A Gun Theft Story

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaydoc, Dec 13, 2018.

1. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    An acquaintance of mine told me this story today. His house was broken into and many of his long guns were stolen. The thief took his nicer shotguns-Brownings and Bennellis and any rifle with a nice scope. He left the less expensive guns like the Mossburgs. A week later, the thief was caught running a red light in a city 130 miles away from here. All of the guns were in the car. It was determined that he was a previous felon and so the FBI and the ATF got involved.

My friend stated that before they would return his guns, every gun purchase was investigated. Fortunately he had all of his sales records. They checked to make sure he didn't receive any insurance money- he had not reported it to his insurance. The ATF then did a complete background check on him, the guns' owner, before they would let him have them back. It took 2 years and 4 months to get his property returned.
    Why would someone need a background check to receive his own guns back? He is not the criminal here.

2. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Because it is the Goobermint, and they know best! Subjects of the gov't don't need no guns!

xerts1191 and Fred_G like this.

3. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    When you consign a gun for sale , and it doesn't sell , why do you need a background check to get your own gun back ?

4. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Least there is a bright side.

Back in the late 80's I had a pistol stolen in a break-in. The gun was used in a murder a couple months later. I've never gotten my gun back.

xerts1191 and wcanterbury like this.
  5. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Would you want it back?
    Self defense, sure! But that would be different:(

wcanterbury likes this.
  6. JandLCustoms

JandLCustoms I have many leather bound books Supporting Addict

May 9, 2018
    haha for me it would depend on the gun! You can keep the glock but give me my wilson back hahah

wcanterbury and Babboonbobo like this.
  7. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
  8. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Wow what BS! Wonder how that turned out since that article is 6 years old

9. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Unintended Consequences.

10. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    According to the last article linked, the family settled with the government in 2015. Even though the family was exonerated of all criminal charges, the government kept ~1,200 firearms and more than 4,500 "ammunition magazines", plus more than $11,000 of the Reese's money and other property.

The government kindly let the Reese's keep their homestead, vehicles and empty gun safes. Mighty nice of them considering the Reese's had done nothing wrong.

11. tarosean

Apr 7, 2013
    At one point I did want it back. although I doubt I would have kept it. Just a distant memory now.

12. tarosean

Apr 7, 2013
  13. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    Yes, but they weren't convicted on any criminal charges related to the arrest. They were convicted on unrelated procedural grounds - something akin to lying to the FBI. Where have we heard that before?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted