1911 Firearm Addicts banner

281 - 300 of 300 Posts

·
1911 lover
870 Posts
Ok full disclosure here. When I saw a picture of this beast I thought it was some kind of autorotating airplane. After searching the net for a while I discovered that it is actually a helicopter. Still it’s weird enough that I thought some of you might like to see it.
While researching I also found this video. Some of the aircraft seem strangely familiar....

·
So soon old, so late smart...
746 Posts
Learned that the aircraft was made of balsa wood and spruce well after war planes switched to metal.
Much of the wood for the Mosquito came from Wisconsin. We've got Kermit Weeks' Mosquito sitting in the EAA museum here in Oshkosh, and there's some nice signage telling the story.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
My childhood next door neighbor and I had a lot of fun playing with his toy airplanes when we were growing up in the 50's. I sent him some of the P-38 and other warbird pics from this thread and he sent me a couple from the model planes he still has saved from all those years ago, and stored in a closet.

Obviously the props on the P-38 and Stuka in the first pic took a beating over the years. The second pic is a control line P-38 with two .049 engines. He never actually flew it but we had lots of fun starting up the engines in his back yard.

upload_2020-10-5_22-43-19.png

upload_2020-10-5_22-47-22.png

·
Registered
16 Posts
My childhood next door neighbor and I had a lot of fun playing with his toy airplanes when we were growing up in the 50's. I sent him some of the P-38 and other warbird pics from this thread and he sent me a couple from the model planes he still has saved from all those years ago, and stored in a closet.

Obviously the props on the P-38 and Stuka in the first pic took a beating over the years. The second pic is a control line P-38 with two .049 engines. He never actually flew it but we had lots of fun starting up the engines in his back yard.

View attachment 611849

View attachment 611865
I had the late-1960s version of the u-control P-38. Much like this one, only chromed plastic. I got it for Christmas when I was about 8. I remember my big brother getting to fly it first, and crashing it before I got my turn!

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I had the late-1960s version of the u-control P-38. Much like this one, only chromed plastic. I got it for Christmas when I was about 8. I remember my big brother getting to fly it first, and crashing it before I got my turn!
I assume you've forgiven him by now! I found an interesting link on a chromed plastic P-38 made by Testors. Apparently it the right engine was a dummy, but could be replaced by a second .049 if you were an "experienced flyer." Here's a link to the Cox Engine forum thread, showing the manual for the model and a number of pictures. (<Link) Cool stuff!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I assume you've forgiven him by now! I found an interesting link on a chromed plastic P-38 made by Testors. Apparently it the right engine was a dummy, but could be replaced by a second .049 if you were an "experienced flyer." Here's a link to the Cox Engine forum thread, showing the manual for the model and a number of pictures. (<Link) Cool stuff!

Nope, grudges run deep. Someday he'll read this post and realize how he did me wrong....

That's the guy! Now I have something else to fritter away my limited funds on...

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Got very sun-burnt "helping" her polish her T-34 as a kid a couple of times in the 70s

·
Registered
593 Posts
Bob Hoover.
Chuck Yeager and others had called him "the greatest pilot he'd ever seen"

281 - 300 of 300 Posts