1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ADDICTS!!! I could use your help. A friend of mine has an early 1911 National Match. I ran the serial number and came up with a manufacture date of 1958, this is a second year National Match pistol. It's a very strong 95% condition, in the factory box with paperwork. The bluing on it is all original and in beautiful condition, and the slide to frame fit seems right on par with some of today's semi-custom builds. Trigger is better than some semi-customs made today.

He wants $2600 for it, down from $3500 because we've got history. I thought $3500 might be high but, I don't know my 1911's too well. But I know this guy, and at $2600, he's probably making anywhere from $700 to a $1000. I don't mind anyone making a profit, but I'm a consumer and need to get the best price.

Here's where I could use a little friendly advice. Is it worth anywhere near $3500? Assuming I pay the $2600. What could I expect to get if I wanted to flip it? What's a fair asking price? Is it worth $2600, or should I try to bring him down?

Any information would be really helpful, and much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm not the guy to ask $2600 sounded high to me. That said I know some colts go for far more than I expected.
Someone that knows colts will be along sooner or later.
Thanks, I wasn't sure the $2600 was right either. But when someone offers me a gun for $900 less than their original asking price, I started to think this might be something I could make a few bucks on if I ever felt like selling it or needed some cash.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With today’s soft market, buying to flip isn’t something I would do. Unless you find a buyer with an emotional attachment, selling at 2600+ would be a hard sell.
That's not what I was hoping for, but an honest opinion is what I need. I might just have to let this one go...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Honestly, in today’s market, you would want to have that pretty bad to pay 2600 for it. Maybe for a niche in a collection but if you are looking to shoot the 1911, 2600 would get you a nice Wilson, Brown or a couple of quality colts and plenty of ammo.
You’ll find some of the best deals on the planet right here!
Cousin vinny

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I've got several of that vintage, and paid between $700 - 1400 for 'em, with the exception of a Year One production model that was in absolutely pristine, unfired condition - gave $1800 for it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do I close this thread? With the feedback I've received, I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass on this pistol. Thanks for the help guys. You've potentially saved me quite a bit of cash!

·
NRA Endowment member
3,267 Posts
No need to close the thread. Let it ride for others to respond for more valuable info and to see the responses and learn from in search mode. This not only helps you save but, other Addicts as well.
You may want to change the title to say Vintage Colt National Match valuation to help others that may be searching for same info.
Gday mate!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts