9mm Passing 45 in 1911 Patterns?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by razorbacker, Apr 19, 2019.

1. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    You fellows have a lot more knowledge in the 1911 world than myself so feel free to counter this thought. It seems to me in recent months there is a much stronger demand for 9mm than 45 acp in 1911s. I not just talking about the smaller carry 1911s but the 5" as well. I know the gun market is way too soft right now but I see very nice .45 acp 1911s well below reasonable values sit while 9mm versions seem to get sucked up. Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. UncleEd

UncleEd Member

Sep 23, 2016
    A gun dealer in high end 1911s such as Nighthawk and
    Wilson mentioned to me that it seems like the 9mm is
    being favored in sales 5-to-1.

Look how Wilson is capitalizing on the trend with his
    hi cap 1911. It was he who wrote an article explaining
    that the 9mm is the way to go these days in terms
    of 1911 design and ballistics not to mention economy.

Wilson also mentioned that really and ideally the 9mm
    with its tapered casing is more compatible with the 1911
    design than the fat .45 even though the .45 has been the
    classic caliber for the 1911.

After all, the early designs started with the .38, not the .45.

Of course, this apparent turnaround will not stop the
    caliber wars of the puny 9 vs. the mighty .45.

Colorado Sonny and xerts1191 like this.

3. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I like to buy the same gun in both 9mm and 45acp
    Example: two almost identical Guncrafters in both calibers:) also did LB Premier IIs in both
    C6C3928B-27C5-47F2-85E3-BC53ECB8C830.jpeg

4. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    If you look at Wilson's in-stock inventory of full sized 1911's, it is mostly 9mm, and I don't think it's because they don't sell.

5. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    IMO the 9mm has gotten more popular simply because it is cheaper to shoot. Personally I am a 45 guy and do not own a 9mm. I do however have a 38 super.

6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I've never fired a 1911 in 9mm, but it looks like I am really missing out judging by the responses I've read. I think a large part of that is the fact that I have a good bit of .45acp, and little to no 9mm ammunition. Not really a good enough reason to pass one up, but it means a larger overall investment for me to get into another caliber.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  7. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    It's cheaper to shoot, recoil is non-existent, we now have mags that WORK. Love my MINOR guns, except when i'm shoot against Major points.

Colorado Sonny, Liggett and KTXdm9 like this.
  8. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    Meh, I sold the only 9mm 1911 I bought pretty quickly. 9mm is for doublestacks. 10 or 45 for single stack 1911s for me.

9. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Yes, please no caliber wars. Let’s just discuss what we are observing in the 1911 marketing trends and personal likes on 1911s of these calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  10. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I have now four SS in 9mm they are a JOY to shoot.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  11. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I find myself being drawn to commander or CCO size 9mm 1911s more these days, and I think it's because i have what i need in 45. I'm not buying them, but they have peaked my interest.

Colorado Sonny and sparkyfender like this.
  12. Nick Rice

Nick Rice Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    My first choice is .45 and I'm sure they will always be my favorite but that makes much sense to me. My last two purchases were 1911s in 9mm. A Dan Wesson PM9 and a new Colt Gold Cup

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Colorado Sonny, PhilaPop and Liggett like this.
  13. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    9mm is the ubiquitous round. Cheap and easy to shoot.

That said, I prefer either 38 Super or 45 in my 1911’s. If I am going to carry 9mm it is going to be in a double stack Sig.

14. Hvrnaut

Hvrnaut Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2016
    My take: 1911’s are preferred by an older group of pistols enthusiasts. Younger shooters, on the other hand, really, really like 9mm polymer guns.

As the “older” crowd becomes more and more intolerant, or sensitive to the recoil of the .45 ACP vs the softer shooting 9mm, it only makes sense that the demand for the increased number of 1911’s in 9mm.

The 5 to 1 number cited in an earlier post is proof that the demographic is changing. Heck, most of the top pistol makers (Wilson, etc) and shooter/instructors (Vickers, Hackathorn, etc.) prefer the 9mm. I realize there are a multitude of reasons they have switched, but I believe recoil and cost are at the top of the list.

15. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    It's a good caliber for women and those who dislike or are recoil sensitive. And it's a good choice for those who like cheap(er) fun at the range.

16. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I have the same pair, sans the Bob; the 9mm is not my carry gun but it is my range gun.

Colorado Sonny and Babboonbobo like this.
  17. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Tempted, but I will invest in more Supers.

18. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    To your point, some of the old die-hard 1911 shooters I know at matches who used to say you have to squat to pee if you aren't shooting 45 are now shooting 1911's in 9mm.

19. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I agree with your initial impression....I see a lot more demand for 9mm in 1911's. I think its a trend that will continue as well.

Personally ....with some fairly serious arthritis in my hands and wrists ...I switched my primary carry to a 5" Wilson in 9mm about 3 yrs ago(& retired my 5" Wilson in .45acp)...and at that time, I was kind of in the minority. Today...I think I'm more in the majority.

I have friends that own 2 gunshops in my area...and they both tell me demands are up on 9mm 1911's...( they still sell a lot of poly frame guns ) but there is more talk even among younger shooters about 1911's in 9mm than .45 acp. .38 Super gets no love in my area...very small group of buyers ( nothing wrong with it / but its more of an afficianado's caliber ) like guys on this site.

20. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    I just picked up a 9mm 1911. I wanted it in 1911 because i have a butt-load of 9mm reloaded that i was ignoring to shoot 1911 in .45. Problem solved! More or less, i like both calibers. Ok who am i kidding, i like anything if it goes bang!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted