1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
1911 connoisseur
To many to list
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was in my LGS and noticed they had a 586 no dash 4" with original box and about 95% bluing still intact with a light turn line.

He was asking 995.00 (would let it go for 1000.00 OTD) serial number on the box is 3229.

Good buy? and anybody have an idea of the date of manufacture? I thought I'd post in a couple subs to get the most action.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
That’s a good price with the original box. I believe the 586 no dash was produced between 1981 and 1985.

Reactions: sechip88

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you don’t already have one (586 / 686), then I would not hesitate to pick one up. I’ve got a 586-8 with 4” barrel and it is superb in all aspects. It will handle 357 all day long, embodies that classic beauty, and is incredibly accurate.

No kidding, the very first shot I took with it I hit dead center from 7 yards. My jaw dropped and a big stupid smile appeared on my face. Needless to say, my other guns stayed in the bag on that particular range trip. I shoot it better than anything else I own.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
1911 connoisseur
To many to list
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don’t already have one (586 / 686), then I would not hesitate to pick one up. I’ve got a 586-8 with 4” barrel and it is superb in all aspects. It will handle 357 all day long, embodies that classic beauty, and is incredibly accurate.

No kidding, the very first shot I took with it I hit dead center from 7 yards. My jaw dropped and a big stupid smile appeared on my face. Needless to say, my other guns stayed in the bag on that particular range trip. I shoot it better than anything else I own.

View attachment 993802
Beautiful gun, absolutely love the blue. I just picked up a stainless 686 plus Talo 3" for my first revolver and thought this one would be a good compliment to that one.

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Revolver Gun barrel

You won’t regret it. I’ve loved every 586/686 that I’ve owned. My current one is a 586-1 in nickel.

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
If I’m being honest I think the early 586/686 revolvers I’ve owned give my Colt Python serious competition.

·
Grip Maker and FFL Dealer
943 Posts
Congrats, but the serial number you listed is the wrong format. You'll have to remove the grips to get the serial number on the bottom of the butt. If there's a number inside the crane other than the 586, that's NOT the serial number for the gun. S&W revolvers always had the serial number on the bottom of the butt.

I have the same one, a 1983 no dash and they are fantastic guns. Now start keeping your eye out for a nice set of S&W stocks for it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Congrats, but the serial number you listed is the wrong format. You'll have to remove the grips to get the serial number on the bottom of the butt. If there's a number inside the crane other than the 586, that's NOT the serial number for the gun. S&W revolvers always had the serial number on the bottom of the butt.

I have the same one, a 1983 no dash and they are fantastic guns. Now start keeping your eye out for a nice set of S&W stocks for it.
Im with Olympus, kick those grips to the curb and get a nice set of stocks.
That gun is gorgeous! You got a good deal on it. That is something you can hang on to and enjoy forever. Classic beauty

·
1911 connoisseur
To many to list
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im with Olympus, kick those grips to the curb and get a nice set of stocks.
That gun is gorgeous! You got a good deal on it. That is something you can hang on to and enjoy forever. Classic beauty
I agree with both of you, now to find some…
Any leads on some S&W checkered wood stocks would be greatly appreciated.
Looked at Eagle grips I believe and their lead time is like 12 weeks if I remember correctly.

·
Grip Maker and FFL Dealer
943 Posts
I agree with both of you, now to find some…
Any leads on some S&W checkered wood stocks would be greatly appreciated.
Looked at Eagle grips I believe and their lead time is like 12 weeks if I remember correctly.
I mean you can go aftermarket, but I meant an original set of S&W stocks. Keep an eye on the parts and accessories classifieds on various forums, including the S&W forum.

·
Premium Member
KGB Colt LW 9mm Commander
1,062 Posts
Congrats OP nice score those S&W revolvers can be shot a lot without timing issues like Colt Pythons had back in the day.

As others stated that would look even better with nice wood stock grips 👍🏻

1 - 20 of 28 Posts