1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having an issue with nose diving in my Guardian when using JHP’s. I’ve tried two so far: Federal 147 gr HST and Hornady 115 gr. Hornady.

Before I waste more money I was hoping you guys can tell me what JHP works well in your 9mm 1911’s?

This is a problem that occurs with fully loaded or nearly loaded mags during loading or reloading... when dropping the slide on a loaded mag. If I load the mags no more than 80% capacity then this problem goes away.

I know I can experiment with the gun by changing recoil springs, getting the higher EGW mag catch, adjusting extractor tension, using different mags, etc. But this gun feeds fine with ball ammo. I’m hoping to find a JHP that has a bullet profile that this pistol likes, instead.

Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will like to hear the answer also. I just got in a Guardian 38super this week & if mine does that, I'd be a super unhappy camper!!!
I seriously doubt you’ll have problems. It’s the short OAL of 9mm in a platform that wasn’t designed for it.

In fact, if I can’t resolve this then I might convert mine to 38 Super.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I’m using DW’s factory mags plus Tripp’s. They’re both doing it, and the more the mag is loaded, the more likely it is to happen.

Thanks.

ETA- if I load either one to a max of 8 it will feed fine. But the DW mag is a 9 rounder, the Tripp is a 10.

I took a Tripp mag, loaded it to 8 JHP’s, and dropped the slide 30 times and it fed fine. If I load it to 9 rounds then it’s like 1 out of every 3 times. Fully loaded it’s almost guaranteed to do it.

·
Premium Member
17,840 Posts
Are you using factory mags? All the other issues you suggested don't exist at 80% capacity then it stands pretty clear that it more than likely is the mags.

Agreed. I'm using McCormick for my 9mm and it feeds everything I've fed it to date. The Springfield mags were (censored) and going to trade in at Browns.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
When you say nosedive, do you mean the round does not get out of the mag? I had a problem with a new DW Valor and FTF which was an extractor issue. Not sure DW really tunes their 1911 extractors.

Most of my 1911s are 9mm and I have not had a nosedive problem with a variety of mags and JHP ammo. If you are worried about cartridge length, there are variances in 9mm so look for a longer cartridge. WC used to recommend a longer 9mm ball cartridge for the first few hundred rounds.

Also, I agree with Zoid on the the critical duty. That is my carry ammo.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
If the magazines are new, load the mags and let them sit a week, I also like to polish my feed ramps with flitz until you can comb your hair looking into it
^^ this --+ try other mags too .

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
This is a problem that occurs with fully loaded or nearly loaded mags during loading or reloading... when dropping the slide on a loaded mag.
Same problem with my 45acps. FMJ feeds 100%, while flat points & HPs do not feed reliably.
Tried many mags different brands no help. I can start with a FMJ followed with an HP round
it feeds better. Almost always has a FTF with the HP round 1st.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If I load the mags no more than 80% capacity then this problem goes away.
As we all know, the top round in a single stack magazine will strike the feed ramp lowest while the last round in the magazine will strike the feed ramp highest. Perhaps replacing your OEM magazine catch with an EGW Higher magazine catch will get the first couple of rounds to impact the feed ramp high enough to solve the problem. I've seen this work in several pistols.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I bought a Colt GCT in 9 mm and 5 McCormick 10-rd mags. Guess I got lucky as I've never had a nosedive or 3-point jam with fully loaded McCormick mags and 6 different HP's. That's over 4K handloads using Magnus & Zero HP's in both rounded and truncated forms, and truncated Hornady HAP's and Montana Gold's.

OTOH, I bought 5 10-rd McCormicks for my Kimber .45 and every one nosedived with 10 rds, most with 9 and none with 8. I eventually decided 8 rd mags are what the gun demands, and life is good. The nosedives were independent of bullet style .... the RN could be seen to nosedive, they just didn't lead to a jam as the HP's would.

You can test different bullets in different mags by inserting the loaded mag then slingshooting in excruciating slow motion. You'll see the round nosedive and contact the feed ramp. Continue letting the slide move and see if you can get it to jam so that you can turn loose of the slide completely and have it remain jammed. The combination of mag make, bullet style, OAL and round count that won't jam in slow motion is the happiest situation. Easier (and less frustrating) to find that combo in the shop than at the range.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,518 Posts
Winchester silver tips, and the old black talons worked in my PM9. I think the black talons have been rebranded by Winchester, maybe another addict will know what they are called.

it is interesting though , my pm 9 went 800 flawless rounds and feed problems developed. I called Keith Lawton . We tried readjusting the extractor but the sob would not come out. I sent it back and now it runs fine. Mine exhibited different symptoms but just makes me go hmmm.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Sometimes a higher mag catch works...depending on the mags used...

I have an 8 rounder in 45acp that when seated in my DW CCO and i release the slide, it will nosedive into the feed ramp. Same mag with my pinky under it giving slight upward pressure (effectively rising it higher) and when i release the slide it feeds no problem...

Reactions: Mike A
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.