Colt 70 Series New Trophy Gold Cup~! Thoughts and facts

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Integrity Arms, Aug 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Well I might get strung up on the court house steps for this, but I just started doing some work to a friends Gold Cup Trophy. The Newer model series 70.. 1st impression was it wasn't as loosely fit as many of the more recent Colts I have seen, handled and shot. My second impression was the 25lpi checkering was a huge upgrade long needed and a long time coming. My third thought was what a ugly and sloppy grip safety... Well then I did some machine work and of course found quite a few inconsistencies in the slide. Par for the course for many factory and even some semi-custom/custom 1911's.. If perfection existed from the store to the house then a Gunsmith would no longer be needed..

Now for the Nitty Gritty. Initial inspection of internals showed Cast parts, and poorly casted parts I might add. A lot of honeycomb markings, pock marks, casting lines etc.. The BGS, the TS, to name a few externals that are the same way.. A 2 pronged sear, and what I mean by this, is the sear nose matches the hammer hooks, two little legs, one of which was partly worn.. The TS honestly looked like it was fitted by a kindergarten wannabe... lol..

Upon safety check and function I found that with the weapon cocked and stocked, thumb safety engaged, you could drop the hammer to 1/2 cock by depressing the grip safety and pulling the trigger. Once this was done the thumb safety would not release unless you recocked the trigger. The blocking portion of the thumb safety has 4 different profiles, it is rounded, triangle shaped, has a corner of it nubbed off by a file, and had a big nick out of it where the sear had been making contact when not engaged. In other words the TS is toast.... If this left the factory like this, it left the factory totally unsafe for any self defense situation that might arise...

Now Colt claims there is no other weapon someone should own, MSRP is $1699.00 I tell ya what, if you have one of these.. and don't know much about detail stripping or how the parts actually do work, send it off to a competent Smith right away, have it looked at and fixed... Also the BGS is of a design still made for a series 80 gun, extremely oddly shaped and just lends itself to all types of future problems with the gun because of all the uneeded profiles etc.. Now I may not be using a bunch of technical jargon here but, let me tell you, I personally don't see how Colt can even begin to claim these to be the best thing since peanut butter, I have owned better Rock Islands, Rugers, Sigs, Kimbers even..

Seriously I know that a lot of guys are Colt guys, and when you send one to a competent Smith, you get back a good quality gun, but even some gun smith videos I have been watching the guys say, if we get an older Colt in here we reuse all the parts we can, try to salvage all we can. If we get a newer Colt in here, then we toss the whole shebang and start all over. I thought that going back to the 70 series gun was a good move for Colt, and seriously guys I don't know what has happened, because these guy used to be able to build one of the best 1911s on the planet. But, after going through this pistol, I honestly don't know what they are trying to build..

Sorry if this hurts some one's feelings. But, this is the facts... Again if you have one of these and plan to keep it, send it off for some work.. Because I promise you, it needs it....

2. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Good write-up.
    I went from Colt to a Rock Island.
    Sad they cheap out,could very well be putting out a kick-ass gun for 1700 bucks.

3. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    I’d be willing to wager there’s an 80 series extractor in the slide as well.....

4. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    In the name of Colt lovers everywhere , I'll kick the hornets nest;):o.o:;) How well, and reliable does it shoot, and, where are the pics!

5. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Honestly I've got a pretty good camera and tried my best to get a good picture of the contact area on the thumb safety, and to be honest I probably wouldn't have said much at all about the parts had it not been for the gun not being reliable in a life threatening situation, owner states the gun is fairly accurate, but if it doesn't go bang when you need it most, then that's a nail in someone's coffin.

I can get a pic of the 80 series grip safety, and I tried my darndest on the TS, and sear. Honestly I had hoped for better. What gets me is that they would claim to use good parts when in fact it appears as if they are trying to use up their old 80 series inventory.

boatdoc likes this.
  6. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I hadn't taken out the extractor before I did this write up, but you sir are 100% correct 70 series my @$$... 0826181137.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    boatdoc and ChuckC like this.
  7. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    0826181200.jpg 0826181159.jpg 0826181158.jpg Very rare case where my phone actually took better pics than my Camera, because of the operator however lol. But here are some pics. Oh, and the hammer on the right is the Colt, one on the left cylinder and slide. Must be Colts way of lightening their hammers. Lmao.. And like I said 70 series my @$$.. 0826181146a.jpg 0826181146.jpg 0826181145.jpg 0826181141.jpg 0826181146c.jpg 0826181146b.jpg

boatdoc likes this.
  8. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    All production guns can stand to receive additional work.
    Just because it’s got an extractor that is also cut for a Series 80, the gun at hand is still a 70 Series.

A better platform base than a Kimber, RIA, Ruger or Sig.....IMO.

Colt does like to use up old parts, gotta save a buck where they can.

boatdoc, Busa Dave and ChuckC like this.
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Some work I can understand, but this model is their creme of the crop factory gun again at a msrp of $1700-$1800 and left unchecked could of cost Some one their life in a dire situation. I've had 4 Rock Islands that at least would go bang when they needed to, and even a few Kimbers. And a Series 70 with a tin of series 80s parts Hmmmm... don't think I want to own anything from a company that cuts Corners like that.. Obviously their customers lives aren't that important to them.

WHEELS likes this.
  10. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Not every comment is an argument or an attack on your position Steve, its simply an opinion.

While your opinions may be based upon the product you have in hand, it may not be a example that is indicative of the model as a whole. Just something to keep in mind.

boatdoc, WC145 and ChuckC like this.
  11. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    It’s an annoyance of mine that they do that with parts, but not a deal breaker for me as most I purchase are base guns anyway. I understand it’s a business. And regardless of part for and finish, I’m yet to have a Colt I’ve purchased that didn’t run.

boatdoc and WC145 like this.
  12. Bender

Aug 15, 2011

I agree.....I’ve actually never gotten a dog from any manufacturer. But I have owned a few that I wouldn’t trust. There are much worse guns than Colt

boatdoc and ChuckC like this.
  13. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I have one of Gold cups in 9mm, this was the first 10 rounds out of the gun when I got it. It was a mix of five 115g and five 124g. It ran 325 rounds before I let JT Timmons get his hands on it for a package he offers. I'm at just under 2k rounds without any problems.

18835499_10208172048851556_4414630386176417793_n[1].jpg stand2.jpg

samuse, boatdoc, wcanterbury and 2 others like this.
  14. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I didn't don't believe that I treated it as an attack just stating the facts. Maybe when they run out of series 80s parts will start using series 70 parts but doubtful that will do any better job fitting the stuff inside of it. Basically was posting this to try to help people out I wouldn't want to spend $1,800 on a gun made like this gun is made there's too many other options out there at that price point to get a much better pistol and wanted you to put your life on. I didn't take your comment as an attack at all and wasn't firing back at you.

boatdoc, simonp and Journeyman1234 like this.
  15. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Try to see if you could fire the gun with the thumb safety on. Maybe you got one paid a little more attention to. Lightly squeeze the grip safety with a thumb safety engaged and see if the Hammer drops to have cock or just a little bit. If it does see if you can disengage the thumb safety at that point. If not I'm glad you got a good one. According to my buddy the guns pretty accurate and shoots fine. The problem I have with it is if it was cocked and locked on his hip and for some reason the trigger got pulled with the thumb safety engaged and he had to pull that gun in a defensive situation and it tried to drop the safety it would not disengage therefore he would have to cock the hammer back drop the thumb safety and then fire the weapon.

16. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I'm just thinking $1,800 for a basic gun that you can't trust is a little salty. And as I said was putting this out there for people that own one to get their attention in case they have a factory gun and has not had any work and they're carrying this pistol I am sure that this is not the only one that come off the line like this. And while the gun seems function flawlessly and certain situations such as range day it definitely would not be a reliable carry piece. And for someone that don't know what they're looking for it could mean life or death.

boatdoc and simonp like this.
  17. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    And all this from a company that has been building 1911 is longer than most of us have been alive you just wouldn't expect that type of thing out of a company that used to be the best. I understand and agree that most Factory guns if not all need reliability work and different things of that nature but there's a whole lot cheaper options and a whole lot better guns in that price range. Very nice looking pistol by the way.

18. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    So if you had it to JT no worries about checking it now LOL this is just a factory Colt it has not received any work as of yet

Whiten likes this.
  19. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    JT replaced all the fire control parts. Not much left except the frame, slide, barrel , and sights. I also have a Harrison slide stop and thumb safety.

I traded a Glock 21 and 1k for mine so I'm happy.

20. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    The pictures you posted definitely don't look like they should have come out of a higher end production gun. The Trophy looks good but for a few bucks more you can get a model where the trigger and barrel were installed in the custom shop, with an ambi safety which I need. May be like sausage where I'm better off not knowing

wcanterbury and Steve Owens like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted