5-Shot Leather: My Review

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by John Ryder, Feb 12, 2012.

1. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I got on John's waiting list back in early December 2010 for a few holsters. I was able to find one of his holsters before my order so I knew the quality was there. He was one of few makers I could find who could make a holster for a Dawson light rail. I've been putting off my review for a while now and am not going to hold back any longer.

I was given a 6-9 month build time and was fine with that, after all quality takes time. I didn't have much of a choice since getting nice leather for a DLR is hard to come by. I left John be, I figured there was no need to email him about updates since it was only taking away from his time making holsters. Around the 9 month mark I decided it was appropriate to send and email just to see where I was on his list. His response was fairly slow but eventually he sent a one line response of "it should be soon." I thought it was rather unprofessional but let it be.

I was fine with a little longer wait and kept waiting, one month went by...nothing, two, still nothing. I sent another email in November asking if I was any closer since I was in need of leather and was planning that his estimated timeline was close. The response I was given in November was a few weeks and it would be my name at the top.

Here it is 3 months later...nothing, no email, no phone call, nothing. I've wasted 14 months on this guy and have nothing to show for it. I've been more than reasonable seeing as I was told 9 months. I was able to find someone else who also had there time wasted by 5-Shot, so I'm happy I'm not alone on my business not being appreciated. Luckily I didn't have to give the guy a deposit...

This is yet another reason why I'm done dealing with anything "custom" unless I really trust the name. I'm not going to cry over spilled milk, just going to warn people about wasting their time with this guy. He may make excellent holsters, but if you never get you order, what does it matter?

WHEELS likes this.
  2. Bodyarmorguy

Bodyarmorguy Member

Aug 20, 2011
    John, I am both surprised and sorry to hear about your bad experience with 5 Shot Leather. I will offer up an opposing opinion. I received my first 5 Shot Leather IBS with a custom build from Jason Burton. I was so impressed with the quality and design of that holster that when the time came for holsters for other pistols and needs, John Ralston was the first person I turned to. He was responsive to my phone call to him for the order for both an IBS and CBS along with a single mag pouch for a Glock 22. All of the products were delivered faster than the promised delivery date with no compromise in quality.

I continue to watch his website and Facebook page for available holsters as a result of a customer cancelation or releasable prototypes. This diligence found me receiving a SAP in black and trimmed in shark with immediate delivery. Reach out to John and explain, I am willing to bet that he will make it right.

WHEELS likes this.

3. John Ryder

Aug 19, 2011
    I'm glad you had a good experience with 5-Shot, I had a CBS and felt it was an excellent holster. I wanted to order several holsters from him due to the quality and fair prices. I feel I have been more than reasonable in dealing with John but I have no plans of giving him any more chances, he's had plenty. I've been more than understanding and have already talked with another holster maker to get me what I need.

5-Shot has lost my business and recommendation for life...

WHEELS likes this.
  4. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Had a similar experience at another holster maker's shop.He has health issues so I understand where he was coming from BUT,having said that,when your quoted 12 weeks and it can turn into 12 months without notice,that's not right either.

That's the issue with 1 man shops, whether it's guns or holsters.

DAT85

WHEELS likes this.
  5. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    So one of the most talented custom leather holster makers in the world, not CONUS, took longer than you were quoted. You provided no deposit and you're disappointed you didn't get more numerous and more content in the form of emails.

When I called Ralston he answered the phone.

You don't appear to understand the concept here. This is not a company with multiple employees. ala Sparks. This is one person with two hands and is one of the best at what he does. What you experienced is common with true custom work no matter the product.

WHEELS likes this.
  6. John Ryder

Aug 19, 2011

Yeah, thanks for your insight but I'm well aware of the "concept" here, I know he is a one-man shop and have dealt with custom shops many times; both leather and firearm. I have already talked with another one-man shop and have gotten more communications in two weeks than I got in 14 months with 5-Shot, so so much for what you're trying to dig for.

If someone can't come even close to their quote times, they should really rethink what they tell people. Perhaps you like to not plan and have your time wasted, that's your deal. I've been needing a holster and PLANNED around the time I was given.

Communication says it all for me, if he doesn't care enough about the customers who've been waiting over a year to at least give them some idea he's still alive and their orders should be started soon, he doesn't care about my business. Like I said, he may make the best holsters in the world but if I never get my order I'll never know.

WHEELS likes this.
  7. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    It seems to me that being on time is a very simple concept. If I'm late for work, I get fired. If I tell someone I'll meet them for lunch at noon and don't show up til four, they're pissed. If I get overnight delivery from UPS, I expect my shipment the next day. If I shipped magazines later than I'm supposed to, we have to give the customer a partial refund. I expect people to be on time, if they can't be then they need to give more realistic quote times.

WHEELS likes this.
  8. 5Shot

5Shot New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    I have contacted John Ryder regarding the poor customer service he received on his order. I can fault nobody but myself (there is no one else here), but I am trying to make it right.

I also look upon this as an opportunity to improve - if nobody tells you what you aren't doing correctly, you can't change it. I am taking steps to improve my order process and improve delivery. I have a new web site in the works with online ordering (without taking payment up front) that will email a confirmation of the order, and will create a spread sheet of all the orders so I can sort them to group like orders. It will also allow me to get a better idea of my backlog and do a better job of quoting lead times. I have also closed my order book for the next 6 weeks to get a handle on my current backlog.

Hopefully JR will come back to comment after he receives his leather (good or bad).

I understand his frustration, and I am frustrated as well - I let him down and that isn't something that sits well with me.

WHEELS likes this.
  9. RaginCajun

RaginCajun Got Guns, Got Freedom Supporting Addict

Oct 20, 2011
    +1 for 5shot, hopefully he can turn a bad situation into a great experience. With the demand for pistols these days, I can only imagine how hard it is to keep up with demand, especially when your dealing with a 1 man op, that produces excellent quality. Hopefully everybody makes out here and we see another top quality 5Shot product.

10. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    :welcometo:

Thanks for taking the time to join here and attempting to make things right! :thumb:

DAT85

11. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    JR I hope this gets settled for you in a timely manner and you are satisfied with the end result.

5 shot I commend you on your public apology.

12. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Guys, this IS stepping up to the plate.

Have a 5Shot IWB that I bought from an individual for 3" guns. It would be worth quite a wait!

Bob

13. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I'll throw in my thoughts as I too placed an order for the OS-1 many, many months ago and at that time John mentioned it would probably in the queue sometime last October. This thread is interesting as I received an e-mail yesterday from John that my order was ready to be made and he asked if I would still want the holster. I did but wanted to change it to the IBS. He responded several times by e-mail to double check loop color, etc. I asked when it might arrive in Texas and he responded that it would be about a week. Looks like once you're in the queue, you'd better start getting ready to break it in. I have purchased several of John's holsters from individuals over several years and find them to be among the most acutely and accurately molded holsters available. Gun fit is perfect, although I have found that with his holsters and others, if one puts a Baer into a Colt holster, it might be a tad tight. I doubt that most holster makers have "Baer" molds. The zip-lock bag takes care of most tight fits when the Baer needs a little more room. As with John's apparent delay issues, I have no problem with it at all but understand others frustrations. I have 3 Brigade holsters that were being "made" several years ago and they finally arrived 8 months later. That ordeal was a nightmare. I've dealt with Eric Adams of adamsleatherworks as he works here in Dallas. He made a holster for a New Agent several years ago and the muzzle was sticking out the end. I met him one morning and a week later the new holster was ready to go and perfect. And he does this on the side in addition to a full time job. I realize that promises about delivery should be honored, but they are one-man operations. I'll continue to do business with John in the future based on his product, not his turnaround time. If I want a holster for a gun that holds a light, siren, pepper spray, switchblade and 10 toothpicks, and I need it 2 weeks, I'll call Blade-Tech.

tw

14. Retired

Retired New Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My experience in communicating with 5 Shot Leather has been just the opposite of the OP. I've sent several e-mails to John Ralston, and left several telephone messages. He has always replied within 24 hours. In our telephone conversations, he always takes time to answer all of my questions.

I think you simply need to be patient when ordering from a true one-man shop. So many things can interrupt his production schedule, I'm surprised a solo craftsman can give estimates at all. I'm confident that once John has my order, all I have to do is wait for his phone call notifying me that I'm next in line. John doesn't ask for payment until then, and he understands that you might now want to order a completely different holster.

15. 5Shot

5Shot New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Hopefully this will help to clear the air and get things back to a fresh start for the OP and 5 Shot Leather, LLC.

Custom IBS - Lowered Ride Height, 7 Deg. Rake, Molded for Dawson Rail and CT Laser Grips. Shipping out today.

6800734938_d2eed35f29_b.jpg

Whiten likes this.
  16. 5Shot

5Shot New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    If anyone reading this has been waiting for over 12 months and is concerned that something might have slipped through the cracks, just shoot me an email and I will look into it. Once the new web site is up and running, each customer will get a sequential order number in their confirmation email, and these issues should be eliminated.

17. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    That's some nice looking leather.

18. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    good lookin holster there.

19. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    John........Great looking holster and kudos to you for making all things good. I'm looking forward to the IBS coming my way soon. My SA and Baer are anticipating its arrival..................

tw

20. 5Shot

5Shot New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    It should be on its way Monday...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted