9mm Mags for LW 1911

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Leadslinger585, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Leadslinger585

Leadslinger585 Active Member

Aug 6, 2017
    So back when I got my Colt XSE Lightweight in .45 ACP, everyone told me to use skirted mags.

Well I just got a Clapp Commander in 9mm that's a lightweight and I've been looking for 9mm mags that have a skirt, without much luck.

Is there a skirted 9mm mag or is it that 9mm mag followers not have the same issues that a 45 does when used in an alloy frame?

For reference the two on the left have skirted followers, the one on the right is not skirted:
    [​IMG]
    Image credit: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com found via Google image search.

2. nix_gary

nix_gary Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2017
    What issue does the lwt 45 have? I have 2 in 45 and 2 in 9mm and 38 super? Thousands of rounds through all 4 and no issues[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Leadslinger585

Aug 6, 2017
    nix_gary,

I have heard (well, read) that unskirted followers can gouge the alloy frame.

nix_gary likes this.
  4. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Below ignore the pistol on the top as it is a 2015 all steel Colt Gov in 9mm. In the middle is a 2015 XSE LW Commander in 9mm and on the bottom a 2010 Defender in 9mm which of course also has an Aluminum alloy frame.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I have been using the supplied Colt mags with these and have not noticed any damage to the ramps on the frames.

By the way, does the Colt/Talo Clapp Commander in 9mm have the pencil barrel? I have yet to see on in a LGS. A for example is that 2015 XSE LW Commander in 9mm on the left compared to a 2009 XSE LW Commander in 38 Super on the right.

[​IMG]

By the way, the 2009 XSE LW Commander in 38 Super does not have "skirted" mags and the feed ramp is still fine on it also. Again just using supplied Colt mags.

Leadslinger585 likes this.
  5. Leadslinger585

Aug 6, 2017
    Interesting. I wonder if what I'd been told is false, or if it is just a non-issue in 9mm variants.

6. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Frequently, if not exclusively, 9mm’s have ramped barrels.
    If yours does, it’s a non issue.

I had a Commander (LW/.45) that hollow points chewed the ramp up. Not the follower.
    I installed a ramped barrel as a remedy.

7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    9mm Colt 1911's have a very long ejector. My Competition did, anyway.

I would not use Wilson mags in it, as I bent an ejector in a Colt 9mm, and the last new Colt I shot (railed Combat) in 9mm it was hard to get Tripp mags into it. I just started running Metalforms in 9mm 1911's and am very pleased. If you buy Dawson branded mags they are MetalForms. But they are not skirted.

8. CT72

CT72 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2015
    I had a Colt WCC that either follower or hollow points beat up the feed ramp some. It functioned fine but did scare me away from lightweight frames that don’t have ramped barrels.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted