1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
not a bad idea, until we realize (i am preferring a .45 as well), is that if more people give up 9's, for the .45's?

there will be spikes in that ammo pricing as well.
With the amount of 45 I have on hand and components to load more, I’m not worried about running out for MANY years. I’m well hedged on 9 too but not to the same degree.
Here’s my rant for the day....I’m on a TX hunting message board, and there are a dozen or more WTB ammo threads in the classifieds, and every one contains some snarky comment about wanting “reasonably priced” and “not going to pay scalper’s prices”. Here’s the deal...ammo is in high demand, and those guys are begging to buy some. Since when did the unprepared get to dictate pricing to the prepared?!?
I have a bunch of 40 that a guy was looking for, and he didn’t like my price. He showed his tail, and I just told him that while he’s sitting at home dry firing his gun I’d be thinking of him while I was shooting mine.
These same guys brag about their $70k trucks and $30k Polaris Rangers and all their other high end crap, but yet they wouldn’t stock any ammo. I have no sympathy.

·
The Tinker
3,373 Posts
Never had any use for 9mm, thankfully. The wife has one, but we don't need much ammo for it. I switched to 40 S&W and 10mm quite a while ago, but I still have my token .45 at home with a little ammo for it. It's just a nightstand pistol and I don't need much ammo for that.

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
As in 2008 , 9mm and 223 , 556 , seem to dry up first . I always wonder who people think they're going to be fighting off that they need to buy every ounce of ammo they can . Supply and demand dictate price . One thing I've noticed , although not a cheap ammo , 40 cal seems to be readily available .

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
As in 2008 , 9mm and 223 , 556 , seem to dry up first . I always wonder who people think they're going to be fighting off that they need to buy every ounce of ammo they can . Supply and demand dictate price . One thing I've noticed , although not a cheap ammo , 40 cal seems to be readily available .
It’s not about fighting anyone off, but it’s about feeding a hobby. I read comments on this very board daily about guys cutting back on their shooting to save ammo. Some of us don’t need to or have to do that.:thumbs:

·
The Tinker
3,373 Posts
I'm curious as to what war these people who hoard thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo think they are going to be fighting in. But whatever. People do what they want to do.

Reactions: Old_Man

·
Deo Volente
7,125 Posts
I almost bought a thousand round case of Norma .38 Special yesterday. With shipping it was $700.00! Then curiosity got the better of me and I looked up my last order of .38 Special and with tax and shipping it was $300 for a thousand rounds.

I was going through the vault yesterday and noted that I had 400 rounds of American Eagle .38 Special. Something about that number bothered me. Then I noticed one unmarked ammo can which I opened and what do ya know, 600 more rounds of American Eagle .38 Special! Now I don't have to worry about practice rounds for a while in the new King Cobra 2"!

·
The Tinker
3,373 Posts
It’s not about fighting anyone off, but it’s about feeding a hobby. I read comments on this very board daily about guys cutting back on their shooting to save ammo. Some of us don’t need to or have to do that.:thumbs:
Good point. Fortunately, I have other hobbies also. :)

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Just read a post / new thread on TOOS from a guy lamenting prices on 9 and saying he won’t be shooting for the next 4 years

I hope this shortage doesn’t last that long but either way I’ll continue to train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
26,526 Posts
Diversity is key.....
I'm curious as to what war these people who hoard thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo think they are going to be fighting in. But whatever. People do what they want to do.
Or is it more of an investment deal?
“these people who hoard thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo” are they not the ones who aren’t scrambling to find ammo at insane pricing?

You ever hear about “The ant and the grasshopper”?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I almost bought a thousand round case of Norma .38 Special yesterday. With shipping it was $700.00! Then curiosity got the better of me and I looked up my last order of .38 Special and with tax and shipping it was $300 for a thousand rounds.
I did the same thing yesterday with 45acp. Even when sigauer.com has 45acp in stock, it is still $25 per box of 50 for fmj. I just can't stomach that. I'm sure it was plain dumb luck that I placed a "swinging for the fences" type order at sgammo.com back in December of last year. The price would drive my wife to murder but it is far, far, far better than today, if you can find it.

·
8,484 Posts
for someone that doesn’t reload would you recommend it right now, i am a light shooter, 9mm, ar15
It's a great hobby , but components are in short supply . Hard to justify loading press , dies , etc. when you cant buy primers . Like buying a gun with no bullets available .

·
born in the wrong century
4,324 Posts
You got real lucky .

My understanding prior to making the hour drive there was that I was getting two cases. I'd hoped for more. Oh well....it adds to the large rifle inventory a small amount.

I'll likely be able to shoot as much .308Win & .30'06 as I'd want during this Biden-Harris fiasco.

for someone that doesn’t reload would you recommend it right now, i am a light shooter, 9mm, ar15

I don't understand what you are asking ? :morning:

·
8,484 Posts
My understanding prior to making the hour drive there was that I was getting two cases. I'd hoped for more. Oh well....it adds to the large rifle inventory a small amount.

I'll likely be able to shoot as much .308Win & .30'06 as I'd want during this Biden-Harris fiasco.

Most shops , if they even have primers are limiting people to 1 or 2 hundred . Both of my go to places are out .

·
8,484 Posts

Most shops , if they even have primers are limiting people to 1 or 2 hundred . Both of my go to places are out .

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,981 Posts
If the price of 9 X 19 goes higher I’ll trade one case for a new GI commander in .45 acp. Just kidding.😏

Reactions: River runner

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,070 Posts
In 6 months, 9mm's have doubled in price 3 times so,
I bought 2000 Fiocchi 38 supers and 1000 WWB 9mms this last 2 weeks, thinking
that the World has changed and come Inauguration day it could double the price again...
I can't believe I spent $1500 on 3k rounds but right now primers are selling for $200/per K on GB and brass is $180/K if you can find it. I only have 3K SP primers left, so I guess I'm loading and shooting .45s for now. Well, maybe just loading.
And Powder is getting harder and harder to find as well. I think I got the last 8lb jug of 231 at midway usa.
Right now hooting 100 rounds of anything at the range, is very costly, even if I do reload.
If I can't replace what I shoot, then I guess I'll be doing alot of dry firing.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts

I suspect I’ll be shooting more 308 & 556 over the next year too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21 - 40 of 46 Posts