1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1911 long slide by a well known semi custom maker. The gun was purchased lightly used and shot great for the first 300 rounds. Yesterday, th e nightm,are started. I was using Blazer brass 124 gr fmj.(I think that I used S+B 124 gr fmj for the first 300 rounds though) I would load up a magazine with 7-8 round and fire 1-3 rounds. the gun would LOOK like it was in full battery BUT the trigger would not move and the slide wa s locked up with alive round int he chamber. I removed the magazine, and worked the slide, as I did the hammer would fall(but no discharge happened thanks goodness). The slide did eventually release and th e live round ejected. I could then fire the gun for a round or a few and the same thing happened again and again.

I came home and detail stripped and cleaned the gun. I di d notice that the recoil spring just fell out once the cap was removed instea d of staying on the recoil guide rod. Otherwise nothing broken or bent without ammo everything works fine. no hammer follow, grip safety works as it should.slide moves easily and trigger works perfectly.

any ideas here on what could be wrong or what was happening ? I am determined to try it again . I am gett ing 2 other brands of ammo to try.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was as advertise LNIB. very very tight. and per my usual. I clean and lube the guns before ever shooting

one note though..now that you mention it. the barrel bushing is EXTREMELY tight and hard to get out and back on. it barely turns.

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
Instead of getting a live round stuck in the chamber I'd send it off to the "semi-custom" builder and have them deal with it. Life is to short and precious for issues as you describe them, IMHO

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm no expert but in your disassembly did you clean the firing pin channel? The firing pin plunger is working correctly, the pin & spring good?

On the lighter side we used to refer to S & B ammo as "sometimes bang", though they've improved hugely and I dont hesitate buying it nowadays.
yeah I did clean during the detailed strip. not much dirt other than in the chamber area. the gun shoots great-- until it didn't onc e I cleared the live round. it would work and fire fine..until it did not again

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’d try other ammo, it sounds like an ammo problem to me.
that is what I am hoping for. the blazer brass was the issue not the S+B( go figure

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Instead of getting a live round stuck in the chamber I'd send it off to the "semi-custom" builder and have them deal with it. Life is to short and precious for issues as you describe them, IMHO
I wrote to them too but I value our members input. such an odd issue to have--to me any way

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you say you cleaned and lubed it before shooting....did you detail strip it or just field strip?
detail strip. only thing I found was the barrel bushing wa s very hard to move and the recoil spring came out with the recoil cap

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
of cours e it is a full moon ;)

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
of cours e it is a full moon ;)

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.