629 Mountain Revolver/Mountain Gun

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by ferretray, Mar 5, 2019.

1. ferretray

ferretray Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Looking at getting a 629/.44 Magnum Mountain Gun.
    I read somewhere that the -5 was the brst version.
    Would appreciate feedback from those experienced with these models.
    Tia, Ray

2. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    From memory- the 629-4 was the last of the no MIM, firing pin on hammer guns.
    The 629-5 utilized MIM parts, floating FP and a few other changes.
    Subjectively, the -4 is the model I'd look for.

I have two that are keepers:
    [​IMG]

3. Xringchaser

Xringchaser Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2019
    I have a dash 3 and it’s awesome. I’m not 100% sure but I’ll bet the dash 5 is the last version without the Internal Lock? If so, it would have the MIM trigger and not the hammer nose firing pin.
    I have some other S&W revolvers in the same configuration and they are great guns.
    The .45 ACP version Mountain Gun that I have is similar, doesn’t have the hammer mount firing pin and does have the MIM trigger. It might be the smoothest S&W that I’ve shot. Very accurate and the trigger pull is fantastic!
    Someone did a great job on it. If I miss what I’m aiming at, it definitely is my fault.

rmac and 41 Charlie like this.
  4. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Perfect size in an N frame. Enjoy the search.

5. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I don't know where you're located , but Nick's Gun and Pawn i Washington , Mo . has what you're looking for . Don't discount other models though . I have a 6.5 inch 629-1 , 3 inch 629 Talo , 2.75 inch 69 . All great guns . The 3 inch 629 and 2.75 inch 69 are great for hiking or backpacking also .

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    gps man, rmac and 41 Charlie like this.
  6. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    ^^^ This ^^^
    Mike is correct. Lots of 629 options. I'm a big fan of the 3" Lew Horton c. 1985.

20171111_135618.jpg

gps man, gaijin, Scaramouche and 2 others like this.
  7. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    The original was the 629-2. The 629-4 would be my choice if I wanted the best that also has the hammer mounted firing pin. If you prefer the frame mounted firing pin, then the 629-5 would be the only choice without going to the guns with the lock. If the 629-3 has the rear sight with the rounded off front edge, it would also be an excellent choice. Best wishes on finding the one you desire.

8. Just Terry

Just Terry Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I believe the # 5 change is the first with the larger locking slots on the cylinder. I have had cylinders disengage the locking lugs on old Model 29`s on firing. Never heard of a MIM part failing on a revolver

9. Joni Lynn

Dec 21, 2014
    That is what is called the endurance package and it first appeared on the 29-3E and 629-3. The rounded rear sight I previously mentioned marked the addition of the accuracy package.

gps man, gaijin, 41 Charlie and 2 others like this.
  10. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Per S&W catalog 4th edition....In the base model 629 ...the 629-5 change is where MIM trigger & floating firing pin first show up --- so no, in my view it is not the best one ...its a model to avoid - especially in terms of resale down the road. 629-6 in 2001 is when the internal locks start showing up.

First note of a Mountain gun is in 1989 ( engineering dash 2 )...4" light weight barrel, chamfered cylinder, round butt Pachmayr grips, etc. / ....In 1993 ( dash 4 )... same spec on gun but it has Hogue rubber monogrips still round butt.

Not to be confused with "mountain backpacker" models in 3" & 4"..../ some Lew Horton specials made in 1997 with a square butt.../ or the RSR guns the Trail Boss....

Colorado Sonny and rmac like this.
  11. Joni Lynn

Dec 21, 2014
    These are some of my favorite S&W's. The original 629-2 was called the Mountain Revolver. The models after that were called Mountain Guns. Except for finish differences and engineering changes from -2, -3, -4, etc not much other difference.
    There was also a small run of 629-2 Mt Revolvers named 'Mountain Lion'. It was from the series of twelve revolvers done for a distributor.

12. Joni Lynn

Dec 21, 2014
    A couple of my S&W's. Both are 629-2 dressed in custom Herrett's made of California Claro Walnut. View attachment 233087

13. 41 Charlie

Feb 4, 2014
    Beautiful, Lynnie!

Joni Lynn likes this.
  14. Joni Lynn

Dec 21, 2014
    Thank you. The bottom one was my fathers. He had it MagNaPorted and an action job done by same, the top one is mine and remains 100% stock except for the Jordan Trooper stock.

15. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I'm drooling .

41 Charlie likes this.
  16. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    My bank account hates me going into Nick’s!

They usually have something I have to buy.

41 Charlie likes this.
  17. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Very nice! That’s the first Mountain Lion I’ve seen.

Joni Lynn likes this.
  18. 41 Charlie

Feb 4, 2014
    Nicks can be a little overwhelming. Lot’s of inventory, stacked close together, and difficult to read the tags (model - price - etc.). But... he’s got some good stuff. Always worth the trip!

rmac and gps man like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted