9mm cases to be aware of

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Uncle Bob, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Was cleaning up our range 4 weeks ago and found a bunch of these.

Beware, the primer pocket is not normal size even for small pistol primers. I did take a reamer and other tools to some of them, and frankly they're just not worth the time and effort. See these, do NOT use for reloading. They're military contract and no idea why these were made this way.

20200823_222750.jpg

2. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Thats odd. Thanks for the heads up.

3. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Crimped primer pockets.
    Pretty standard for western military 9x19 and 556.
    Enhanced storage life.
    Less chance of primer in the works.

4. Heavyopp

Heavyopp Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Just federal cases most likely with a heavy primer crimp — it is a PIA to deal with
    Mostly all my once fired .223 brass is like that

I chuck a primer crimp removal tool in a mini Taig lathe and run the cases thru — takes awhile to get thru a 5 gallon bucket full — definately painful on the hands

5. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Crimping was resolved first. They're still undersized in case you missed that.

6. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I just did a couple hundred of those, my friend gave me the brass. I used my RCBS primer pocket swager and they were fine. Did some S&B cases while I was at it, they are a little tight also.

Howe45acp likes this.
  7. Havoc35

Havoc35 Active Member

Apr 14, 2020
    I shoot federal ae9ap and reload the brass. Haven't had an issue after over 1000 rounds. Could be that you had someone's reloads after they put a substantial crimp on them (unlikely though)

I prime by hand and always fingernail check for sub-flushness. Haven't had any go in that felt abnormally tough. I'll keep an eye out my next session though and let you guys know if I find anything.

swampgas likes this.
  8. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Typical military spec crimp.

1MoreFord likes this.
  9. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Nope. Crimp was dealt with first.

10. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Just dealing with the crimp didn't do it for me either, still very tight. So I swaged them, as I said all good. 9 months ago I would have just chucked them. With this ammo and component shortage, I thought they were worth the extra effort.

11. Humbucking

Humbucking Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    9mm Winchester NT also has crimped primer pockets

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted