close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

47D vs ETM mags

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by ajstrider, Sep 17, 2011.

1. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    With a new 1911 on the way I am in the market to buy some extra magazines for it. I really enjoyed the Wilson Combat 47D 8 rounders years ago when I had a Kimber. I see now there are ETM magazines out there from Wilson Combat. Which of these do you guys prefer, and should I consider 7 rounders instead? I see a lot internet discussions/arguments over 7 versus 8 rounds, and I want to hear what you guys have to say on this topic.

Thanks
    Andy

2. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2011
    I have a 47d and ETM mags and i personally like the good old traditional 47d's. I guess it all depends on what you are doing, if it is just fun at the range or competition and which one feeds best in your gun.. I bought two tripp research 7rd mags and it seems like the only ones i ever use. I don't like the 8rd mags sticking out the bottom of the pistol. I really don't see the advantage of 8rd mags, but hey this is just one guys opinion. In my gun the tripp research mags are the best fitting and a nice snap in and don't wiggle around, a nice solid feel. i don't think you can go wrong with any of the mags we mentioned here, they are all good. IMHO So there don't know if i helped, but there is one guys opinion for ya!

Mike

3. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    The original 8-rounders used the same tube length as conventional 7-round magazines. Changes to the follower allowed for an eighth round to squeeze in, at the cost of some reliability.

Newer 8-round magazines are built from the ground up to have an 8-round capacity. If you have a Guncrafter on the way, look hard at the Wilson ETMs. I just chatted with Dave at Guncrafter Industries a few days ago, and he recommended them. I've already been using them (along with CMC Power Mags and the included Checkmate) with good results.

Plus, Alex at Guncrafter designed the ETM magazines, so they kind of make sense for your Guncrafter 1911. :thumb:

Andy

4. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I originally bought 47Ds a long time ago. They where the best out there so I used them most of the time in all of my 1911s. The EMTs came out and it took me awhile to pick them up since it didn't seem like much of a difference. What I noticed was the springs where stiffer and lasted a lot longer compared to the 47D springs that got soft rather quickly. The follower has a slightly different design to them and the base plates are a tad better for quick reloads. The body on the EMTs may be a little stronger due to the witness cutout placement but I never had any issues with the 47Ds in that area.

5. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Yeah when I talked to Dave at GI, when I ordered my pistol, he said Alex helped design those, which got me looking at them. I haven't had a 1911 in 6 or 7 years so I had lost touch in the magazine world. Thanks guys.

6. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    The main difference between the two is the ease of seating a full mag when the slide is forward.
    With the extended magazine tube of the ETM, there's room for a tad more spring compression, which allows an almost fingertip seating of the mag.
    But you'll have to slam the 47D home, as just about all the room is already taken up with compressed spring.

7. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I have never had feeding issues with either of the magazines, but i do prefer the size of the basepad on the ETM

8. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I need to pick me up some ETM mags.

9. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    I really like the WC ETMs and I've had zero trouble, but I just ordered 3 Tripp Research Cobra Mags. Hopefully, they'll work well with my 1911s.

deadite

10. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I have never had troubles with either. I like the ETMs in guns with a magwell, because it covers up the extra length.

11. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Let me know! I will help you out and always have them in stock

12. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I LOVE the ETM mags for guns with a magwell, however my new TRP will not lock bag with the ETM mags, so I am looking for something else. I might try tripp research mags

13. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I have run across many a Springfield slide stop with the end that rides on the plunger, mis-shapen...might check that out first.

14. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    I use Wilson 47DAB's with my TRP and have never had any mag related issues. I do have 9mm ETMs but seem to like the 47 style better.

claire

15. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Never had a problem with the older Wilsons. Have two of the new ones. Don't see any difference so far.

16. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  17. AC45ACP

AC45ACP Member

Dec 21, 2011
    They both work awesome in My guns and so do CMC's in 8 and 10 rd mags

18. ltcfb118

ltcfb118 Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I love my 47 D magazines. Have six now with my Kimber HD Custom. Very solid product.

19. herdbull

herdbull Over The Top!

Jun 21, 2012
    They perform equally well in my 1911's and I have 35 mags overall for my 45ACP's. I have a few 7 rounders laying around in my ammo safe but never use them, why bother when I can use 8 round mags!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted