1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up this pistol about a year and a half ago, give or take. Its been a joy to carry and shoot!

In saying that I also do some cerakote application here and there for a local shop. The owner asks me often to do themed guns or "battle worn". I am not into the look, or even doing it... in fact I've been a hard no when asked. Since I've been stuck home for a month I got bored and told the shop I would play around on my own personal gun to see how hard it is and what I could do with a "worn finish".

Since I carry this gun often, finish isn't really a concern to me as its going to get worn anyway... Here is what I came up with.

Started out by blasting everything down (once it was totally clean of coarse). I am not set up to do park, so although some people do park and then coat, I personally do not do this. I sprayed a very light misted coat of Satin Aluminum as a base coat. On top of that I put a standard 1mil coat of "Distruptive Grey" over it... and finished with another light dusting of graphite black.between each coat of cerakote, I baked it at 300 for around 10 mins.

Once I got this out of the over, I took a cotton cloth and put some lacquer thinner on it and started to wipe off parts of the black cerakote. Once the wear points looked right, I went over it with 0000 steel wool until I either wore through to the disruptive grey to the satin aluminum base. Then a final wipe over with more thinner and then back into the over for a full cure. The illusion of worn blueing and metal is pretty close... in reality, there is no exposed metal.

Ive always found it silly to pay someone to make a nice new gun look like an old used gun... Thats just me. I do have to say this came out pretty cool... if its your thing. I called it "duty worn" as it reminds me of the finish an old beat up cop gun would have.... seen my uncles old carry guns and the finish is pretty close:)

Figured I would share as its something a little different and unique! At the same time, I kind of like it! Its definitely not for everyone.

Let me know what you think! Like it, love it, hate it... Honestly worst case it comes back to all black, which is typically what I prefer my guns to be.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
It looks great! By the time mine has that patina we'll be old friends!

Reactions: cundiff5535

·
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't understand why people will pay too have there firearm look used when all you have too due is carry and use it!
Im in full agreement, its why I have always told folks that I wouldnt do it:)

·
born in the wrong century
4,248 Posts
There is a segment of gun buyers that love the battle worn look.

I think you pulled it off nicely and are onto something that will appeal to that segment in a big way.

·
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a segment of gun buyers that love the battle worn look.

I think you pulled it off nicely and are onto something that will appeal to that segment in a big way.
I honestly just wanted to show that I could do it... and as mentioned I’ve been bored AF of late.

By no means do I plan on doing anymore... lol.

·
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks "Professionally" done...Great work
Good news is I am a “certified applicator” and I do provide the service out of a local shop, so... maybe I am a professional!! :)

Def not a full time thing and there are some guys who are really talented in terms of the crazy **** they do.

Thanks for the compliment man...

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I probably would not have it done either, but that looks so good you’ve put some doubt in my mind. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
I wouldn't pay to make my guns look "battle-worn", my guns are either carry guns that get used and abused (and I don't care how they look), or safe queens that barely even get sunlight.

However, as far as looks and the artistic side of things go, I think you nailed it! It looks really well done and without reading the description, I would have guessed that gun had seen a LOT of draws from a stiff and tight Kydex holster. I would consider maybe taking doing more since I've seen people pay top dollar for this kind of thing.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
That looks great!

Reactions: cundiff5535

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Picked up this pistol about a year and a half ago, give or take. Its been a joy to carry and shoot!

In saying that I also do some cerakote application here and there for a local shop. The owner asks me often to do themed guns or "battle worn". I am not into the look, or even doing it... in fact I've been a hard no when asked. Since I've been stuck home for a month I got bored and told the shop I would play around on my own personal gun to see how hard it is and what I could do with a "worn finish".

Since I carry this gun often, finish isn't really a concern to me as its going to get worn anyway... Here is what I came up with.

Started out by blasting everything down (once it was totally clean of coarse). I am not set up to do park, so although some people do park and then coat, I personally do not do this. I sprayed a very light misted coat of Satin Aluminum as a base coat. On top of that I put a standard 1mil coat of "Distruptive Grey" over it... and finished with another light dusting of graphite black.between each coat of cerakote, I baked it at 300 for around 10 mins.

Once I got this out of the over, I took a cotton cloth and put some lacquer thinner on it and started to wipe off parts of the black cerakote. Once the wear points looked right, I went over it with 0000 steel wool until I either wore through to the disruptive grey or the satin aluminum. final wipe over with more thinner and then back into the over for a full cure. The illusion of worn blueing and metal is pretty close... in reality, there is no exposed metal.

Ive always found it silly to pay someone to make a nice new gun look like an old used gun... Thats just me. I do have to say this came out pretty cool... if its your thing. I called it "duty worn" as it reminds me of the finish an old beat up cop gun would have.... seen my uncles old carry guns and the finish is pretty close:)

Figured I would share as its something a little different and unique! At the same time, I kind of like it! Its definitely not for everyone.

Let me know what you think! Like it, love it, hate it... Honestly worst case it comes back to all black, which is typically what I prefer my guns to be.

I think you did a great job with it.

I had WC do this treatment for me...
I currently have an X9S being done for Mrs. C. She wanted it done similar without the flag art. She picked the color off the Front strap of mine and asked WC to do the whole gun in that color. She doesn't want it to have the worn look, jhust the color. She called it Pewter to match her soaking tub faucet assembly... :rolleyes:

IMG_1957 (2).jpg
IMG_3704.jpg

·
Registered
789 Posts
That look is not for me. I can't understand anyone wanting a new pistol to look that way. I'm totally ok with a truly worn pistol as long as it took 20-30 years of use to get that way.
However for someone wanting a worn look without waiting years you totally nailed the look and procedure. IMO

As a side note I like the Dan Wesson model Wraith I think it's called but won't buy one because it's finish looks like what you just made.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,000 Posts
It looks great, I love it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts