1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought four 10 round 9mm MecGar magazines because I can't find my large stash of other 9mm mags. I got them because they were cheap and I have had great luck with MecGar magazines in other non-1911 pistols. I have been shooting my CZ TSO a lot the last 6 months and got spoiled by just buying mags, loading them and shooting without having to take a "set" or any other such nonsense. Well, I grabbed my new MecGars, my Kimber and DW 9mm 1911s, some ammo and went to the range. I loaded the mags up and ran them through my Dan Wesson PM-9 and they worked perfectly. The only bugaboo is that if you don't have the top round pushed all the way back in the mag it will very easily pop out and go flying. The top round in the mag also falls out when you remove it from the pistol, so a bit annoying. Switched over to the Kimber KHX and it would not feed the first round if there are 8, 9 or 10 rounds in the mag - they nosedive just below the feed ramp. They will work with 7 rounds or less in the magazines. They did this with both Blazer 124 grain FMJ and American Eagle 124 grain FMJ, so its not like I was shooting hollow points or long 147 grain ammo.
When I finished shooting I loaded up the magazines with 10 rounds and they are sitting in my range bag in the hopes that the springs will get conditioned and they will then work when fully loaded in my Kimber.
This is what I get for being cheap. My other 9mm 1911 mags are Metalform, Wilson ETM, and Tripp. They have all worked great in both pistols. I am still hopeful that my other magazines will turn up, but if I have to buy more mags I will just get Metalforms. They have worked just as well as my much more expensive Wilsons and Tripps. I do like the Tripps the best, but mostly because they are very shiny!
Jeff

Reactions: easy10

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I run Tripp mags in my 9mm
BUT they do the same thing about half the time. i.e. strip a round out when releasing a partial full mag.
I've found metal form mags are cost effective (cheap) and work better than most mags and don't let go of a round prematurely. Either when unloading or cause occasional double feeds because the mag lets a second round pop up while cycling.
Try a couple of metal form mags

·
middle aged white guy
5,654 Posts
ok..the top round falling out. try this. load a mag. hold it in your weak hand. smack it from the bottom with your strong hand. rounds come out of the top?

adjust Your feed lips. (one problem)

as for the nosedive with the Kimber. sounds like it's getting hung up on Your feed ramp. wonder if the follower needs a little love (Kimbers can be a little mag finicky and, my old 10mm Kimber hated meg-gars with a passion).

·
Registered
103 Posts
The top round in the mag also falls out when you remove it from the pistol
have a SA Range Officer Elite Champion 9MM that does that. I asked SA customer support if that was normal. The said it is not abnormal.

·
Super Moderator
819 Posts
I use Mec-Gars mags solely in my 1911s, both 9MM and 45, and also in my CZs. Never any hiccups when using Mec-Gar mags for me.
Just sayin'!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully mine will run in my Kimber after leaving them loaded for a few days. I think all my CZ and Walther mags, which I have lots of, are MecGars and they are fabulous. I believe Wilson is using Walther/MecGar PPQ mag bodies for the EDC X9.
Jeff

Reactions: pcar157

·
Banned
224 Posts
I have 6 Mec Gar for my RIA 10mm and they have ran flawlessly. Is this a new Mec Gar or used? Check the feed lips for burs, If you have a set of calipers measure the front of the feed lips and the back. It being 9mm the front should be .355 and the rear should be .350. They field strip just like a GI mag. If all that checks out strip it down and clean it. you could have a weak spring and the slide is out running the mag. If it's a new mag send it back they should replace it. If it's an used magwhen you get it field stripped lay the spring down on a piece of paper mark the length and then stretch it to make it about 2" longer. Check your follower and make sure it doesn't have any burs and not bent.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are all brand new mags. All 4 run perfect in my Dan Wesson and all 4 nose dive the first round in the Kimber exactly the same unless load them with 7 rounds or fewer. I'll measure the feed lips. Shooting it tomorrow or Monday to see if keeping them loaded has helped.
Thanks,
Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts