1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put together this 80% frame that is a Para Ord p10 clone and went together fairly well, but upon further inspection found that the hammer that would cock properly by hand would not when racking the slide. I took it a part and found that the hammer is hitting the beavertail grip safety ever so slightly. If I hold the beavertail safety grip in the upper most position I cannot cock it by hand. See pics. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You have a few choices...
1. Use a different hammer
2. Bob (remove metal from the back of your hammer where it is contacting the beavertail)
3. Enlarge the beavertail hammer cutout

80% frames have a lot of problems because the hole placement is frequently off....in your case the hammer hole could be to far to the rear which moves the hammer to the rear which prevents proper clearance between hammer and the beavertail. Pin holes also cause nightmares fitting ignition components.

IMO 80% frames are not worth the frustration in build projects and you should expect reliability and/or safety issues due to the specification variations.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Does it fully cock with the slide when the grip safety is removed?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
2. Bob (remove metal from the back of your hammer where it is contacting the beavertail)
+1. There are no drop in parts in 1911s and some times tolerance issues add up to issues like what the OP is dealing with.

Reactions: Kip

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

80% frames have a lot of problems because the hole placement is frequently off....in your case the hammer hole could be to far to the rear which moves the hammer to the rear which prevents proper clearance between hammer and the beavertail. Pin holes also cause nightmares fitting ignition components.

IMO 80% frames are not worth the frustration in build projects and you should expect reliability and/or safety issues due to the specification variations.
Being that I'm in Komufornia, I don't have much of a selection when it comes to owning a 1911, plus I like the challenge of building things and I know that these aren't drop in part on 1911 builds, but am learning and asking questions.

Thanks again.

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,831 Posts
Being that I'm in Komufornia, I don't have much of a selection when it comes to owning a 1911, plus I like the challenge of building things and I know that these aren't drop in part on 1911 builds, but am learning and asking questions.

Thanks again.
+1 for taking on this project, best of luck solving your issues.

Edit to add: Why did you choose a Series 80 style frame for your first build?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1 for taking on this project, best of luck solving your issues.

Edit to add: Why did you choose a Series 80 style frame for your first build?
At the time it was a frame that was within my budget.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the Para Ord hammer that was purchased for this build was way too tight with the pictures showing the obvious. Thoughts were, that since this was a p10 build with proprietary and extremely small MHS and grip safety parts that one would think that the para hammer with extremely small hammer strut would fit rather nicely. Wrong. I tried a couple different hammers that I have from other 80% builds, after swapping struts, and the first hammer from my Commander 1911 had the same issue, but the one from my Officer build worked! Ya! The one from my Commander was actually from a Remington parts lot that I had picked up, but the 2nd worked which was from a Sarco build kit that I used many parts from on my Officer. And, of course the hammer that had issues in the p10 works fine in the officer.

Thanks for the help and the motivation. I hadn't thought of switch hammers, doh! Only the strut is the difference between the p10 and the others.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I took it out to the range and it shoots absolutely perfectly! I can't be happier with the way this thing shoots.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts