92G Brigadier Tactical @ 25 yards w/ Federal HST

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Sterling Archer, May 21, 2016.

1. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    During my last range trip my rear sight came loose so the focus today was on getting it sighted in with my carry load, Federal HST 124 grain. I setup a makeshift rest and started blasting. As I was using shoot-n-see targets I inadvertently screwed myself. It was my fluorescent orange sight on their red center and my blacked out rear sight on their black border. That was a recipe for a mess and the groups showed it. It wasn't until I pulled the 2" red center out and stuck it on the white backing that I could start putting shots together.

These were all shot at a measured 25 yards. Yes, I actually bring a long tape to the range, I like to have exact numbers. That same exactness prompted me to download a group size calculator and I was so surprised by the results I had to post them. At the range I just used a round for reference and snapped a quick picture, not putting much thought into their actual size.

First up is a 5-shot group:

Beretta 25Y 2.jpg

Mas Ayoob has said that taking the best 3 shots from a 5 shot group can be representative of a Ransom Rest so I started grouped the nearest 3 with the program.

Beretta 25Y Best 3.jpg

Here's where it get's wild. I started shooting 10 shot groups and put this one together.

Beretta 25Y 1.jpg

Not bad as a whole but once you break it down it's wild. Had I not seen it myself I probably wouldn't believe the results, so no problem if you don't.

Beretta 25Y Best.jpg

Those 7 shots must all have been really good buddies who didn't want to separate cause I've got no explanation for it. I guarantee you it's all legit, anyone who knows me knows that integrity is everything to me and I always strive to give the best information possible.

Needless to say I'm quite pleased with the pistol! I have no excuses for crappy shoots now... :beatup:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    soar3r, Vernman69, nnylf7 and 7 others like this.
  2. WWB

WWB Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015

3. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    HST is a great load. Good shooting.
    Did you shoot your first shot single or double action?

Sterling Archer likes this.
  4. Kyle Burt

Kyle Burt Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2015
  5. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    Thanks, guys! It was largely the universe aligning in my favor...for once! I offer no repeat performances. :D

Single Action, this was all about squeezing out as much accuracy as possible so I aligned my sight correctly.

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  6. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    New trigger bar adjusting tools for ya SA.
    image.jpeg

Jimhoag, PaulM and Sterling Archer like this.
  7. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 19, 2015
    Dang that's some good stuff! Great shooting

8. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky Supporting Addict

Jun 14, 2013
    Impressive shooting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

9. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
  10. JD6415

JD6415 Member

May 3, 2016
    That's really nice. Pistol, shooter and ammo included!

11. nnylf7

nnylf7 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Very cool. I love my Brig Tac and also use it as a daily carry from time-to-time; mainly when the weather is colder because there is no denying it is a pretty big pistol! Still, with the awesome Mecgar mags I can carry 18+1 in the pistol and two spare 20 rounders all carried in some nice Milt Sparks leather. It is actually quite comfortable and who the hell doesn't like having 59 rounds of 9mm on their person :) Here is the carry load I have been testing and using:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/9mm-95-...-FPS-4-Barrel-20_Box/productinfo/A9-95-TACXP/

Love that ammo. It runs flawlessly (like every single round I've fired through my Brig Tac) and has some very light recoil.

I would love to get the same targets as you and the same shot group calculator app and add to your thread (if that's ok with you). Awesome seeing the groups you shot. I have no idea if I can repeat that, but it will be fun to try.

Well done and thanks for sharing!

Edit: What do you carry your Brig Tac in? Spare mags? Belt? Just curious. Or were you just testing your carry load in that gun, but you don't actually use the Brig Tac for daily carry?

12. BCWood64

BCWood64 "Select Zone 5 and engage...."

Feb 25, 2016
    Nice write up Duchess! I'm going to try and run the same thing you did. I also found that Gold Dot 124grain HP do well in the pistol as well. I think the Brig likes 124 the best.

Sterling Archer and nnylf7 like this.
  13. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    Please do, I'd love to see people posting up their results!

The software is OnTarget found here, it has a free trial of 15 days. The targets you should be able to find in most places but if not they're on Amazon here.

Thanks!

When initially purchasing gear I didn't want to spend a ton as I didn't know if I going to keep the pistol.

The holster I currently use, and only one I have for the Brig is a Blade-Tech. The retention is on the trigger guard so it doesn't scratch up slide finish. It sits a little further from the body than leather which is conducive to competition but some may not like it for carry. There are nicer leather and kydex holsters available if a person prefers one that pulls it in tight.

[​IMG]

For my belt I just use a BlackHawk BDU belt. My Comp-Tac belt is kydex reinforced so it doesn't handle sharp bends well that result when the holster belt holes are too close together.

For my mag carriers I bought those from Bravo Concealment.

[​IMG]

I do carry it, it is good size but far from unmanageable. Most often it pulls nightstand duty with a TLR-1 HL. 18+1 capacity should take care of most bumps in the night.

nnylf7 likes this.
  14. nnylf7

nnylf7 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Geez that's kinda crazy.. I use that same holster.. and same Bravo Concealment mag carriers that I ordered for it.. and same Streamlight.. wtf lol! Well great choices. I like the holster for range work.

15. Robc1219

Robc1219 Member Supporting Addict

May 28, 2016
    That's some great shooting!!

16. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    Thanks!

I've decided to try and duplicate the results in 2-3 weeks but this time on 2 videos. One will be my GoPro recording from a headmount and the second will be my cellphone down at the targets recording the hits. I'll use a couple timer beeps to sync the videos and then edit them together side-by-side so you can watch the shot and simultaneous hit on target. I also got new targets, blue and white, which should help contrast my black and orange sights better. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Oh, and my excuse if I don't do it a second time is that my pistol will have at least another 1,500 rounds through it before I have time to do the test again. With all that additional wear and tear on the flimsy aluminum frame the pistol will do doubt rattle horribly which will drastically affect accuracy. :bag:

605atthe wheels and nnylf7 like this.
  17. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    Haha a "CYA" just in case. :god:

George

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted