily the finest revolver I have ever owned, but the 97 won't be in anything larger than .357 mag for me. If you pick up an FA or somehow get your hands on a .475 made by Linebaugh, Bowen, etc.(the Gary Reeder guns that were mentioned appear to be great shooters and very affordable compared to other customs. I don't like the polishing and engraving, but the function appears to be impressive.) I know you'll love it.

· Registered
67 Posts
I have limited experience with the 475 in a Freedom Arms, but I have shot one side by side with a 454. They weren't my guns or ammo, and it was long enough ago that I don't even remember if they were factory or handloads. I do remember that I found the 454 more objectionable than the 475. It didn't have that fast high pressure punch the 454 does.

Right after that I bought a FA 454, but 20+ years ago, just like today, 475's were harder to find and a lot more money used. I still "need" to get a 475 to round out the holy trinity of 5 shot conversions, (45 colt, 475, 500) but I do toy with getting a FA in 475 instead.
Only I never run across any used ones with shorter barrels, at an acceptable price. And since I really don't need it, even at used prices, I really really don't need one at new prices. :D

Get a .460 S&W and don’t look back.
There’s nit a damn thing the .475 LB can do that .460 can’t. Period.
Sure there is, it can fit into regular guns. Not just silly looking, oversized cartoonish ones. ;)

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well y’all didn’t do a sufficient job talking me out of this- so I ordered the 475, and will ship it to FA to have a 480 Ruger cylinder fit to it for somethimg a bit milder — if I hate it maybe it’ll end up on here someday (hopefully not)…

· Registered
12 Posts
@Merton it is end of year now, and for some strange reason I see several Ruger Redhawks shorties in .480 Ruger had appeared for sale (at about 1K).

I am tempted to just get one of those. The problem is, I do not plan to shoot full hose 480 Ruger (at least not often), and there are no 'downloaded' little sibling cartridges for the .480.
For .454 casull, there is .45 Colt.

I know that the .480 Ruger is a '.475 Linebaugh special' , but it would be nice to have access to lower power (and cheaper brass) to aid the non-hunting plinking experience.

So I am in the same bought as most folks, holding off on the .480 Ruger.

@Hurlow8 it would be great if you share your recent experiences with this family of cartridges.

· Registered
4,426 Posts
@Merton it is end of year now, and for some strange reason I see several Ruger Redhawks shorties in .480 Ruger had appeared for sale (at about 1K).

I am tempted to just get one of those. The problem is, I do not plan to shoot full hose 480 Ruger (at least not often), and there are no 'downloaded' little sibling cartridges for the .480.

I know that the .480 Ruger is a '.475 Linebaugh special' , but it would be nice to have access to lower power (and cheaper brass) to aid the non-hunting plinking experience.

@Hurlow8 it would be great if you share your recent experiences with this family of cartridges.
I had to let it go. The cartridge entirely. It's true, for all of it's muscle, the .480 Ruger IS the downloaded little sibling! I almost developed a flinch earlier this year and I have let go of "heavy" magnum cartridges. I can still shoot heavy .44 Special or .45 Colt if I need to, but my magnum cartridge shooting has been capped at .357. I just don't enjoy it any more and it's a shame. I had plans for the .500JRH as well, but the lightest .50's are pretty heavy.

I would say that in the case of the .480, something like a cast 300-325gr. at 900-1,000fps is going to be about as "light" as it gets. I believe that Trail Boss and cast bullets would be a good combo because of the huge amount of case capacity.

If I was to find myself really needing a gun like one of the short Super Redhawks, I very much like the ballistics and the record of .475 bullets on big and/or dangerous game.

· Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, I think you are pushing me to not consider .480.

I think .45 colt from something like a 4.5 inch Cimarron is something that I can see using for a long time.
The .480 downloading requires probably, like you are saying, a TrailBoss super-flake powder, as there are no 'smaller cases' available for this cartridge family.
Vs the .460 XVR -> .454 Casull -> .45 Colt. That family has a better 'ecosystem' so to speak, than the .480

I also recently looked into these gunadapters. to see if there something that can accommodate .480 Ruger -- but there is nothing there for the .480

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

no problem- I ended up getting two similar FA revolvers, the one in 475/480 and one in 454C. I found the 480 well less intense than the 454 (using factory, fairly standard, but hot, Underwood loads). I didn’t find any of them painful in these guns. I feel like the weight ofthe guns and the way the single action recoil rolls in your hands led them all to be very tolerable, even with wood grips. My 44 magnums (double actions) with wood grips are definitely more painful. I found the 480 (and even 475) a fun time to shoot. A few caveats though:
1- these are heavy revolvers (FA with 7in barrels).
2- I’m 44 years old, a bit of a gabout 220lb, and not really that recoil sensitive.
3 underwood ammo, while hot, doesn’t stretch the limits of these cartridges.

If you are anywhere around the Chicago area I’d be happy to let you try it out. Feel free to let me know if this raises other questions.

· Registered
14 Posts
I bought my first FA 454 casull back in 1996. My next one a year later, followed by a 475 Linebaugh when FA came out with theirs in about 1999.
I had a 45 colt cylinder for one of the casulls. Other than saving money with 45 colt brass, I preferred to just download the 454cases. Plenty of info online from John Taffin. Also FA use to list wide range of loads for 454 on their site.
If FA would sell the mod 83 in 45colt, like they did I think in the 80's, I would just buy that. Or have Linebaugh or Bowen build me one. With the loads from John Linebaugh, you would be surprised how close you can get to the casull.
Taffin also had lighter loads listed for the 475. I would not bother with the 480 ruger cylinder.
I recently sold both of my casulls, but I kept the 475. I'm not young anymore and shooting those heavy calibers for 25+ years has taken its toll. I don't hunt anymore but still like to shoot the 475 once in a while. Just not too many rounds. I think the 475 is the best big bore revolver cartridge available that will fit in a packable size gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts