9mm headstamps

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by DAHoyle, Jul 31, 2020.

1. DAHoyle

DAHoyle Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Going to start loading 9mm now that I bought one for my wife.

Does anyone have any advice on particulars. Just got all my brass sorted and I probably have 3500 9mm. Are there any headstamps I should avoid? Any favorites? I keep my Winchester 45 ACP cases separate from the rest because my reloading does perform better and more consistent with it. It almost never fails the case gauge after reloading. Most of the other brass gets a final crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp die.

boatdoc and hotshot357 like this.
  2. FatMikey

FatMikey Active Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I've reloaded for 30 years but only about a year or so for 9 mm. My brass has been Fiocchi and Speer and both work very well. The biggest change for me, because I shoot the 9 in Glock, Sig, and 1911 is finding the bullet profile and length that work in all guns. I've settled on 125 grain Blue Bullets, 4.1 grains of N320 and 1.124 OAL.

Uncle Bob and hotshot357 like this.

3. hotshot357

hotshot357 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2018
    I've been reloading 9mm for about a year. My cases are range brass (FOP range). I don't sort it, just clean it & reload it. So far' it's worked for me.

4. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Somewhat a rarity, but if you’re running range brass-
    I’ve run across some CBC and Amaxx (I believe) that has a “shelf”, presumably to prevent bullet set back (likely in subguns).
    This both reduces internal volume and if you attempt a heavier (longer) bullet or attempt to seat deeper than as was designed, you will have a problem.
    BE2446FE-A340-4AB6-A928-1FAF72D5C2AF.jpeg

5. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    The stepped brass pictured above is to be AVOIDED at all costs
    The cases separate at the shelf often after reloading and stick in the chamber.
    WORTH the time to sperate these out while prepping your brass.
    Also get in the habit of watching your press and prior to charging with powder look to make sure it is not a stepped case.

Other than stepped cases I reload it all
    Crimped NATO cases can be a PITA, throw those out or bring them to the scrap yard

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    extremist, Cbzr1107, Dub and 4 others like this.
  6. BHP9

BHP9 Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    AMERC is to be shunned upon. Crap brass.

7. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I know it’s not needed but I always separate my brass by head stamps. Usually reload mainly Federal, Blazer, R & P. I don’t care for Winchester that much in 9mm and load that when I may not be able to pick up my brass.

Watch for crimped primer pockets as they are not worth dealing with. WMA is one and it goes into the recycling bucket along with AMERC and stepped cases.

There is so much 9mm brass available to pick up, it is easy to be picky. I think I have around 20,000 and I have never bought any 9mm except defensive ammo.

8. CoalCracker.

CoalCracker. Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2020
    I load whatever i find. Unless it's got the ''Glock bulge''. Some run them through a bulge buster. But there is so much brass laying around. No reason to mess with it.

For tight chambered guns. I find the Lee factory crimp die helps a lot. I had my share of stuck slides lol. Then i got the FCD. My walther and 92 have tight chambers. Now they both do well with reloads.

9. DAHoyle

DAHoyle Member

Sep 29, 2019
    thanks, everyone. Helps to know what to look for. I can't imagine I would have missed one of those shelfed casings, but I would have had no idea what I was looking at if I encountered one. I did notice several WMA casings, and the crimped primers, but I was already aware of those.

gps man likes this.
  10. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Or get a primer pocket swager and reload all the brass people throw away or take to the scrap yard.

Thinking of the potential future, I would not throw away any usable brass at all, ever.

11. DAHoyle

DAHoyle Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Yeah. I'm with you there. I shot mainly 45, but I am starting 9mm now. I hang onto just about everything. I have a tub of 40, that I have no use at all for other than to trade or give away. Once I take the time to sort it out, it doesn't make any sense to throw it away. Probably sitting on 4000 45 acp casings, 3500-4000 9mm, and 3000 40 cal, plus a small qty of 223, 308, 357 and 38 special, and a grand total of 2 44 mags. Have some 380 but don't have any plans for it. Maybe some day.

12. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    It is said that 9mm head spaces off the lip of the case. Better accuracy can be obtained by trimming cases to .750 OAL if accuracy is your thing.
    Dillon makes tooling for removing the primer pocket crimp in 9mm brass for their 600 swager if so inclined.
    A good investment is the Ballistic Tools Primer Pocket GO NO-GO gauges if swaging primer pockets.

13. DAHoyle

DAHoyle Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Good to know but I really don't get that worked up over extreme accuracy in a handgun. Generally shoot steel or set up and run tactical drills. 8" plate at 7 yards or center of mass is good enough.

14. Ned Christiansen

Ned Christiansen Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2013
    I hate reloading 9mm. Have not done it in.... decades. Even more, I hate doing it because I have to. EVEN MORE, those four words, "small pistol primer famine"!

I've seen this question come up a few times about the Ammoload cases with the step in them-- pretty unconventional and for the reloader, a little, well, disconcerting. Last night I was sorting 9mm brass picked up from a recent class... being as how "scrounge mode" has been activated after years of throwing away or giving away 9mm brass....and found some of the Ammoload after tumbling. I sorted it out and took some time today to do a little study-- everyone draw your own conclusion. Mine is, I would not use it for loading 9mm Major but you guys living on that edge already have your formula and know that's not territory for trying the new and unusual. For the way I will load 9's to the mild side, going from what I see here, I don't think there's any issue. Looks to me like Ammoload and FM are probably from the same plant but with different headstamps. I think FM in this case might mean Freedom Munitions. My limited experience with them is that they are a good outfit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gaijin likes this.
  15. apipeguy

Feb 28, 2014
    Just found another one to avoid today. It is stamped Grom. Appears to be brass but it is steel.

16. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I went along blithely loading the "shelf" cases... until I cut one in half at a match.
    Now I cull them when found at the D550 powder station.

Wouldn't hurt to run a magnet over your basket of cases; there are brass plated steel cases and a steel case can look like tarnished brass to a quick glance.

17. apipeguy

Feb 28, 2014
    These Grom cases appear to be the same as brass cases, I don’t know if they are brass washed or what. Did not see anything that was suspect until after I wet tumbled and the some of the brass wash or whatever had worn off. I used a magnet to confirm they were steel and pulled out more that were in batches ready for wet tumbling with the magnet.

I have 7-8 thousand 9mm cases that have been dry tumbled. I’m currently sizing/decapping and wet tumbling those. Hopefully my second 2 1/2 gallon pail won’t have any of those.

18. noylj

noylj Member

May 20, 2012
    >Better accuracy can be obtained by trimming cases to .750 OAL if accuracy is your thing.
    0.754" is better and matching the case length to the chambers head space is best (but the case could only be used in that chamber and chambers the same length or longer).
    I have LONG separated out my longest 9x19 cases for accuracy competitions. Shorter cases increase head space and lead to larger groups.
    If I was a Bullseye competitor, I would buy 9x21 cases and trim the cases to EXACTLY match my chamber head space.
    For all reloaders, but 9x19 loaders in particular, ALWAYS push down on the seated bullet with thumb or finger pressure and reject any round where the bullet moves. I say particularly 9x19 loaders as no other cartridge I have ever loaded has such a range of case wall thicknesses. There are actually some brands with case walls so thin that there is almost NO bullet tension. I throw those cases out.

19. 340pd

340pd Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2020
    I must be the outlier. I work at an indoor range and we are awash in brass. I keep a few thousand casings in the calibers I shoot and none of them are sorted. Every month or so I dump a few hundred into my tumbler and I go from there.
    Every handgun I own is capable of outshooting my best so spending hours looking at headstamps is not my thing.
    I am more pissed since the .45's are now far more prevalent in SPP's. Sorting those things is another topic.

20. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Not all CBC 9X19 brass are balloon cases. I’ve loaded many over the last five years and never found one, maybe it’s just the luck of the draw. My problem is that I don’t like to load it anyway. The Ammoland goes in the bucket.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted