close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm 1911s Ammo Limitations

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Marine24, May 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Marine24

Marine24 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Have a Gov't size 1911 in 9mm that seems to have a preference to 115gr ammo and what the builder recommends. I typically prefer 147gr ammo for both target and self defense, but slide doesn't go fully home. Slight pressure on the rear of the slide fixes that problem.

I've shot the same 147gr ammo in Commander and Officer size 9mm 1911 before with no issue.

I can appreciate with the tighter tolerances and precision that goes in to a semi-custom/custom 1911 can make them less forgiving with certain types of ammo, but this surprises me.

This consistent with what others have experienced?

2. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 23, 2014
    Do your 147gr rounds plunk into the barrel when it is taken out of the slide?

wcanterbury and techiede like this.

3. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Sounds like your builder didn't finish ream the barrel.

4. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    They do. Thought I might be dealing with out of spec factory ammo, but not the case. They passed the plunk test. Some of the reman/reloads I have didn't fare so well, but that is an ammo issue.

The 147gr don't seem to have the juice to work the slide completely, but 115gr are fine. Speer Lawman, Winchester White Box and Federal range ammo shoot like a champ.

Behavior was consistent with four Volkmann magazines and three Wilson Combat ETM magazines.

5. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Joe: Thanks for chiming in. You have a unique perspective being a custom builder as well.

Do you have any limitations on bullet weights in your Gov't 1911s? Assuming the ammo is quality factory ammunition.

6. stlgecko

stlgecko Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 24, 2014
    Perhaps a different weight recoil spring?

Badabing11, SCS1911 and Denver1911 like this.
  7. v1911

v1911 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    I don't know if changing the spring rate is the answer. Could result in more issues.

8. cfl4rat

cfl4rat Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I'm having a problem with the 1st round in coming to a complete stop on the feed ramp, and giving the rear of the slide a bump won't allow it to chamber

9. SCS1911

SCS1911 Failed all therapy Supporting Addict

Oct 5, 2012
    I can say no limitations on bullet weights in the CCP 9mm I have. Right about 2,500 rounds of all types (FMJ and JHP) and weights (115 to 147 grain).

Joe C likes this.
  10. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 23, 2014
    That is interesting, wonder if that has to do with the "feeding geometry" and the longer bullets.

How is the ejection on these? How far does it through the cases vs from 115gr? That should tell you if the energy is enough to work the slide all the way to the back I think.

11. straitR

straitR New Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Could be an COL and cartridge break over issue with the longer 147gr ammo. Probably why they'll plunk and show a GO on headspace but not load from a magazine. Might be able to fix the issue with different magazines that have an earlier release point.

gaijin likes this.
  12. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    ^^This.
    10 rounders are less forgiving on the first RD. out of magazine.
    Might try Tripp's mags if you haven't yet.

13. wcanterbury

wcanterbury NRA Life Member, GOA Member Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    You might want to try Freedom Munitions: https://www.freedommunitions.com/#&panel1-5

You can pick up 9mm ammo in 115, 124, 135 & 147Gr. in a variety of bullets. Give them a call and they will probably be happy to tell you what powder they use, along with the charge weights. I believe they use Starline brass on all their new stuff.

Good Luck!

14. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    I do not have any limitations that I know of at this time. My clients have shot everything from 95g to 147g with zero issues.

cwoods, Kip, GoetzTalon and 1 other person like this.
  15. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Freedom Munitions new and reman ammo is pretty much what I shoot for range fodder and the brand of 147gr that was having a problem.

Don't think ejection is an issue. Hard to tell how far the cases were ejecting because I was shooting in an indoor range but all bullet weights were very positive.

I'm going to run another 500 rounds through the pistol with 115gr ball ammo and we'll see how it feeds the heavier bullets.

SCS1911 likes this.
  16. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Active Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    Try Speer Lawman 147gr and buy from Target Sports USA. I tried Freedom but had a lot of issues, needless to say, Speer can be had for darn near same price.

The last batch of Freedom i tried was severely under powered and eventually lead to a squib. I don't know 9mm 1911's so I don't know if what your experiencing could be a result of underpowered ammo, but its worth checking.

17. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    I'll give them a shot. I just bought 1000 rounds of the Speer Lawman 115gr ammo.

18. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Yeah, I have not heard many good things about Freedom ammo...heard about a few bad things though. Personally, I roll my own or get it from Everglades Ammo in Naples Florida. But running 500 more 115g ball bullets won't help it feed 147's. Sounds like the chamber isn't properly finish reamed...but then I repeat myself.

v1911 and gaijin like this.
  19. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    I've been using Freedom Munitions for a number of years and have had good luck with them in various calibers. They aren't match grade quality, but for training ammo, they aren't bad ammo.

Having the conversation about finish reaming. That is making the most sense at this point.

rod442 likes this.
  20. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    I also have been using Freedom (new) for a few years, 115, 124, 135 & 147's with no problem. They have been used in my DW Vbob Commander, ECO, & GI NN 5", plus non 1911's. I bought some Mec-gar 10rnd mags on a suggestion I read on Addicts, It took a LONG time to break-in those mags. If loaded with 10, they would fail to feed the 1st round. Put 9 in & they worked 100%. I have WC ETM 10 rnd & they worked from the get go.

George

Badabing11 and wcanterbury like this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted