close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

80% Frame Rant

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by azpoolguy, Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jul 4, 2013
    I don't know why these things bother me so much?

Maybe it's the fact that there are so many good options for frames and slides to purchase that have a known quality? Maybe it's the availability of decent base pistols that don't cost more than what you would pay for just a frame slide and a barrel. Maybe it's the fact that no one will buy a second hand pistol built on an 80% frame? Maybe it's the fact that no Gun Smith will ever touch your pistol that you built on an 80% frame if you have issues? Maybe it's the attitude that most of the guys have seeking information on how to build their 80% frame?

Those are just a few of the things that bother me about the 80% frame. I consider myself a DIY guy and want to try to do everything I possibly can myself. However using an 80% frame has never crossed my mind.

Am I way off base here?

Jimhoag, Kip, Jollyroger1 and 4 others like this.
  2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    I agree, they seem like a solution to a nonexistent problem to me.

3. mikegalway

mikegalway DILLIGAF Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    If you don't want one , don't buy one . The only reason to buy one is the lack of serial numbers and paperwork . There's a lot of ARs out there built on an 80% lower . ARs are cheaper to buy than to build right now , so the only reason to use an 80% lower is the lack of numbers .

4. ChuckC

Feb 2, 2016
    Another reason why I don't like them^

simonp, Weiker and azpoolguy like this.
  5. awp101

awp101 Clean 'em up, green 'em up and start the music Supporting Addict

Jan 12, 2017
    I've got a P80 on the workbench waiting for some household projects to be wrapped up so I can actually GET to my workbench.

The lack of numbers means nothing to me. I live in a free state and my paranoia is at a reasonable level.:D I picked it up so I can use it to experiment, practice and test a few things before deciding if or how I want to modify my stock frames without going through the extra shipping and FFL fees. Reasonably priced used pistols are few and far between around here and usually priced out of the "let's use this to practice on" price range.

I've even considered a WTB ad for 80% frames that have been screwed up during the "building" process to use as cheap practice pieces but I think I've found a free solution at work. They won't be exactly like working on a real frame, but I can use them to practice the techniques that will be used on a real frame.

With my skill set, there's no way I would use an 80% for a piece I needed to depend on.

6. ImperialBlade

ImperialBlade Armed with my opinion and not afraid to use it. Supporting Addict

Aug 22, 2015
    The point and perhaps the biggest selling factor of 80% is the lack of serialized numbers. If you don't want "uncle" knowing what you have then its great. However, my direct experience with 80% builds has been lackluster.

wcanterbury likes this.
  7. azpoolguy

Jul 4, 2013
    Many valid points there. :thumbs:

Pennywise827, awp101 and Kip like this.
  8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . . Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2014
    If they were cheap enough, I cannot think of a better vehicle on which to practice front strap checkering.

If all goes well enough, finishing them out is a nice option . . . . .

wcanterbury, Kip and awp101 like this.
  9. ChuckC

Feb 2, 2016
  10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . . Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2014
    I was thinking on going with a 0% frame, just to prove my "manhood" . . . . . .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  11. awp101

Jan 12, 2017
    All we need now is for that personal CNC machine (Ghost Gunner?) to do the programming for a 1911...

12. jakebrake

jakebrake middle aged white guy Supporting Addict

Mar 27, 2013
    I totally want to see that checkered.

13. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things! Supporting Addict

Nov 18, 2014
    If you don't want to do the FFL paperwork just buy one face to face in your state (if legal) but I personally have no issues if they know or not! I wouldn't mind getting my mitts on one just to try and finish it but am really liking zoids 0% thing. I've got that covered in aluminum and carbon steel;) as a plus I can do my own programming:shameful:

Bro. Pappaw, ZoidMeister and Kip like this.
  14. SCS1911

SCS1911 Failed all therapy Supporting Addict

Oct 5, 2012

In a word, NO.

Kip and azpoolguy like this.
  15. azpoolguy

Jul 4, 2013
    Good. I was just wondering that.

SCS1911 and Kip like this.
  16. simonp

simonp Active Member

May 27, 2016
    I’m with you, not a fan of 80% frames for any type of gun. I know it’s not universally true but I’ve met half a dozen for so folks who are fans and who have after long conversations admitted the reason that they are fans is that they have a checkered past. I live in one of the least free States and I hate the over abundance of stupid rules and regulations but one I can agree with is trying to keep guns out of criminals hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

azpoolguy likes this.
  17. awp101

Jan 12, 2017
    Do you have a link? I can't find anything like that on their site.

Kip likes this.
  18. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2016
    I have friends who own many serialized firearms, and build many 80% firearms just for fun. They don't have a checkered past, they just love learning about firearms and making each one better than the last. I have no problem with it at all.

I do find it odd that many 80% frames and lowers tend to be higher priced than their serial numbered counterparts.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    TodBuh, jw perry and ZoidMeister like this.
  19. ChuckC

Feb 2, 2016
    You have to call to order them

awp101 likes this.
  20. awp101

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks! What do they call them? Frame blanks? Front strap blanks?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted