close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

5000 Round Report - SA Custom

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by John Ryder, Oct 1, 2011.

1. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I feel like a sissy reporting only 5,000 rounds, but I had planned to have many more rounds through this pistol. Unfortunately, that did not work in my favor, but as of late, this pistol hasn't been giving me any lip. I received this pistol about 11 months ago and planned to use it as a test subject. I wanted to see if a 1911 was the right pistol for me and figured a year of shooting only one pistol and a planned 10,000+ rounds was a worthwhile plan. Things didn't go as planned, but nothing I can do about it now. I still like shooting this pistol and may keep a 1911 in my CCW use. I wanted to sell this pistol but I guess some viewed it a cursed or thought it had too high of a round count and blah, so much "let me know if you ever want to sell it" type comments, ha.

Fast-forward to now, I ran this pistol though a basic course recently just to see how it was running since it had been a few months since I shot it last. It ran perfectly through the course, which I was worried about honestly and brought a spare 1911 AND a "polymer" 9mm just in case. The poor guy next to me had a Volkmann that didn't fair too well, I ended up loaning him my Wilson so he could finish the class using what 45 ammo he brought. I think he was planning to sell the pistol altogether and get something more modern, and I can't blame the guy.

My pistol just as accurate as it was when I bought it, maybe even more so now. It has loosened up quite a bit in just 5000 rounds. It rattles just like my GI and Colt, which are known to be looser. My pistol doesn't have the "ball-bearing" feel but it never really did because I think Ionbond is a little gritty and you feel it. I still have some concerns about some wear but it is nothing my upcoming pictures will show. I have spoken with SA about it and they say there is nothing to worry about. I will let time decide if there is a problem and I continue shooting this pistol.

I took a few pictures, mainly out of boredom so they are not of the best quality. To summarize my feelings on this pistol, I like it. WHEN it isn't acting up it is a blast to shoot, now, my feelings on SA...I'll leave that be.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

Ionbond has held up really well. I use kydex for range holsters and it has yet to show any exterior wear from presentations. The insides are holding up well too, at least compared to most of the paint finishes.

The only thing that stands out to me is the rear slide/frame fit is no longer flush. It appears to be setting forward slightly. Since I don't have another 1911 with the same/similar round count doing the same thing, I don't know if it is normal or not. I couldn't get my camera to focus so I'm sure the pic won't tell much.
    [​IMG]

3. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I still want it :grin:

4. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Nice. I hope that pistol ends up being a real champ for you. Put an ambi on it and it would be a perfect setup for me...

5. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    That is a beautiful pistol man. I am glad that it is working out for you.

6. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2011
    How does the trigger stay so nice and have no wear marks on it? Is ionbond that good? That pistol is excellent looking and nice pics.

7. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Couldn't say for sure. I think it wear on the trigger has more to do with the fit than anything else. If there is a burr or something, I think any finish would show wear with time. Normally I don't both with having the trigger coated, but I wanted the all black look on this one.

I think IB is tops for wear resistance, at least in my experience with various treatments/finishes I've had over the years.

8. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks, I need to get that done, I can't stand the silver trigger on my black valor. By the way I love the flat trigger also, it's Quack's fault...LOL

9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks for the review and photos. Looks like it's holding up pretty well.

The slide not fitting flush would jar me a little too. I'm interested in hearing others' thoughts on it.

Andy

10. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Your mention of your classmate's Volkmann crappin' out is the second time I have read about those being dogs.
    I believe in the other instance ,one went full auto on the shooter at a public range.

Thanks for the report and glad you did well with your Springer!

DAT85

11. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member Supporting Addict

Sep 10, 2011
    I always liked this pistol and was about moments away from emailing you to buy it at your BIN price but then i found my professional. Glad to hear its running good! im not sure what issues you've had with SA but im glad you decided to keep this thing around. I look forward to seeing what it looks like at 10K rounds

12. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    I think that all black is sweet!

claire

13. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I had been looking at buying one before they jacked their base price so high and remember a similar story that changed my mind. Something about it tripling out of the box and still doubling after a return trip. I felt bad for the guy at my class, he didn't strike me as a 1911 guy and he bought the pistol because he thought being expensive it wouldn't give him trouble. I think he was planning to sell it and buy a Glock 9mm or M&P...can't blame the guy either.

I'm kinda glad I didn't sell it now, not because I'm attached to it but because I would have lost more on it than anything. I figure anyone who really wanted it could have stepped up but they didn't. SA has pissed me off and I'll leave it at that...

Thanks, I think I'm sticking to the all black look for future 1911's.

14. AUplainsman

AUplainsman New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    A great looking 1911 there, no doubt. That ionbond has really held up well it seems. Glad to hear she's still running strong through the 5000 round mark!

15. RMA

RMA Active Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Good to see you have 5k thru her by now. Shame it had never sold & perhaps it is a sign it was never meant to be but now that it is performing flawlessly this should be your primary go to 1911 (next to your CQB that is). I really need to start to detail strip a 1911 such as what you have displayed in your pics & I am sure after attending LAV's course come early January I will feel more comfortable in doing so.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted