1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased an STI combat master I am trying to research a ton about 9 Major since this gun was made to shoot them. anyone else here shoot this ammo? I can't find many manufactures that produce this round.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Search on 9mm major ammo for sale and you will find several brands. It isn't common because it is crowding or exceeding +P pressure levels and the big brand names don't want to tool up for a small market or accept the liability if somebody blew up a Hi Point.

I don't know about "made to shoot them." It is a good stout gun and will hold up as well as any, but except for Cool Factor and Recoil Addiction there is little reason for 9 Major in STI combat master.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
By the way, I’m a STI collector. I also have a CM. The gun was not “Designed” to shoot Major. Any 9mm with a fully supported ramped barrel and sprung properly can shoot major.

Major is classed for open guns. To shoot a CM in open would be a huge disadvantage as you would be going against huge comps and optics.

Taran Butler who helped design the aesthetics on the gun was the one going around touting it as a gun to shoot Major in. Knowing how Taran operates it was just to get more PR.

You can see in the STI Archives it says nothing about Major ammo.

https://stiguns.com/knowledge-base-2/combat-master/

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Absolutely not. It will not chamber it is 2mm longer. If it somehow was detonated when trying to chamber it would not be pretty.

9mm is 9mmx19mm
38 super and 9x23Winchester is 9mmx23mm

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Search on 9mm major ammo for sale and you will find several brands. It isn't common because it is crowding or exceeding +P pressure levels and the big brand names don't want to tool up for a small market or accept the liability if somebody blew up a Hi Point.

I don't know about "made to shoot them." It is a good stout gun and will hold up as well as any, but except for Cool Factor and Recoil Addiction there is little reason for 9 Major in STI combat master.
You'll find that High Powers crack slides with +p or higher pressure loads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'll find that High Powers crack slides with +p or higher pressure loads.
I heard this. But so far from googling it it happens in guns with high round counts and there currently haven't seen any reports of the combat master cracking slides

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I heard this. But so far from googling it it happens in guns with high round counts and there currently haven't seen any reports of the combat master cracking slides
I've had it happen to me. I went from one of my Series 70 competition guns to a Browning High Power to "game' the match. First stage with a mover, slide cracked.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now you got me paranoid.. I'm just gonna put the major power ammo to the side for now lol.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
My combat master
Understand one thing, the chamber/barrel puts up with the pressure on a 1911 as long as it's within the specified pressure limits for that barrel. I personally fired a double charge in a Series 70 when I first started using a Star I wasn't that knowable with early on. All it did was blow out both grips and kill a magazine. BUT, I was using a powder for my reloads that's more forgiving on pressure than a lot of the others.

However to be sure, email or WRITE STI and get specific information on what you can and can't use in the pistol. That way you have a copy of the maker telling you what you can and can't use in the pistol.

I do not have an STI and I really have no knowledge about how they're made and what they can tolerate.

·
Dremel jockey
3,981 Posts
9mm 'Major' was typically loaded long.
1.250" overall length.
This results in much greater case capacity equal to the 38 Super.
Retention of the projo in the case was sometimes a problem.
Barrels were reamed to accommodate the increased length.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
The Combat Master is fully capable of shooting Major. It is built to the same specs as all STI’s including their competition guns. Fully ramped and supported barrel.

It will need a new heavier recoil spring. Call Dawson on Monday and see what they recommend. I’d go 2-4lb heavier but listen to the pros. Something approaching lower 45 levels.

I even have a 3.24” barreled STI with 38 Super and 9x23Win barrels fitted and it functions fine with proper springing. A 3.9” STI as well in 9x23 and that’s a hotter round than the Major ammo listed, 124gr @ 1450fps.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts