1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
No way Jose
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HP1.jpg
HP2.jpg
HP3.jpg
Here's my pistol being customized by Jason over on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/1677235299...031861078878/1256031407745590/?type=3&theater

The pistol should be finished by Shot Show. He's trying to locate an un-checkered WC magwell as they only sell them w/ 30lpi. If not, a S&A will go in. The hi-power cuts v FCS has yet to be finalized, he'll probably surprise me with this..

Not sure what finish I should go with, hard chrome or high polish the whole gun, similar to how Wilson Combat does it..what do you guys think?

- Heinie rear sight (re-profiled)
- Gold line front sight
- Bordered Slide
- Bevel bottom of the slide
- Flatten and serrate slide top w/ Triple arrow pattern
- Serrate rear of slide to match lines of rear sight
- Machine slide for ball-cuts
- Hi - power cuts, parallel w/ rear cocking serrations or Front Cocking Serrations (Still Unsure)
- Kart 45 ACP barrel, w/ thick barrel bushing
- Flush cut barrel & reverse crown 45 deg. – polished rim
- Install egw flush fit spring plug (plug to be flush with barrel bushing)
- Hand-checker front strap 25lpi (as high as possible)
- Rear strap at 25lpi
- Add-on magwell: Wilson Combat or S&A
- Trigger: Short Solid Trigger #3.5 w/ raised edges and a recessed face
- Checker magazine catch
- Slightly nub/slide stop pin
- Serrate bottom of slide stop
- Hard Chrome or High Polish the entire pistol?
- VZ grips to fit magwell

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,202 Posts
Personally I don't like when front cocking serrations are cut for a number of reasons, IMO:
A) the distance from the rear of the slide to the rear cocking serrations, and the distance from the front of the slide to the front cocking serrations should be equivalent.
B) the cockin serrations should be of the same number/overall length and the same exact look as factory rear serrations
C) the rollmarks being off center when both A & B criteria are met bothers me, so if fcs are added then I think the slide should be naked from rollmarks.

Hi power cuts are meant for a hi power. Not sure Id want em on a heirloom 1911 piece. That said, given the option between fcs and hi power cuts, Id go hi power cuts, especially if the roll marks are staying.

For me, since Id handle the gun...Id want hard chrome. Polished stainless scuffs up too easily. Id probably follow the advice I was given...get it in stainless, put lots of rounds through it to make sure it's 100% in all circumstances and needs no modification to work for you - and then after that's done, get it chromed.

The other option that I think is kind of appealing to me lately is Robar np3+. Not sure if Jason would do it, but that finish looks pretty appealing.

All just IMO, but maybe some food for thought for ya.

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,202 Posts
Btw, you lucky dawg!! ive been eyeing those progress pics thinking somebody is getting an incredibly beautiful gun!! No matter what direction you go with this one, it's going to be incredible, beautiful, and...an heirloom for certain.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
We are all envious sir! Lol. I've been brought back full circle on the FCS thing this year after seeing the gun Jason built for Travis Haley, the gun built by Jeremy Reid in stainless for a member here, the Novak gun I acquired from Bender, Big Joes guns built by MARS and Rogers and several of Chuck's other guns including his carry gun...when the serrations are vertical I'm digging them a lot. Congrats on your new build!

·
No way Jose
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I don't like when front cocking serrations are cut for a number of reasons, IMO:
A) the distance from the rear of the slide to the rear cocking serrations, and the distance from the front of the slide to the front cocking serrations should be equivalent.
B) the cockin serrations should be of the same number/overall length and the same exact look as factory rear serrations
C) the rollmarks being off center when both A & B criteria are met bothers me, so if fcs are added then I think the slide should be naked from rollmarks.

Hi power cuts are meant for a hi power. Not sure Id want em on a heirloom 1911 piece. That said, given the option between fcs and hi power cuts, Id go hi power cuts, especially if the roll marks are staying.

For me, since Id handle the gun...Id want hard chrome. Polished stainless scuffs up too easily. Id probably follow the advice I was given...get it in stainless, put lots of rounds through it to make sure it's 100% in all circumstances and needs no modification to work for you - and then after that's done, get it chromed.

The other option that I think is kind of appealing to me lately is Robar np3+. Not sure if Jason would do it, but that finish looks pretty appealing.

All just IMO, but maybe some food for thought for ya.
I totally respect your reasoning and its making me think about it now. I wanted the FCS or Hi-Power, just to have a different pistol to the one's I currently own or the one's I'm waiting from Lou, CPT, or CT. Believe me, there was a few other things I wanted with the gun, but JB for one reason or another did not want to do it, and I respect his professionalism.

I will probably go the SS finish, shoot it, and get it refinished in HC later, I like this idea. I know how each it is to scuff/scratch high polish pistols.

·
No way Jose
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are all envious sir! Lol. I've been brought back full circle on the FCS thing this year after seeing the gun Jason built for Travis Haley, the gun built by Jeremy Reid in stainless for a member here, the Novak gun I acquired from Bender, Big Joes guns built by MARS and Rogers and several of Chuck's other guns including his carry gun...when the serrations are vertical I'm digging them a lot. Congrats on your new build!
I'm on the same boat as you, lol. Never was a fun, until I saw Jeremy Reid's SS, and Travis Haley's Comet build..lol Now, I just wanted something along these lines.

Here's a Ted Yost I got built recently, one of the last he built before leaving, 38 Super. My gun room is too dark right now to take good pictures...lol

Attachments

·
No way Jose
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Attached is project Heirloom's Comet built w/ front serrations, all black finish. Plus, Jeremy Reid's all stainless build w/ front serrations. This is somewhat the look I was going for w/ the FCS.

Or on the other hand, maybe a two-tone finish like this other Heirloom build? Never been a fan of two-tone, but digging the pistol w/ no FCS and no Hi-power cuts.

#firstworldproblems #peoplearedyingofhunger #icantfigureoutthedetailsonthisbuild lol

Attachments

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
The comet gun and the Reid build are to die for. Chuck's carry gun he showed on the "primary carry" thread is off the chain too. Best looking worn pistol I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I would just do the ball cuts, but if it was between fcs or hi power cuts, I would do the hi power cut. JMHO...

I also think I would do a nice bead blast finish, which can always be redone. I think what ever you do it will be nice.

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,202 Posts
Since tim does such an awesome job with hp cuts and all of his high contrast between blasted and polished, why don't ya have him do the hp cuts if you desire em?

I don't think I could own a tim gun without hp cuts. ;)

·
No way Jose
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i see where you're going with it. I'm impatient with things though and these wait times for builds are crazy.

By the time my build comes up, there will be another style/gun I would like. It's difficult for me. I see new builds on here daily that I like, I'm unsure what I will be into 3-5 years from now.

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,202 Posts
That's the tough thing...no matter what direction we steer you, you gotta do what you like best and change specs in your head along the way. Ha.

The best input I can give you about this thread is the part about waiting on hard chrome. When I heard that initially I thought it was a very good ideA as it would suck to HC it and then have some unforeseen issue arose in the first couple thousand rounds that requires ruining the finish to fix.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts