9mm Single Stack Magazine- best over all areas

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by SW CQB 45, Jan 28, 2018.

1. SW CQB 45

SW CQB 45 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I have been using factory Springfield Armory 9 round mags and CMC 10s for many years....but in the past few years...running into a minor issue. Both my mag brands have the feed ramp on the tube.

The mags work in the gun, but in the police world......during training, we will be told to download a mag to a certain round count.

Here is where I run into my issue. If my mags are loaded to the hilt or one to three down....if you try to strip off the top round with my thumb,
    • the top round nose dives below the mag feed ramp
    • I try to pry the bullet up while applying back pressure on the back of the round and the case rim will engage the next lower round case rim area and blocks the round from moving fwd.
    • When I am successful in stripping the top round off....the stripped round is flying away from my hand due to the excessive force I used (ha...no paperwork required on that use of force)
    Remember this only happens on fully loaded or a few rounds down, because after that....it will strip off rounds like a .45 mag. :)

I mainly use the CMC 10s and will note a few things
    • when I first got these mags....I could not load to 10 and the 9th round was difficult. It was suggested by CMC to trim a coil +. So I cut off 1.5 coils and could load 10 without loosing reliability.
    • the mags are easy to load till you get to 9 and then have to exert extra thumb pressure.
    • I can see the mag spring through the witness holes at the bottom and it appears the spring coils are touching (fully loaded)
    • these mags have ran 100% in my Springfield CC9 (couple thou) and what few 100 rounds I have put through my Valkyrie.
    • the follower design seems to allow nose dive, but does not affect function with the handgun.
    I like the CMCs till I have to manually download a mag.

I have never opted to try another mag brand due to costs. CMC provides LEO discount.

In your experience, does one mag brand in single stack 9mm only (9 or 10 round capacity) offer

• Reliability?
    • Durability?
    • ease of Loading to the hilt?
    • ease of Unloading (manually stripping rounds to download from the hilt)?
    • ease of maintenance (I like removable floor plates/base pads)?

I am fully aware that rounds in the 1911 mag will nose dive to a certain extent, but I am wondering because of the 9mm case design....the nose dive and case design are not jiving?

I am not opposed to trying another mag brand (like WC, Tripp, etc) however if they are all the same (see bullet points above) and this is inhernet of the single stack 9mm mag....I will just stick to my CMCs. I will have to figure out a better way to manually (thumb) strip rounds off my CMC mags.

Additional:
    I did take two of my CMC 10s and did the following..
    • stoned the feed lip area (they felt jagged) and dremel felt wheel polished them. felt smmmoooottthhh.
    • I loaded to 10 (9 and 10 were still difficult) and went to thumb manually strip the rounds and was met with the same issue.
    • I did test with a spring coil, then two coils sticking out of the bottom of the mag and loaded to the hilt. I did not like the feel of the first few rounds. in other words....trying to fix the bottom end will affect the top end. :(

thanks for looking

simonp likes this.
  2. joeg26er

joeg26er Active Member

May 6, 2017
    Many other people have more experience but I've only used Wilson with zero issues

Tripp is also very highly regarded

zipper046 likes this.

3. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    CMC xp, Wilson, & Dawson 10 round 9mm mags that I have had does the same when loaded to capacity. The Wilsons was the hardest to unload by hand without a UpLULA. The 9round Colt metalform mags can be unloaded easily by hand.

[​IMG]

july19 likes this.
  4. joeg26er

joeg26er Active Member

May 6, 2017
    Interesting
    My new 10 round 9mm Wilson's are easily loaded

Pablomigraine likes this.
  5. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    How easy are they to unload? I could load my Wilsons but unloading them was a chore.

cwoods likes this.
  6. joeg26er

joeg26er Active Member

May 6, 2017
    About 3-4lbs per round

Sapper and Whiten like this.
  7. Mr. B

Mr. B VFW - Life Member

May 10, 2016
    I like Sig, Wolff, and CMC mags. Also the speed loaded is a thumb saver.

8. SW CQB 45

Dec 31, 2017
    I put a loader in my cart.

But will it unload without sending my rounds past the firing line?

9. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Yes , it will unload a mag dropping bullets into your hand.

10. SW CQB 45

Dec 31, 2017
    thank you sir!!!

Whiten likes this.
  11. Mr. B

Mr. B VFW - Life Member

May 10, 2016
    About the 2:03 mark is the unload.

Whiten likes this.
  12. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    can also turn it around and push the rounds out like you put them in.

about at 2.10, its easier than he makes it out

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    SW CQB 45 likes this.
  13. SW CQB 45

Dec 31, 2017
    That’s how I intend to use it. I was going to try WC mag, but will do the loader/unloaded first.

Thanks

Whiten likes this.
  14. Pablomigraine

Pablomigraine Whatchoo gots?

Feb 17, 2018
    I had the gear package promo with my Springfield EMP, so I ended up with 7 SA branded (metalform?) Mags. Two of them developed problems after a few hundred rounds. Tried a pair from Dawson Precision and a pair from Wilson.... both have been perfect, but one has an extra round...

;-)

15. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Amen, brother.

16. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I’ve been shooting, carrying and competing with 9mm 1911’s for several years. Since you already have mags, go with the loader. If you’re in the market for new mags, a fella I shoot IDPA with just bought some of the 10rd Tripp mags and showed me how easily they could be unloaded with 10 rounds in them.

17. SW CQB 45

Dec 31, 2017
    I have some Tripps in the cart. Just need to hit the buy button.

18. Garrett Opolko

Garrett Opolko John Moses Browning a genius

Jan 4, 2018

19. Garrett Opolko

Garrett Opolko John Moses Browning a genius

Jan 4, 2018
    You might want to try a wilson 10 rd 9mm mag. I just bought 2 for my DW Guardian.

20. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    MetalForm or Tripp is what I buy for 9mm and 38 Super

And yes.....the UpLula is one of themust have accessories

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    v1911 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted