Dan Wesson 9mm Extractor Removal

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by RustySocket, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RustySocket

RustySocket Member

Dec 17, 2017
    So I've got a recently acquired Valor in 9mm. I've tried all the tricks that I can think of to remove the extractor without risking a nasty scratch from something slipping. I feel like I need a third hand.

In my searches I came across this tool by Dawson:

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-1911-extractor-removal-tool/

Anybody care to comment.

FWIW, the extractor really doesn't need to come out yet. I'm just a guy who has to take new stuff apart. I took a Nylon 66 apart when I was 10 or so... to put things in perspective.

2. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    just push on the hook end have to push it in far enough that it doesnt hook on the slide and it should come right out..

3. RustySocket

RustySocket Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Oh, I'm aware of what _should_ happen. I've had all my other slides apart at some point. It's just not playing very nice.

I can't get it to deflect enough to clear the face and and move to the rear at the same time. Comparing the 9mm extractor to my .45 it takes a lot more deflection and I was just looking for a easier solution that might be less risky than a punch.

Badabing11 and WWB like this.
  4. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Yea sounds like a punch may be your only option to get the kind of leverage you need.

boatdoc likes this.
  5. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Dub, Pistol Pete and WWB like this.
  6. centermass40

centermass40 Member

Sep 10, 2015
    For 9mm extractors I use a plastic cleaning brush. This should give you the needed leverage. p_676450001_1.jpg

RustySocket and july19 like this.
  7. RustySocket

RustySocket Member

Dec 17, 2017
    I will give a brush handle a shot.... I have a feeling that will do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate all the responses.

Wilsonwessonbrown likes this.
  8. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I don’t remove the extractors on 9mm 1911’s without the Dawson tool.

RustySocket and Mike0251 like this.
  9. RustySocket

RustySocket Member

Dec 17, 2017
    I'm going to go ahead and order one.

10. RustySocket

RustySocket Member

Dec 17, 2017
    So I spent the morning screwing around with this extractor again. I decided for now to just leave it be. The gun functions fine and I'm not even sure why I am so hell bent on disassembling it. (Again, it's a character flaw of mine.)

Knowing there will come a time when it will be necessary I went ahead and ordered the Dawson tool. I'm not sure why I will spent thousands on guns, thousands more on reloading supplies... but hesitate to spend 15$ on a dedicated tool.

Thanks for all who responded. Have a Merry Christmas.

11. RustySocket

RustySocket Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Dawson extractor tool arrived yesterday. It makes easy work of removing the extractor. I'm sure there are tricks that make this tool unnecessary but It solved my problem.

Thanks to everyone who participated and offered suggestions.

Happy New Year.

12. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I could not get the extractor out of my pm9 with anything less than a steel punch to move the extractor claw back. I ended up slipping with the punch and scratching the extractor . After that I could not get it to run . I had so much trouble, I called Keith and he tried to talk me through it over the phone. It didn't work. So he replaced it and tuned it for no charge.

The new one is much tighter than any of my other 1911's, but I can get it out with a plastic piece with a little muscle.

I thought it was just me

RustySocket likes this.
  13. coldears

coldears New Member

Jun 24, 2020
    So glad I found this thread. Taking my PM-9 apart for the first time and couldn't move the extractor. I'm going to stop there--the only reason it was going to come out was curiosity.

14. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    The Dawson tool is the answer to this very real problem.
    Jeff

Badabing11 likes this.
  15. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    If you try a punch, be very careful. Like I said above, mine would not budge , even with excess force, and I damaged it.

Get the Dawson tool.

16. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Extractor tool? As some here are so fond of saying: A solution to a non-existent problem. ;)

(I'll stop being my morning grumpy self and finish my coffee...)

17. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    WR,
    I thought the same thing. Do you own a PM9? I have never in my life had an extractor fit so tight. I respect your grumpiness, but if the OP's was like mine, it aint like nothin Ive ever experienced. It is a problem with the PM9, or at least it was with mine.

Off of soap box, I'm back to my coffee now

RustySocket likes this.
  18. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I had a neighbor bring one over as he couldn't figure out how to get it out. I will admit this was tougher than most, and I had to repair the end of my brass drift once I got it out. Not sure why it has to have so much tension on it? But TBH I didn't spend a lot of time with it.

Edit: It was a DW, and a 9mm, but not sure it was a PM9? Is there something unique about that particular model?

19. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    Id
    I don’t know if it’s particular to the PM 9. That’s what I have. I mis read the OPs post. He has a valor, not a PM 9.

Is it a characteristic of 9mm 1911s in general? Or just DW?

20. JJM7288

JJM7288 Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I had a Valor and removing the extractor required a tool (from Brownells) soaking with Ballistol.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted