Guncrafter A day at Guncrafter

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by monadh, Nov 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    I posted this on another forum, but it bears repeating.

Last week I took my wife to visit her family in Tulsa, and against my 15 year old daughter’s wishes, I forced her to come along. I have learned to never do things that don't come with an upside, and there was a huge upside to coming to Tulsa: Guncrafter is ~3 hours away. Before I bought the tickets to Tulsa, I sent an e-mail to Derek and asked if it would be OK to visit GI. He said “Come on!”

On Thursday my daughter and I made the drive over. If you have never been to Arkansas, you should know that there is arkansas (the Mississippi delta region which is earthly confirmation of the existence of Purgatory) and then there is ARKANSAS, which is a beautiful hilly and treed country (where GI lives). Driving through ARKANSAS, it was hard to not stop occasionally to take pics, but we were on a mission.

We got there and Derek showed us around the place and explained why GI does some of the things they do. Some of it I knew already, but a lot I did not. GI is a place that appeals to the engineer in me. I saw pistol kits that were in the process of being put together, which to me was cool. There were going to be some happy people soon.

Then we got to shoot.

But first, let me stop here and talk about Derek for a second. The man has earned my respect for his commitment to giving great pistols and service to his customers, and everyone has noted his responsiveness. By virtue of him letting us visit, he has gone well beyond what I could have reasonably asked. And while Mary has shot some, she was afraid she would embarrass herself when she got her chance to pull a trigger. Derek has some serious skill as an instructor, and he gave her some pointers before, during and after shooting the pistols. She was made to feel at ease, and Mary came away saying Derek would be a great shooting coach.

We got to shoot two Hellcat x2 pistols, one with an RMR and the other standard. The last pistol we shot was the big .50 with a silencer.

I have been waiting for someone to post a review of their Hellcat x2, but none of you did (that I saw, anyway). I am here to tell you that I no longer need to wait for someone to post, I can say first hand that this is a shooting pistol. I had always questioned the design of the slide, but the lesser reciprocating mass was noticeable. This is a flat shooting work of art. It has the typical GI trigger quality, and it was easy to hit the steel plates. Beyond that, the Commander size Hellcat x2 resolves every reservation I have by pairing a 9mm 1911 style pistol and its ergonomics with greater capacity. I had been very interested in a Frag Commander, but that has changed. I can get the Frag pattern on the Hellcat x2.

The most fun part was shooting the .50 GI, and my daughter loved the heck out of it. With Derek’s instructional skills, she pounded the steel with it. I enjoyed shooting it as well, but I should state the pistol we shot had a LOT of rounds through it and was as smooth as glass.

This was a great day with my daughter, and I appreciate Derek and Guncrafter for helping to make it happen.

===============================
    EDITED TO ADD: One of the most interesting results of the day is that my daughter said she finally gets me.

"I've always accepted your interest in 1911s, 'Oh, that just dad's thing', but since I met Derek, I now know there's others like you."

So, I've got that going for me, which is nice.
    ===============================

Now for the Hellcat x2 Commander, dressed up something like this would be nice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Awesome you got to do that with your daughter. I have been to Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, and Guncrafter. All GREAT folks. My visit to GI still makes me giggle. In a good way.

Don't get me wrong, great memories from WC and NC as well.

Ethanol Red and monadh like this.

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Very Cool, and while I'd be excited to visit the facility, it sounds like your bonding with your daughter was super profitable. Can't ask for better than that..

monadh likes this.
  4. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Cudos all around to you, your daughter and if course Derek and the guys at GI.
    Thanks for the post about a great trip.

monadh likes this.
  5. monadh

May 8, 2012
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Can't beat those grins . . . .

gps man, Fred_G, WHEELS and 1 other person like this.
  7. A45GUNNER

A45GUNNER Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Great bonding time! Good for you both!

monadh likes this.
  8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    BTW, a word of advice . . .

Well, really 1,000 of them if "a picture . . . . "

raising-daughters.gif

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    acesover, gps man, tac45 and 6 others like this.
  9. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Thanks for posting here, some of us haven’t joined the other one yet. Sounds like it was well worth the trip! I’m contemplating an x2 or NH DS. If I could handle them I’d know for sure.

10. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Thank you so much for the awesome write up! We really enjoyed having you guys here.

I am honored to be a part of your daughter coming to terms with your addiction :)

And thank you for the kind words about GI and myself. My wife and daughter both shoot competitively, so I have a lot of practice helping young ladies shoot better.

And great pictures!

If you ever need anything, you know what to do.

11. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    That’s a fantastic story. It’s so hard for those young’uns to “get” us sometimes. You were really smart to do this and It’s great it worked out so well. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Owens likes this.
  12. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Thanks again, Derek! I am following through with my plan and I will be in touch!

DPGI likes this.
  13. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Especially if they shoot.

xTeleDude, ZoidMeister and WHEELS like this.
  14. xTeleDude

xTeleDude Active Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I wanted to let you know I've been considering a Hellcat since they were first offered for sale.. This thread pushed me over the edge, besides their already excellent reputation the hospitality show to you and your daughter really impressed me. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

DPGI and monadh like this.
  15. monadh

May 8, 2012
    xTD,

I e-mailed back and forth with Derek at GI for months before I bought mine. I wanted to make sure that any GI pistol I bought was backed up by customer service, and that was due to a hard lesson I learned when I scrimped and saved to buy a LaRue OBR 556. It was (and still is) the worst single purchase of any kind I have ever made. The rifle was poorly made and LaRue did not back their rifle as they should have. I learned that I was wrong to have believed the Larueminati, and I sold it at a loss.

I have read about Guncrafter for years, and while I have wanted one pretty much since I saw them on the 1911 Forum, all the praise from owners reminded me of the Larueminati. What changed my mind were the e-mail conversations with Derek, so that when I saw a Hellcat being sold on this site, I cleared out a couple of my 1911s to make room for it. Damn, it was beautiful, and I have had no regrets about selling anything to get it.

Derek could not have been more hospitable to my daughter and I, and to her, the trip to GI was the highlight of our trip, period. Me too, to be honest.

Point to remember if anyone else goes to GI. Eureka Springs is not far away, and Derek recommended a BBQ place there as being good. It seriously was. I think it was called the Rockin' Pig Saloon. Worth it as well.

If you get a GI, I believe you will really like it. You will of course have to post pics, because pics or it ain't true.

DPGI likes this.
  16. xTeleDude

xTeleDude Active Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Already ordered an in-stock X2 Government from Tyler. Should be here early next week. I bought a used but seriously like new Wilson CQB from Tyler earlier in the year and couldn't ask for better service. Between Tyler & Derek I'm very confident I'll be happy.. I'm already looking at the CCO version lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DPGI likes this.
  17. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    LOL, Derek sent us to the Rockin' Pig as well. And yes, it was great!

DPGI and monadh like this.
  18. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Posted on ANOTHER forum first ? :eek::bang::rage::android:

19. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Great thread. Love the GI pistols and the business method they employ. Others could learn a lot.

DPGI, monadh and xTeleDude like this.
  20. farmer

farmer Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Just came across this. I have daughters also. And they shoot. My GI Hellcat is by far my favorite. Everything about it, including my experience with Guncrafter and Derek have created a very positive feeling towards the company and the gun. That's becoming more rare in today's world and it deserves to be mentioned.

Pete

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted