65 guns and not one 1911

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by BBP, Aug 2, 2020.

1. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    Heading out this morning to look at and try and buy a 65 gun collection. Sadly not even one 1911 in the lot. What's wrong with people

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

ronin11, Uncle Bob, FWoo45 and 18 others like this.
  2. JRK1990

JRK1990 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I gotta confess, I currently don't own a 1911 right now. I got what feels like a million 556 rifles couple glocks, p226, zenith mp5 clone and a Alamo Precision rifle in 280 ackley. I need to get another 1911 or a 2011 but I keep getting distracted elsewhere

Greg M. likes this.

3. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    ouuuuu!!!!

Cant wait to see whats in the haul!

Whiten and Greg M. like this.
  4. Mudflap621

Mudflap621 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2020
  5. FrankG

FrankG Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 24, 2018
    Thought that was in a rule book somewhere. “Gun Collection Defined”: an assembly of items such as works of art, pieces of writing, or natural objects, especially one systematically ordered. If Collection includes guns, at least one must be of the 1911 design.

Uncle Bob, FWoo45, simonp and 3 others like this.
  6. Mike0707

Mike0707 JMB fan

Apr 11, 2019
    Wow.... what are people thinking???? :)

7. WoodrowAugustus

WoodrowAugustus Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Sad, but there is still potential. The best gun collection I’ve ever seen in person was a guy who only collected Winchester lever actions, Colt snake guns, and Colt SAAs. It was incredible to behold.

Uncle Bob, FWoo45, simonp and 4 others like this.
  8. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    I appraised a collection outside of Austin a few years ago - over 250 firearms, and only one was a 1911. The guy was more of an accumulator than a collector, though - life-long bachelor that had gun safes in every room in the house almost. Most were milsurps - but there were a few treasures in the bunch. The estate initially wanted to sell them off themselves to maximize the return (on a 10+ million dollar estate), but that changed when they had some "issues" with the first sale attempt (yeah - police were called), and they asked me to take them to our shop and sell 'em. I (literally) filled the back of my 3/4-ton Ram CC to the top with long guns, plus the back and front passenger seat with handguns. My youngest son ran "chase" for me (he's an LEO) and we filled the back of HIS car with long guns, as well. Had him along mainly because part of our route took us through Austin - and the liberals running THAT city would have had vapors if they saw the load!
    We tossed together a couple of racks for the long guns at the shop - this will give you an idea. Oh, yeah - he DID have an M1 Garand that I bought, along with several other interesting guns I couldn't resist.

Estate.JPG

KS95B40, ronin11, FWoo45 and 10 others like this.
  9. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    1155689E-2BC2-47FD-9D36-48327B600C13.jpeg

10. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Woweezer, quite a collection and an interesting experience. Wonder what would happen to a collection like that if it was in California? Probably immediate confiscation. Thanks for sharing this.

11. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I love milsurps myself...Gave most of mine to my nephew. He is the only one left in the family that loves shooting hunting and guns..

gps man likes this.
  12. M Yaworski

M Yaworski Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    An acquaintance told me about a wonderful find that he stumbled across. Back in the mid 70s, he was recently graduated from college, married, with a fresh mortgage. Consequently, he and his wife went garage sale shopping for home furnishings.

He was wearing some gun related cap and the lady doing one sale saw it and asked him if he was interested in guns. "Sure am." She told him that her husband had passed away and he had had some guns and she wanted to sell them, was he interested in taking a look? "Sure."

He has no idea what he's going to see and she takes him into the house and to a room in the basement that has rack after rack of rifles. Mausers of every vintage, Winchesters, Canardly-Shutes, and much more all in great shape. He's looking around trying to figure out which ONE he could possibly afford. He's starting to explain to the lady what a treasure trove she has and how she needs to get a pro in there to evaluate the collection when her son walks in.

The son strikes an attitude and says, "We're not going to let you rip us off, we won't take less than $2,000 for the lot!" My acquaintance says that he has to talk to his wife.

He goes to his wife and explains that they need to spend the money, even if it means living on rice and beans for a while. She agrees and he cuts a check for $2k. He had a Chevy wagon and they loaded that to the gills, bottoming out the suspension.

He marked a few to keep and started selling off the others. He paid off his mortgage and made a healthy start on a retirement account.

I never find deals like that. :-(

13. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    Well about 85%-90% 22lr.

Nothing overly exciting. He had another shop out yesterday and is giving them until tomorrow to make an offer. I brought cash hoping we could make a deal on the spot. He wasn't ready to accept an offer so I decided to take some time today to go over my notes.

Always a shame when sights are missing off rifles and rails and such are added.

I hate not getting to load up the car today. Don't like wasting time.

FWoo45, Mike0707, AGENT P and 3 others like this.
  14. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Been on THOSE kinds before....lol Had a local gal late last year that inherited quite a few guns from her estranged father. Another local gun guy and I met her at her place, gave her value ranges and a good website to sell them on. She posted up the first batch of four - all listed for mid-range of what we suggested....and they sat there the entire day. Lots of comments, "interested" posts - but not a single offer. I gave 'em 12 hours, then messaged her and made her a cash offer on all four. She accepted, an' I ended up with some REALLY nice guns at a VERY fair price. Ultimately bought 5 more from her - including a Ruger Mini-14 that I'd never seen before. It was from back when Bill was still alive, and all his posturing about "evil black rifles".... Apparently, his marketing department took some of their LEO-only SBR's, mounted extended flash suppressors on 'em, and quietly sold 'em when he wasn't looking. I'm still trying to decide whether to keep it, knock the suppressor off and register it, or just sell it like it sits. I've already got 6 AR's, plus a couple AR SBR's, so.....

razorbacker likes this.
  15. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    Yeah, never know how it's going to go. I have another one I working on, but I need the safe guy to come out and open three safes that she doesn't have the combos for.

The Ruger sounds pretty cool.

16. Mike0707

Mike0707 JMB fan

Apr 11, 2019
    Ya- that's too bad!

17. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    Even worse because he emailed later and said a friend wanted to buy 4 of the guns and he wanted an offer for all and an offer less the 4 guns. I just sent an offer for all and didn't bother with an offer -4 guns. See what happens.

18. Mike0707

Mike0707 JMB fan

Apr 11, 2019
    I was gonna "like" that :) But that stinks...... man. Wish people would make a decision, huh?

BBP likes this.
  19. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    It goes to show that quantity does not equal class.

FWoo45 and BBP like this.
  20. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Been there, seen that. Then there's a classic collection of pre-64 Winchesters. Except he didn't have a 70X which is my holy grail.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted