9mm Ruger Problem....

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by walleyemonster, Mar 23, 2019.

1. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    This old guy could use some info from some of our more knowledgeable 1911 hobbyists. Having purchased another 1911 during the winter months, the weather broke enough to at least get out and run a function test.
    This Ruger is a commander size in 9mm. It is also my 6th 1911 I have purchased. Adjusting extractor tension has never been a problem in any of them until now. I do use the Weigand tension tool and a Lyman pull gage.
    My routine for checking tension has always been to insert loaded mag, and chamber a round. Then remove the magazine. Fire the gun. If the case drops out the grip, I know it needs tension, because the case is not controlled. All of my guns pass this test and run 100% after they are adjusted.
    The new Ruger failed this test. I field stripped the pistol and inserted the Weigand tension bar for 9mm and it had NO tension. It was sloppy loose. I tensioned the extractor and tried again. Sloppy loose to the tension bar. Scratching my head, I removed the extractor. By appearance it looked like a .45 extractor. I grabbed a new Wilson Bulletproof extractor in 9mm and compared. It was indeed different. So proceeded to install the new 9mm extractor. It still would not tension.
    My question is this. Does anyone have slide dimensions for a 9mm 1911 slide? Something has to be out of spec in the slide proper. The gun will run a full mag with mag inserted. Without a doubt the extractor has NO tension. I could use some pointers, as I have never seen this on any other 1911.

2. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    You possibly need to remove some material from the fitting pad of the extractor to allow extractor to move closer to the case rim.

3. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I did that. I have removed so much material that the pad is almost gone. Still will not tension in the slightest. Would like to find a print on 9mm slides to try and find what is out of spec.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted