1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry and shoot both 9mm and 45ACP pretty reguarly. I either have a SIG in 9mm on me or a 1911 in 45. I spend too much time thinking and training to determine which of my guns I like to carry best and am the best with, but what I take less time on is the caliber switch.

I trust them both so effectiveness is not the question here.

What I wanted your thoughts on is on actually keeping to one caliber, no matter which you like best, for your carry weapons?

If one is not recoil sensitive and competent with any potential caliber is there an argument to be made for sticking with a singular defensive caliber for carry.

This does not mean that one would need to sell everything else we enjoy taking to the range.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I think it is better to stick to one platform. caliber should not matter . but keeping as much as possible the same makes good sense . Same platform--you know the controls well enough to us e the gun in low light. Caliber should be the same as well IMHO practice and carry the same .

I like 9mm for carry

I tend to shoot 9mm better these days

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m a 45 fan and actually shoot my 45’s better than my 9mm’s, but in my case, it’s because of the platform not the caliber. I shoot a 1911 better than other platforms, so I guess I need to revisit a 9mm 1911.
I too tend to shoot my 1911’s better on average and out to range better. Not that I shoot my 9mm’s all that much worse but as distance increases so do my groups more so with my 9’s. Now, that may well be the gun, in fact I think it is.

However, I tried yesterday to shoot my P320 M17 as well as I shoot either my P320 X-Carry or my VBob and it just did not happen and I really cannot figure out why. The longer barrel should help me but it actually detracts from my shooting. Could be the trigger too. The trigger on the VBob and my X-Carry is just better.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I guess I probably don't follow the rules. I carry and shoot 9MM most of the time. I love shooting the 1911's (both 9MM) but carry a Sig P365 most of the time. I'm in my 70's so probably don't shoot either as well as most of you but feel I'm certainly adequate with both types.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,234 Posts
I prefer to carry anything in .45ACP over smaller calibers, however, concealment restraints often make it necessary for me to carry something smaller in 9mm or .38spl.

There was a time that I went along with the "they're all the same thanks to modern projectiles" mentality and carried 9mms almost all the time, including a S&W 9mm 1911 Pro Series on duty. I shot that gun really well, so well, in fact, that I came in sixth at a LE charity match against 49 other cops including guys from FBI SWAT, Boston SWAT, Massachusetts BOP, Massachusetts State Police, and a bunch of other big departments from down that way. Not bad for a rural small town cop/shellfish warden/harbormaster/constable/ACO/part time deputy.

They held another charity match the following year and, again, I made the several hundred mile trek south with the same gun, same gear, and a year's worth of practice and matches under my gun belt. I had high hopes of getting into the top five, maybe even the top three. However, this time instead of cardboard targets and IDPA style scoring it was all steel targets and we were scored on hits and knockdowns. I shot well, I was fast, I was accurate, and I was screwed because I was shooting a 9mm. I think I came in 23rd (IIRC) and it was because those puny 115gr pills didn't pack enough kinetic energy to knock down the steel poppers and targets. The guys with 45s were knocking them down with one shot where you'd have to hit a popper with 3-4 successive shots with those little 115gr 9mm pills to get it moving and knock it over. I was pissed and shocked, not at my performance but at that of the caliber,
I'd just spent an entire day watching .45s easily knocking down targets that 9mms could barely budge.

I had a six hour drive home to think about what that meant in terms of self defense and came to the decision that if it takes a 9mm 3-4 rounds do to what a .45 can in one with both using ball ammo, I was trusting the wrong caliber. And, it wouldn't matter if you used superior projectiles because even if you used bullets of the same design/construction, the additional size and mass of the 230gr .45 is always going to hit harder than the 9mm with it's smaller, lighter bullets, and, like it or not it, that size and weight advantage is one that the 9mm will ever be able to beat.

Some might see my experience and reasoning as silly or unscientific or emotional, and it may be all of those things but I don't care. The bottom line is that the 9mm failed me when energy delivered on impact made the difference. I have carried .45s as my primary defensive handgun caliber ever since.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
Lately I've been sticking to 9mm for carry . Most of my life I was a 45 acp proponent . I'm still not beyond carrying 45 . I started shooting a lot of 9mm because I started getting real good case prices on ammo . While practicing I noticed how much quicker and accurate follow up shots are . Plus most 9mm guns are lighter and hold more ammo . Since the Texas church shooting I got to thinking longer range accuracy . So yesterday I shot my Sig P226 at 20 yds . Put 5 right through head of silhouette target . It's winter here , heavy clothes hide anything . So that's my carry piece now . Until that shooting I hadn't worried about a long shot and carried a slightly smaller framed weapon . I've had that Sig almost 30 yrs. and shooting it is second nature to me . Pick the gun and caliber you have the ultimate confidence in , and practice with what you carry .

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I carry 9 and 38 Spl most often. I find I am having off and on wrist problems so the lighter calibers are more friendly in that regard. I have been playing with the 38 Super. Thursday I shot some hot Atlanta Arms ammo for the first time. 125 grains at 1380 Fps. That stuff is serious, but it is loaded with the hap which is not a self defense round. This caliber shows great promise as the target stuff is soft as can be, and the hot stuff is very capable. I have a NH Enforcer and a DW C-bob in the caliber. My backyard range was under water all summer so it has slowed my break in and evaluation of both, but with 300 or so through each they have performed splendidly thus far. The hawk is tight, built by Brennan High.

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
343 Posts
Old Sea Dragon,
I use a DW Guardian in 38S, I loaded 0.357 XTP's along with 0.356 HAP & 0.355 XTP's, my chamber accepts the 0.357 same as I load for my revolvers which I'll continue using. I chrono'd 1399 fps with 7.5 gr PowerPistol .. they are snappy.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
@WC145- I know, right? Don’t go bringing logic into this! Or emotional preferences.

I’ve always been a .45 guy.

Big slow heavy projectiles get it done.

In my heart I believe there is NO freaking way 9mm is as good as .45ACP

Just look at them side by side...

But. I shoot 9mm faster and better. As age takes its toll on my hands, 9mm is easier on them.

So. Some if the time I carry 9mm, and soon, .38 Super.

ALWAYS in a 1911.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Old Sea Dragon,
I use a DW Guardian in 38S, I loaded 0.357 XTP's along with 0.356 HAP & 0.355 XTP's, my chamber accepts the 0.357 same as I load for my revolvers which I'll continue using. I chrono'd 1399 fps with 7.5 gr PowerPistol .. they are snappy.
I bet they hammer steel as well as a 45.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is easy to end back up in a caliber discussion. Depending upon your views we tend to lean one way or the other.

For me, I much prefer reloading 45ACP. So I shoot a lot of it and reload a lot of it.

9mm is cheap to obtain now and I tend to just buy 1000 at a time as the components to reload that many rounds would be only pennies less.

My emotion leads me to the 45 ACP, but my practical side leads me to the 9mm. And, here too we can get into a capacity debate as well.

Suffice it to say that there are many factors that lead us to our individual decisions around caliber and carry decisions. I suspect that if I spend more time with my 9’s I would probably be as good with them as I am with my 45’s. Thus, for all practical purposes there is a value both in training cost and capacity to stick with 9’s and it is a round that as we grow older it is easier on us physically.

Being that 1911’s are now very reliable in 9mm there is even less of a reason, beyond capacity, to not pic a 1911 if that is what you want to carry regardless of caliber.

I doubt any of us will ever be without 1911 variants.

However....

Then we do get into a debate around shootability and capacity. Why would one choose a 1911 in 9mm today (standard single stack config) over something like an STI 2011 or a EDC X9? Same could be said for my SIG Legion P229 SAO which is currently on my hip.

Thus, the discussion comes full circle to some extent as we can now get high capacity versions of our beloved 1911 (or there abouts) - thus training with one caliber becomes ever more viable.

·
just one more
656 Posts
I'm a big fan of standardizing, at least in theory, but it's also really hard to do in real life. I like having and shooting a variety of guns. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive and feel competent with several different set ups from j frame, micro compacts all the way to full size guns like Gov 1911s. Still my carry gun goes with me to the range every trip and I have stopped rotating carry guns, except when I "need" a pocket pistol, or ankle rig based on dress etc. I enjoy shooting everything and want to maintain some level of competency across the board, but my carry rig is something I want to feel like an extension of my hand. Given my somewhat limit training schedule I'm best off focusing on a single gun if I want to achieve this.

Honestly it's this thought process that has me re-examining my safe contents and looking to trim down as well.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I only shoot and carry serious defensive caliber handguns, which is nothing w/ a "9" in the name.

·
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today
3,280 Posts
I think I might have 2 guns in the same caliber (9mm). Oh, I do have 3 10mms! And a 40, and 2 45 Colt, and a 380.

I usually carry one of the 10mm. Weird, I don't even have 45 acp. Time to shop!

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Variety is the spice of life and I love shooting any handgun as long as it is reliable and no uglier than a Glock. I did however let go of my SP101, in .327 recently, so that is one less caliber to worry about. Is that progress? I would never be able to pick one favorite to limit myself to, as I have too many favorites, in all the common calibers

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
45 & 9 about equal depending on a lot of things. But if there is an intimate threat in the near future, 44mag.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Remember, this was not about caliber. Its really about carry proficiency. We all have a lot of different calibers we love (I said that in the first post - bunch of ADHD....)

The thought here is about being more highly proficient by sticking to one caliber for carry and train with defensively.

No matter what you shoot at the range.

I would think more here than most, but maybe not, actually do some level of defensive training and not just paper punching.

Reload drills and longer range shooting I am better with my 1911's.

Double tap to the chest and one to the head from rest, safety engaged, I am better with my 9mm's typically.

There are a lot of factors to be taken into account when it comes to proficiency that as I train more I realized I was poor at. Like the differences noted above.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts