A different type of build.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Slapshot, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    So many of the builds on this forum are near perfection from incredibly talented Gunsmiths. I thought you all might enjoy a build that's the complete opposite! I'm not a Gunsmith and I'm not a machinist but I've got guns, I've got machines, and I use to live next door to the Smiths'. I've got a Norinco that I bought specifically to play around with some of the things I see on this forum and others. It was cheap but it shot good but I'm totally willing to take the chance that I'll ruin it in the process. I was going to document it as I went along and then do a post all at once but that changed once I started making mistakes. It dawned on me that there's probably a lot of people that are like me who want to try but are reluctant that I could help them decide which way to go. Instead of trying to hide the mistakes I've made I'm going to shine a light on them so others can hopefully learn the bad as well as the good. I'm going to do this as I go along so that I can post what I'm thinking during the process. Feel free to post comments you won't hurt my feelings.
    The Norc:
    IMG_2299.jpg
    The Mill:
    MillDrill.jpg
    The Lathe:
    lathe.jpg
    The first thing I did and the only thing I didn't screw up so far was to mill out the old rear sight.
    1 sight removal.jpg
    Then we did some ball cuts and beveled the slide.
    2 ball cut.jpg

4 slide bevel.jpg
    This is where I started making rookie mistakes. I only looked at one side and the original ball cut looked pretty good. I went ahead and cut both sides the same length and was disappointed when the opposite side was way off. I exaggerated this picture a bit to give you an idea of what it looked like. I forgot to snap an actual pic when it happened. You can also see mistake #2 in this pic where I forgot to lock the spindle and "Y" axis when I beveled the slide and the cutter dug in. I cleaned it up a little bit by making the bevel bigger than I wanted it but I'm going to have to live with what's there I think.
    7 bad ball cut.jpg
    I was able to file the dust cover and get the lines pretty close.
    6 dust cover.jpg
    8 BALL CUT FIX.jpg
    I also had a lot of chatter in my cuts that were a lot harder to remove than I thought they would be. I learned that a file can save you a lot of hand work with the sand paper. I'm going to have to adjust the gibs on my mill and see if I can tighten things up a little.

I was originally going to flat top the slide but I think I'm going to change my mind and leave it as is. I think I may try a "French Border" after I tighten up the mill a bit.

What I have found out is that this requires a lot of money, time, patience, and experience. I'm enjoying myself regardless of the final product and I'm learning a lot about machining and set-up. It's hockey season so time is limited but if there's interest in the thread I'll continue to post as I continue my journey.

hks1911, Steve Owens, Fred_G and 13 others like this.
  2. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Sounds like a fun documentary. In for updates.

Steve Owens and Slapshot like this.

3. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Following along. You got the tools fer sure...

"Feel free to post comments you won't hurt my feelings."
    you need to add... "just don't bad mouth Cleveland" ;)

4. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    I've been selling cutting tools for 40+ years and I have an entire warehouse full of carbide cutting tools. I tell machinist all day every day how to do their jobs and why so it's not like I don't know anything about machining but actually doing it is different. I've also been from Cleveland for 55 years and I've heard them all.
    index.jpg

simonp, william adams and SparkyAZ like this.
  5. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Subscribed
    This will be a truly enjoyable thread.
    Thank you for posting.

6. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Looking good!
    I think @tac45 aka TTT gunsmithing tools and equipment may have some things you will be needing for this build.

Steve Owens, tac45 and Slapshot like this.
  7. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    In for the Cleveland jokes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Owens, WHEELS and Slapshot like this.
  8. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    Looks to be a great thread

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

9. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Thank you so much @Capthobo , after reviewing @Slapshots equipment and execution thus far , I find he would greatly benefit
    From an association with the TTT gunsmithing academy. !
    Slap , our new campus will provide you skills to produce the finest work .

698407CE-981E-4488-82DD-AF365532B52F.jpeg
    You can forget that nasty equipment you have, the latest in percussion gunsmithing Tools will Be provided ( small upcharge)
    8EB8C885-59E5-4114-AB10-070ABD470858.jpeg 1D0F5945-BCDA-42FC-8576-4C4EED5F7E57.jpeg ED6079F6-45F3-46FA-9F8B-659FB70CE152.jpeg
    First class transportation provided (another small upcharge)
    2A9F3B7F-4F1C-492D-9836-77AFE9CC47F7.jpeg
    Please contact TTT thru our director of transportation and Chief pilot @Kip
    Kippy has been certified by
    30EA0502-B605-41C7-BCF1-9DF194222826.jpeg
    Send cash

10. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Why don't the girls play hide and seek in Cleveland?
    No one would come looking for them...

Another career day in a local Cleveland Elementary School. Little Johnny is the last to present and says that his Dad is a dancer in a gay bar. "He takes off his clothes for men and if they pay him enough he will go out to the alley for further satisfaction."
    Johnny's teacher is shocked and appalled. She sends the rest of the class out for an early recess then sits Johnny down and asks him if this is really the truth, "this is what your father does for a living?"
    Johnny responds, "No, but I was too embarrassed to admit that my dad plays for the Cleveland Browns...:D

11. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Was it Cleveland or Cincinatti where the river used to catch fire in the 60s and 70s?

12. EvolutionArmory

EvolutionArmory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Don’t let your mistakes get you down. When I took my machining test to work at CCS I forgot to subtract half the diameter of my edge finder when I cut in a Novak dovetail. I was super excited and just wasn’t thinking. The rear of the dovetail hung over the slide by .100 because of it. The test had us do machining processes on 2 slides. I didn’t mess up the second one and never made that mistake again.

The first Hi Power cut I ever made was done on a scrap slide on a hobby mill. The vise wasnt up to the task and the tool pulled in the slide and ruined it.

Simple mistakes are easy to make and the wrong equipment for the job will get you every time. Making those mistakes are part of learning.

13. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    fc73103f6103e5f551ee7165be4a66af.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  14. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Thank EA - no worries there. I'm under no illusions of ever becoming a gunsmith and I would never work on anything but my own guns. I really enjoy "tinkering" and learning new things and this fits the bill right now.

15. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    I had a little time last night so I broke out the Dremel tool :interesting:. The ejection port was already lowered so I flared it and added a little live round relief. Still needs a little clean up but not too bad.
    5 flare EP.jpg

Steve Owens, Mike Meints and SparkyAZ like this.
  16. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    When I went to tighten up the gibs on the mill I was cranking the table in "X" and adjusting the screw at the same time to get a feel for the clearance. All of a sudden the table got tight and I thought I may have tightened the gib screw too much so I backed it off and tried again but the table was still really tight. Then I realized the ball mill I had in the spindle was digging into the vise! I really felt stupid and wasn't planning on adding this to the post but since this is a post about rookie mistakes I felt it only fair to include it. Enjoy!
    IMG_2573.jpg

17. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    You haven’t messed up until you start a CNC program with the tool on the wrong side of the work piece. That tool is going to go through the work piece to get to its start point, break your tool, work piece and throw your machine out of alignment.

18. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    And if you want to cut in that Colt style live round relief better, it’s a real simple machine set up with a 1/2 end mill.

19. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    So you're saying cut the live round relief instead of the vise?? I'll give that a go.

20. EvolutionArmory

Sep 9, 2011
    Yes. Don’t cut your vise. :)

Greg45acp and Steve Owens like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted