A little rest?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Colorado Sonny, Sep 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    It seems like every time I turn around there is more to do at work. Memorial day there were problems to take care of at a wastewater plant. I had planned to take four days off at Fourth of July and ended up having to do mornings and evenings so that pretty much shot that vacation. I had planned to take four days off here on Labor Day, but still had to work a half day on Friday. Having things to take care of six days a week, I was just worn out and was getting a bad attitude.

I have been able to sleep in for Four Days in a row, 0800. And been away from responsibility for three days and I am feeling a bit more energetic today. I even skipped a good friends annual pig roast at his cabin in the high country just because I felt like I needed to get away from any and all responsibility.

I really can't remember how long it has been since I had a full week off.

Has anyone else been there, done that, or is it just me? :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    jrj, mikegalway, Glock2740 and 4 others like this.
  2. elpinkgun

elpinkgun Just say "NO"..... I can't, I'm ADDICTED Supporting Addict

Aug 2, 2014
    Right there with ya!!!!

Kip likes this.

3. barmandr

barmandr SHEEPLE HERDER Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    Nope...can't say I've ever skipped a pig roast. :)

BBP, Kip, Bro. Pappaw and 3 others like this.
  4. PaulM

PaulM Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2016
    That's what it's about, being able to relax and do what you want to do on a holiday weekend. Hopefully the rest of the year is more kind to you around the holidays.

For me, I have to remind myself to not try and do too much around the holidays. For instance, I always decide a holiday weekend is a good time to take on a project around the house. Or at least start one!

Kip and wcanterbury like this.
  5. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    I'm with you! Work and life are way too busy, and many of us don't take enough time out just for ourselves.

6. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Right there with you brother.

7. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Staying busy, sure beats the alternative. Granted we all need a little R&R, but there is nothing wrong with a full plate...

And who passes up a Pig Roast???

8. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    I just didn't feel like packing up my stuff for an overnight stay in case I indulged in adult beverages. Plus the road has a certain amount of pucker factor to it, especially when you add in the idiots who drive that road on a long weekend! :eek::D

Bro. Pappaw, Kip and 41 Charlie like this.
  9. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jun 25, 2014
    Tell me about it. I get called on weekends and on vacation. Apparently, the office cannot run when I'm gone. So why, I wonder, do I get paid like I'm expendable?

Bro. Pappaw, Kip and wcanterbury like this.
  10. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    My thoughts exactly, the boss finally caved in last year with a 3% raise. When I told him I needed a raise, his comment was, "Everyone is saying they need a raise". The office manager and I are the only non-engineers, But I put together a spread sheet in excel showing him that prices had risen by 24% (Yes, I did send him a link for my source) and I had not received any kind of cost of living adjustment in seven years, BUT the cost of health insurance had kept rising in a big way! Thanks Barack but I can't pay for your votes anymore!

Very happy to have a job, but I also have every penny budgeted in an 18 month moving spread sheet and I have been squeezing those pennies in every way I can. We are getting down to soup bones here...Hope I can afford to pay for some veggies to go with dem bones so I can make some good stock.:rolleyes:

41 Charlie, Bro. Pappaw and Kip like this.
  11. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    Have you escaped from the Federal District Camp yet? :D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Kip likes this.
  12. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I just worked out of town for 51 days. Working 60+ hours a week. Came home for two of that. Left Thursday at noon and took four days off counting today. Get 3 weeks vacation a year and has been 4 years since I took a full week off. So yea I understand. Gets old at times but have been there when the work was slow so ain't bitching to much.

13. bamashooter

bamashooter Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Can't blame you at all. Sometimes most of us just need to zone out for a period of time. An escape the world deal. Temporary vegetative states can be a good thing.

14. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I recently went to a different company (a lot more money). My last company not only matched them but beat them by a good bit the money, but the new company encourages vacations so you don't get burnt out. My last one discouraged vacation time, unless they didn't have anywhere for you to go. Well, they've had plenty for me to do for the past 2 years, with no let up. :careful:
    I take vacation to do what I want to do, when I want to do it, i.e., hunting season, which I missed the past 2 of.:mad: :rage:
    F that :poop:!!!
    Long story short, I love my new company and plan on retiring here. And to boot, walked in the door with 2 weeks of vacation and after I've been here 4 years, I'll get a 3 week vacation and after 15, it's 4 weeks.:)

Winner winner, :chicken: dinner. :D

15. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    I just took two solid weeks of vacation. First time I have been off this long in 20 years. It was a true blessing and I enjoyed every drop of it.

16. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Did the same in the spring. It is hard to describe how relaxed one gets on day 6 when he realizes that tomorrow is not the last day...

Europeans are on to something with those 30 day vacations

17. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Jun 25, 2014
    No. The county commissioners are to have a meeting this week. If they vote yes on the position, I'll be back in PA by mid to late October. For now, I'm hoping, praying, and waiting. Keep me in your prayers and thoughts.

18. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Jun 25, 2014
    Hey, can you PM me the link to your info? It may come in handy here.

wcanterbury likes this.
  19. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
    I've been retired now for 5yrs, but I feel your pain. I was in sales 30+yrs (Engineered assembly systems) & was a slave to the auto industry. Basically 24/7/365 "On call" as the lead "make sh&t happen guy" if stuff went south. I LOVED what I did & made some $$$$ in boom times. In my later years, I had great people around me for support so I could do the odd I.T.O.T. (In Tuesday, Out Thursday). I love being retired now, but have some limited mobility issues, but all is good.
    I do miss many of my old customers though. Some very smart, classy people.
    George

20. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    The company my Shelia works for gives personal growth leave after a certain amount of seniority. It is a month in addition to your already earned vacation and holiday time. Lucky dog.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted