9mm Colt Commanders

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by walleyemonster, Dec 15, 2018.

1. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Last year I gifted my daughter my EMP 3". In correspondence with her, she has been shooting the hell out of it. Concerned that she may abuse it being aluminum framed, I decided to gift her my full size stainless Range officer in 9mm as a range gun. ( I WILL miss it!)
    In that vein, I will need another 9mm. My considerations this time are for a Commander size 9mm. Except for my RO .45 Compact, the rest of my 1911 pistols are full size .45's
    Being retired, and now on fixed income. My eye is on a Colt. It fits my budget. The key word is budget. The Colt Commander seems to fit the bill. I can get my hands on one at a local FFL dealer, but wanted to hear the good and bad on the current crop of pistols put out by Colt.
    I did look at the Commander version put out by Ruger. I just can't warm up to the look of one. I have a stainless full size in .45 that runs flawlessly. No love for the 9mm's though.
    Trying hard to stay away from pistols with proprietary parts, and Officer frames. Your thoughts will help my decision. Even at Buds the Dan Wessons are pricey for my budget.

xerts1191 likes this.
  2. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Well I was going to suggest looking at Dan Wesson you might check the classifieds here for a deal on one.
    It might make it fit into your budget.

3. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I had a 9mm all steel Colt combat commander that I just sold to fund other things. I ran about 7-800 rounds through it. Shot POA with very little recoil. The pistol didn't like Wilson mags as they hit the ejector, and I changed the dual spring setup for 12lb standard spring. With all that said if can spend a few more dollars I would get a Dan Wesson but can't go wrong with the Colt either.

IMG_20180225_132005788.jpg

RN47 and Mike Meints like this.
  4. DunRanull

DunRanull New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Have you considered the Browning HiPower? 13+1... and JMB's piece de resistance. I tired of carrying the 1911 with 9 or 10 rounds when I could carry less bulk with 13+1 on tap. Hard, IMO, to best the BHP...

gaijin likes this.
  5. Just Terry

Just Terry Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Has anyone any first hand knowledge of an alloy frame being damaged from firing standard loads?

6. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    I had a Colt alloy Commander in .45 in which extensive use of sharp nosed JHPs chewed through the frame ramps anodizing. I installed a ramped barrel to salvage the gun, as it had become a "jam-o-matic".

OP- I would suggest looking at Wessons "Vigil" if you haven't already. I have a 5" and Commander which have performed quite well.

Just Terry likes this.
  7. tnhawk

tnhawk Member

Jun 13, 2014
    I recently purchased a Colt Commander in 9mm. It doesn't have many rounds through it yet but appears to be a nice pistol.

Just Terry likes this.
  8. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Bought a 9mm LW XSE in 2015. Nice pistol. I did replace the stocks with some I ordered from Colt years ago.

[​IMG]

No on feed ramp. I carry a Colt/Talo Clapp Commander in 45ACP. Bought it in 2013. Has had thousands of rounds through it over the years but I mainly use Win 230gr FMJ and Win 230gr JHP. when I shoot it. I know there are many, many different HP designs.

Just Terry likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted