1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 CMC SS 8 rd mags. They were intended to to be used for my Commander.
They also say Shooting Star on the follower.

We get to have a 9 rds rather than an 8 shot pistol & that's great, but I am having real issues.
At the range yesterday I really tested the new Mags. They worked, but had some
problems feeding the first round from mag.

Every time I hit the slide release the 230gr FMJ would hit & feed. When I say hit
I mean it feels like the nose of the bullet hits the feed ramp hard, then feeds.
It jerks the hand not a smooth feed at all.

Wonder why the 1911 came with 7rd mags forever. When & why did this change to
8rd mags. Does anyone else have problems with 8 rd mags?

All my CM Military 7rd mags feed smoothly without this feel of impact first, then feed.
Military Mags made by CM with Wollfe spring & rounded SS follower by Pachmyer.
My go to mags for 35 years new spring & follower is outstanding.

Does any of this make sense?
I am going back to the Blue 7rd CM mags for now. Something is not right.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
No one has problems w/ quality, 8rd mags. Some mags need to break-in. I was having issues w/ three Tripp mags that everyone on the gun forums swears-by. But those problems seem to be disappearing as I use them.

Try loading them and let them set for awhile (a week or two), then begin using them. Everybody loves CMC mags (mine work fine), so let them break-in.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Lots of questions come to mind.
But, basically, the first round nosedives and does hit the ramp low. The good news is that, being a RN, it does feed. With a hollowpoint, it might actually jam against the ramp and NOT feed.

Different mags will nosedive to different degrees. After weeks of trying different ammo and having nosedives and 3-point jams, I decided 10 rd mags were not for me and went to 8. For carry, I use 7 +1, the way it was designed to be.

You have to choose your battles. If you're determined to load 8+1, you might try different brands until you get lucky.

But, if a 230RN is your preferred carry load, and as long as it feeds 100%, I see it as a "Hmmm... it sucks that it feels bumpy", rather than "I have a problem."

"All my CM Military 7rd mags feed smoothly without this feel of impact first, then feed." What about the CMC's loaded with 7?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The 1911 chambered in 45 ACP is the Worlds Finest Close Quarters Sidearm… and...King of feedway stoppages. -Ken Hackathorn

And the magazines interaction with the rest of the pistol seems to be the weakest link. Mags are the weakest link in any bottom feeder pistol but 1911s are especially sensitive IMHO because there are so many brands of 1911s, 1911 part and 1911 mags. These days a lot of manufacturers treat the JMB spec as a suggestion not a rule. The 8 round mag is perfect example of this. The mentality that drives it is capacity is king.

The changes in tolerances stack on each other. They sometimes produce failures. These failures vary from one pistol to another. Sometimes even one mag to another of the same brand in the same gun. It is the nature of the beast.

This is why I recommend marking your mags. Keeping track of which ones work in which guns and any that are problematic across more than one gun pitch them. With this platform there is always going to be some trial and error. I have found that in general Tripps 8 rounders work in every gun. I have. Every now and then I run into a gun that does not like them but for the most part they run in everything and have become my go to mag.

Reactions: Badabing11

·
Registered
768 Posts
I used CMC Powermags for quite a while. They all did what you describe. The only issues I ever had with them were an occasional inertia feed with self defense ammo (never a problem with ball) and failure to lock back with some mag followers. I now use Wilson ETM +P/HD mags and they feed very nicely. I had one that would fail to feed on the first round once in a while and another that would kachunk when feeding the first round. They were both well broken in. I sent them to Wilson for replacement.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Lots of questions come to mind.
But, basically, the first round nosedives and does hit the ramp low. The good news is that, being a RN, it does feed. With a hollowpoint, it might actually jam against the ramp and NOT feed.
These mags are used in a Colt 45acp Commander.
No matter what mag I use HPs are not reliable, first round FTF.
These 3 CMC mags worked fine, until they stopped locking back on last round
not each time, but often.

My Carry ammo is 230gr FMJ. My normal mag choice is CM
in the wrap Military Mags, change spring & follower great choice
for 35 years.

I had one that would fail to feed on the first round once in a while and another that would kachunk when feeding the first round
Kachunk that's a good description of the sound & feel. These are the only Mags so far
that have this sound & feel. Man I have WWI loop mags that feed better than these
CMCs do.

One more time. :confused:
How long have 8 rd 45acp mags been used & how many 1911 manufactures send
8 rd mags out with their 1911s?
The Std 7 rd mag has been used by the Armed Forces since they adopted the 1911.

I suppose if I had a real problem it could be fixed. However with the dozens of 1911
mags I own that fit, & work in my Commander. I can just toss these in my range bag for now.

Thanks for the great answers, I just wondered if I was the only one having problems
with 8rd mags. I will load & leave the mags loaded for a few weeks, & shoot them again.
These CMC mags are not failing, they just have a problem with a smooth feed like
my 7 shot mags have.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

My Carry ammo is 230gr FMJ. My normal mag choice is CM
in the wrap Military Mags, change spring & follower great choice
for 35 years.

Kachunk that's a good description of the sound & feel. These are the only Mags so far
that have this sound & feel. Man I have WWI loop mags that feed better than these
CMCs do.

One more time. :confused:
How long have 8 rd 45acp mags been used & how many 1911 manufactures send
8 rd mags out with their 1911s?
The Std 7 rd mag has been used by the Armed Forces since they adopted the 1911.

I suppose if I had a real problem it could be fixed. However with the dozens of 1911
mags I own that fit, & work in my Commander. I can just toss these in my range bag for now.

Thanks for the great answers, I just wondered if I was the only one having problems
with 8rd mags. I will load & leave the mags loaded for a few weeks, & shoot them again.
These CMC mags are not failing, they just have a problem with a smooth feed like
my 7 shot mags have.
IIRC the 8 rounders were created because IPSC shooters needed/wanted the additional round. It has been a long time. Again IIRC Wilson and Rogers started developing what became the 47D in the 1980s. They have been around a long time. I would say the majority of new guns are coming with 8 round mags. Except for a Colt 70 or 80 series I can't remember a Govt sized 1911 purchase in the past 10 years that came with 7 rounders.

Again IMHO lots of modern 1911s have feeding problems which can be related to magazines of all different capacities. The CMCs might not load smoothly but that does not mean 8 rounder from Wilson or Tripps or Metalform will not. Sometimes a bit of trial and error is necessary to find the right mag and gun combo.

I think a lot of variance was introduced with the introduction of 8 round mags in the 8os because there was more than one way to skin that cat. Some work better than others. None in my experience work 100% everytime in every gun which is why a lot of people still run 7 rounders.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why a lot of people still run 7 rounders.
Well this people is going to use my CM mags, with a new spring & follower it works for me. :)

Not a biggie, I just wondered if anyone else had problems with 8 rounders.
I still have 8rds to start buy using the 7rd Std. mags

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Well this people is going to use my CM mags, with a new spring & follower it works for me. :)

Not a biggie, I just wondered if anyone else had problems with 8 rounders.
I still have 8rds to start buy using the 7rd Std. mags
CM is now owned by Wilson.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
most likely......the frame feed ramp is shallow.
show us a pic.
I do not get it. My Commander is 100% reliable with a CM Military Magazine.
I got this commander in a trade for a new 1911 Officers First year Model
that had real problems.

The little pistol was just not ready for prime time & after 2 trips back to Colt & 1 2A Military
1911 Gun Smith. It would not work! So the LGS took it in trade for parts,
& I ended up with a new Commander.

The Commander had FTF & failed to feed right out of the box. However after
I tried a new Mag, it has been my most trusted & reliable 1911 that I own.

The feed ramps on both frame & barrel both have highly polished feed ramps.
All my 1911s get polished feed ramps from the start.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think the OP means Chip McCormick.
CM to me means Check Mate, they were the Mfr. of Military 1911 mags, maybe even make M14
mags as well for the Military. Never had a CM M14, Mag, I use the Vietnam era mags
in the Military 2 pack wrappers.

The Chip McCormick SS 8shot Mags are the ones I am talking about not feeding
smoothly.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I have 8 rounders because I can feed the first round into an empty chamber and holster the gun with 7+1.

With a 7 rounder, I'd have to chamber the first round, drop the mag and add one. I don't carry a reload but, if I did, it would be 7 rds in an 8-rounder.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've been using CMC 8rd stainless PowerMags for years. I've found their springs to weaken quicker than Wilson springs.

OP you may try replacing the springs (even if they aren't old). If you can find a HD or +P spring all the better.

I've started using Wilson ETM HD/+P for carry. The extra spring power (and mag tube length) are worth the extra cost to me.

The PowerMags are relegated to range use.

Reactions: Mike A

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've only used wilson combat 7,8, and 10 round mags. They have worked in everything from my defender all the way up to my m45a1. Since they work , I javent tried any others.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi,
I've shot 1911's for a long time.
I tried a lot of mags and kept the one's that worked and ditched the ones that didn't.
Just so happens now that the only mag I own is Wilson 8 round 47D's.
When one of them does not lock the slide back as it should...
I go to my tool box and put in a Wolff +5% power spring in and good to go!

·
Registered
45 Posts

I think you just answered your own question.

8 rounders have been around a long time and will work flawlessly. Any semi autos have four sources of potential issues:

1. The shooter
2. The pistol
3. Magazine
4. Ammo

If your 1911 will not feed a hollow point of any type you should take a good look at the pistol. It sounds like you have a feed ramp that is not quite right (angle, polish, etc)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts