1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed one of my shelves were not level in the back, I figured out the problem, one of these clips were compressed too much and popped out. Yes it was loaded with ammo but just to be sure it doesn’t happen again im sticking a nail or something in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Crap there’s another one!!!

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Deo Volente
7,013 Posts
You may need to install another rail or two to more evenly distribute the weight. I believe that Knape & Vogt the manufacturers of these clips & rails also make heavier duty hardware. https://www.knapeandvogt.com/product-page/shelving

You could also store your ammo in another place.

Good luck.

Reactions: boatdoc

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, cotter pins for now, the 2nd clip was under my gun shelf

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may need to install another rail or two to more evenly distribute the weight. I believe that Knape & Vogt the manufacturers of these clips & rails also make heavier duty hardware. https://www.knapeandvogt.com/product-page/shelving

You could also store your ammo in another place.

Good luck.
Thanks, this is turning into a nightmare! Now I see another shelf is sagging in the middle! Oh well, another project!!!!

·
Deo Volente
7,013 Posts
Uh-oh, success breeds another problem and another project! :rolleyes: Sounds like a classic case of affluenza! :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

·
Deo Volente
7,013 Posts
Reactions: RazorBurn

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG my wife said MAYBE I HAVE TOOOOO MUCH AMMO AND GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Dehumidifier packs? I use Drierite desiccant. When it changes from blue to pink, you throw it in the oven at 150 F and it recharges and turns blue again so you can use it over. Wear rubber gloves when handling! https://secure.drierite.com/catalog3/default_home.cfm
I'm going to check that out! Nice looking set up
I dont think thats possible. Just tell her the next time you buy a gun it's for 'her' lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,590 Posts
You might want to put a couple support poles in there, build from the base up with a good support on the bottom foot. A couple smaller ones in the rear and one in the center.
Best wishes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My wife just came home and saw a . box from fedex on the counter. .."did you get MORE ammo?".....she asks me. No..I said. It's from your son. ( I had already taken the other box, before she saw it, down to my man cave)

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
5,790 Posts
You should unload anything you have in 38 super, I hear that's a lousy caliber ;)

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,939 Posts
KV shelf hardware, such as yours, is prone to the rest collapsing when overloaded. I would recommend a tapered wood wedge to hold the rest at its original shape, but be warned; that amount of weight is capable of pulling the standard loose causing a much bigger problem.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dehumidifier packs? I use Drierite desiccant. When it changes from blue to pink, you throw it in the oven at 150 F and it recharges and turns blue again so you can use it over. Wear rubber gloves when handling! https://secure.drierite.com/catalog3/default_home.cfm
That is an option, Thanks, I do have a 100 quart cooler in my attic that I use to use as a humidor. I could bring it down to the garage but finding a spot for it would be a real trick.

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You might want to put a couple support poles in there, build from the base up with a good support on the bottom foot. A couple smaller ones in the rear and one in the center.
Best wishes.
Thanks Joni, I assume this will be one of my next projects. I don't like these clips or shelves. I do have access to a sheet metal shop that does custom work & I built everything else in my shop out of wood so I can already see this is going to get blown way out of proportion!

Reactions: Colorado Sonny
1 - 20 of 24 Posts