650ish rounds today at a class

Discussion in 'Training' started by 7.62Kolectr, Dec 15, 2018.

1. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    Took another Threat Focused pistol class today. All drawing, numerous different positions and different drills many with reloads. Shot a bit more than 650rnds.
    I have to say that while I own several different makes and numerous different models of 1911s this one just seems built 'right'.
    I got it a couple weeks ago. I took up apart, checked it, lubed it and shot 364rnds thru it with a couple different types of ammo. 0 MFs.
    Today I put a couple drops of Wilson Ultima lube on the barrel hood and racked the slide a few times. And then I proceeded to fire 650+ rounds of UMC 230gr FMJs. Not one time did it do anything other than what it's supposed to do and that is to bang.

Nighthawk Bull Commander
    Wilson black ETM mags
    900 rnds Remington UMC 230gr FMJ
    100rnds Remington 230gr JHP Golden Saber

ZERO MFs. And today during the class it rained for about 1-2hrs. Nada, nothing not even a reason to worry. The only thing I'd prefer would be a medium length trigger instead of a short one.c

If Bobby Bowden was to comment on it as he did for his running backs he'd say 'Dat gun kin run!!!'
    This particular gun just seems 'right'.

IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Do you mind if I ask where?

I want to start taking some classes, and I'm trying to figure out my options.

Glad to hear your NHC worked out for you.

7.62Kolectr likes this.

3. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    I don't mind at all. This particular one was in South Florida where I live at a range called Okeechobee Shooting Sports which is about an hour away from me.
    Do you liive in this area?

4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Thanks for the info.

I live up in Pennsylvania, not far from Philly.

I see that Gunsite Academy holds some classes at a facility in Virginia, which would save me the cost of airfare.

There us also the SIG Sauer Academy up in New Hampshire.

But, I'm always curious if there are some other hidden gems out there that might cost less while offering the same quality of instruction.

5. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    Yes I'd like to take a refresher course. API in 1983 was along time ago. I can't find a decent place in Kentucky.

6. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    @PewPewPtwang check out the instructor sticky at the top of the training forum. You'll need to do some further research but it would be a great starting point.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  7. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Why is it that we make a big deal out of some few hundred rounds without a malfunction out of our 1911s? Is that unusual or something? The Glock guys would laugh at you for bragging about that. For them it takes several thousand rounds without cleaning and without a single malfunction before you can even think about posting.

limbkiller likes this.
  8. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Around 81 reloads... That is a lot of reloading! Nice looking gun.

7.62Kolectr likes this.
  9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    @7.62Kolectr, did you find the need to relube your gun during the class? What lube did you use? I presume you started the day with a cleaned and lubed pistol.

10. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    I started the class with the gun in same condition it was in from about two weeks ago when I first shot it. I shot it then and did a quick clean on it. I lubed it then, few drops inside slide rails and drop on guide rod before reassembly, drop or two of oil on top of barrel hood and then a drop of oil wiped around barrel from a locked open position. Only other thing I did then was put a drop in between the safety and the plunger and work it a few times. Loaded it up and carried it since then.
    I ran thru the mag in the gun and three spares I carry right at the outset just to make sure all things would have worked had they been needed. And then the rest of the day all FMJs.
    No I didn't have to lube it again at all throughout the day. Only thing I did was put a drop of oil again onto the safety lever. It was getting a bit sticky after we were in the rain for a little while.
    I used the red Wilson Ultima Universal for this.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  11. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    True. I don't know why it is like that with 1911s? I expect them to run outta the box as reliable as can be. Guess I'm just happy it does.
    There was a woman having diffulty with her P365 and another guy who had some issues with his Glock, but he had swapped a bunch of parts in it so it's difficult to know what was causing his problems.

Denver1911 likes this.
  12. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Yeah, the only Glocks I’ve seen trouble with were ones with swapped parts or from folks who didn’t hold the gun solid when they fired. That said, my personal experience is that 1911s don’t feed and eject as reliably as Glocks.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted