9mm Springfield mag change problem

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by buckshot, Aug 6, 2020.

1. buckshot

buckshot Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Hoping someone can provide insight into a problem I'm having with a government size Springfield in 9mm. When I perform a "tactical " mag change i.e. swapping mags before slide lock, I nearly always end up with a loose round in the grip. Something (slide stop?) Is stripping the top round from the magazine as i withdraw the partially full mag. I have tried several magazine types both with the blocking in the rear or the rib in the front. All exhibit this problem. If the round is not stripped while the magazine is removed, I find the round sticking out of the mag forward of the the mag tube but still partially held in the feed lips. I originally suspected my ammo choice, which was 124g flat point conical. That combo is very short at 1.060 coal. It has a lot of room to float in the mag. I since switched to standard parabolic pointed bullets and even at 1.169 max coal the top round of the mag seems to be getting dragged forward as the round above feeds into the chamber.
    Is this common on 9mm in a 1911? Is there something i should be looking for as a cause?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    That is a common and normal occurrence with a lot of 9mm guns. Many if not most all do it..when you release a partially fired magazine.. I've had Kimber's, Springfields, Colts, and Dan Wesson's all do it. Size of the pistol doesn't matter.

buckshot and Uncle Bob like this.

3. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    ? does it do it while dry fire practice or in live fire?

I own several 9mm's and have had a bunch more, they all seem to do it to some degree.
    Might try Wilson mags without any coils on the spring clipped. i.e PITA to unload by hand.
    Or Metal Form/Dawson mags 10rd. they seem to hold tighter also.

In my guns they don't drop a round in the gun while live firing and changing mags with rounds in them. But Dryfire it's pretty frequent!

4. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Done it with McCormicks, no problem.

5. buckshot

buckshot Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Definitely happening in live fire. Never causes a malf but makes it a chore to swap in a full mag after a stage. With any other gun i can swap mags without unholstering, behind the line. With this thing i have to step to the line, draw, drop the partial mag, catch a loose round, then insert a fresh one before holstering...ughhhh

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    This was me about a year or more ago. I tried several mags with my 9mm RO. Try Mec-Gar mags. These stopped my RO from 'piddling' and driving me insane. I can get them locally for around $25, so that is a bonus.

buckshot and Bender like this.
  7. buckshot

buckshot Member

Feb 2, 2013
    I have mec gar and they are my favorites but they still "piddle". Maybe not at the same frequency but.....

8. buckshot

buckshot Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Bender asked about ejector contact. A mec gar mag locked in by the catch puts the top round touching the ejector IF you force the mag 100% upward eliminating all play between the catch and the notch in mag body. Otherwise, there is a slight gap between the round and ejector, enough to see light, when the mag is resting in a natural downward direction. I have no idea why such contact or lack of it would affect the "staging" of the top round forward of the mag as it waits its turn for the chamber but I'm all ears. Pics attached.

[​IMG][​IMG]

simonp likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted