9mm Luger in .38 Super?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by MuayThaiJJ, Jul 1, 2020.

1. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    See my sig...

2. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Sorry, I don't look at Sigs. I'm also not stupid enough to shoot wrong ammo in a pistol or rifle.

3. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Do explain please. I can’t see shooting 9mm in a 38 super leading to a breech explosion. Sure, anything can happen, but I see this about as likely as shooting a 38 super in a 38 super barrell causing a breech explosion. I’m open to learning though.

4. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    I used to think I wasn’t either until I picked up what I thought was my dropped round, put it in my mag and shot the next stage. It was someone else’s 40 they had dropped. Phht. Sounded like a dud. Wasn’t.

FWoo45 and Fred_G like this.
  5. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Glad to know someone never makes a mistake. :)

Mike Meints likes this.
  6. RodII

RodII Active Member

May 14, 2016
    Unless your 38 Super has a generous chamber a 9mm will not chamber. I measured a 9mm and a 38 Super and the body above the rim on the 9mm was .010 larger.
    2 different barrels, recoil springs, and mags and you are good to go.
    By the way, what is a breech explosion?

7. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    The great people at Chambers Custom built this for me. It's a 9mm/38 Super convertible and is a wonderful gun in either caliber. I call it 'The Retired Ladies Gun'. RLG 1.jpg
    There's a barrel, bushing, link, recoil spring, guide rod & cap and extractor for each caliber.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Fred_G, Dwe, FWoo45 and 3 others like this.
  8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I was agreeing with you and attempting to add to the comment. Pardon my intrusion.

9. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I've got a switch caliber (9mm and super38) in a commander sized pistol. Both calibers run very well, I use different mags but super 38 mags will USUALLY run 9mm just fine. Anywho, out running drills a few years ago and phtt! WTF? I thought I squibbed a round but no, turns out I had inadvertantly loaded a 9mm by mistake. I was mad, I was embarrassed, I was confused, but mostly I was thankful that something horrible didn't happen to me or my commander.
    Bottom line, buy a barrel for each caliber. You'll need dedicated super 38 mags, they will likely feed 9mm, maybe. And be cautious the rounds are similar and I'm an old time super guy.
    ps, I don't often tell that story but it seemed necessary.

antagony, FWoo45 and Mike Meints like this.
  10. MuayThaiJJ

MuayThaiJJ Previously antagony

Jun 28, 2020
    Thanks man, I’ve heard of similar stories. I plan on getting a dedicated 9mm barrel, and possible recoil spring and mag, but I’ll see how it functions. RIA uses the exact same parts: extractor, spring, rod, etc for 9mm/38 super. I was on the phone with them today and they said all I need is the 9mm barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

switchback likes this.
  11. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    9mm's will chamber in a 38 Super!

A few years ago I went to shoot a club match with my Kimber 38 Super!
    I had 5 @ 38 Super magazines and 200 rounds of 9MM! OOPS!

The 38 Sup uses a 15# recoil spring. I had to put 10# recoil spring in for reliable function. I shot the match with ZERO issues! The extractor had to hold the 9mm case for ignition but seemed to work just fine! For 60 rounds!

Do I recommend this? Absolutely not!

Did it work? Yup!

Smiles,

Mike Meints likes this.
  12. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I thought these scenarios always started with....”Hold my beer”???

wrmiller and Mike Meints like this.
  13. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Simple rule, no “buts”, “what if’s” or “I read”, only shoot the ammo stamped on the barrel of your handgun, shotgun or rifle. You will go home to live another day and your firearm will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Babboonbobo and wrmiller like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted