A New Level of SUCK for waiting times...

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by John Ryder, Oct 11, 2011.

1. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    ...but this will be worth it.

I have been thinking what future 1911's I want for some time now. I kept telling myself I wouldn't buy anymore but keep doing so, which I don't understand at times. Given my rocky past with select makers and issues out of the box, I have lost confidence in most shops. I don't want to get burned anymore and came to the conclusion that "Full-House" builds are the only way for me to go. I think you get attention to detail that cannot be matched, and in some cases, the prices aren't too different.

I thought all my choices over and decided on one builder. I kick myself because I could have bypassed all the BS years ago and would have been that much higher on his list. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the wait, but the good thing is I have 4+ years to raise the funds.

My builder: John Harrison

The price will suck but the way I look at it is if I stop buying "semi-customs" that are close to what I want, I can get what I want.

To paint a rough picture here are my specs for now. This will be one bad MoFo.

Machine slide, supply & install Heinie front & rear sight in Tritium Straight-8
    Modify ejection port (that is otherwise correct) for live round clearance, recommended for Commanders
    and shorter pistols using extended ejectors
    Lower and flute ejection port
    Machine front cocking serrations, Colt or Springfield original style
    Machine bevel on lower edge of slide
    Weld and remachine loose slide and frame to fit

Supply & fit Kart 5" .45ACP standard match barrel, bushing, link & pin. Ream & polish chamber, profile &
    polish feed ramp. Check & correct link down timing. Other caliber or ramp configuration Kart barrels and
    Nowlin or Bar-Sto barrels available at extra cost.

Supply & fit H-D logo bushing and spring plug
    Re-crown muzzle flush with barrel bushing to deep, polished configuration
    Function Reliability Package
    Supply and fit extended ejector
    Re-machine frame feed ramp to correct specs
    Supply and install Harrison Design Extreme Service forged slide stop
    Supply & fit EGW oversize firing pin stop
    Supply, fit and tune new match grade tool steel extractor (stainless extra)
    Machine frame for "bow tie" clearance cut on frame bridge vertical impact surface
    Modify slide stop & plunger for "E-Z IN" installation to reduce chances of idiot scratches
    Perform trigger job (4.0 to 5.5 #) featuring full power springs, H-D Extreme Service tool steel ignition set
    featuring Retro spur hammer with bobbed and undercut spur, H-D Hard Use solid aluminum trigger
    featuring solid shoe, polished S/S bow, fixed over travel stop and smooth face with natural silver finish
    Checker front strap 20 lpi. Includes high grip & truing front strap with smooth, snag-free lower border
    Checker bottom of trigger guard 30 lpi
    Machine frame, supply, fit & blend Wilson Combat beavertail grip safety (see FAQ for info on exposed
    thumb safety hole)
    Supply & fit EGW barstock thumb safety and re-shape to medium Carry Contour
    Tune grip safety for increased sensitivity of release point
    Supply and install Legacy Custom mag well suite (incls. #707)
    Carry Bevel Package, hand bevel all sharp corners and edges, blend rear of slide to frame and adjacent
    parts
    Countersunk slide stop pin
    Refinish pistol in matte black IonBond DLC
    Supply and install H-D Extreme Service bar stock plunger tube
    Supply and fit H-D Extreme Service magazine catch, extended "tactical" length
    Supply and fit pin and small spring kit

Let the year countdown begin...:Cry:

2. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    man i hope you don't die before then. :faint:

J/K bro. Congrats on your decision and I hope it turns out the way you want it.:thumb:

3. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Damn that is a long wait, but I think it is going to be well worth it.

4. John Ryder

Aug 19, 2011
    Well, there is that whole 2012 thing :bolt:

The good thing is it only takes $25 to get on his list, so if something happens and I can't afford the build, I'm only out $25.

5. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I like his stuff. I hope your taste dont change before 4 years lol.

6. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I read that right....4 years? :faint:

7. John Ryder

Aug 19, 2011
    That's the good thing, if something happens I'm only out $25. I hate trying to plan 4 years out, it's not normal for me, at least not for a firearm. I figure every time I want to impulse buy something I'll deposit the money in a dedicated account. With the rate I've bought recently, I'd have it paid for by now.

That was the time he gave me. Still better than some shops claiming 9 months and taking twice as long.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  8. thecableguy

Aug 16, 2011
    Are you sending in a gun? This has me thinking. I wouldn't mind getting one of his builds either. I likes his work from the moment Paul posted a picture his work.

9. John Ryder

Aug 19, 2011
    Nope, I don't even have one for this build yet. I think I'll find a Colt for this type of build.

He only requires the $25 and basic contact info. I filled out his form with options but he said it doesn't matter and he goes over all the details when it's close to start time. In four years, I expect changes to my specs.

10. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Oh man, I promise you won't be disappointed! I can't fathom that wait time though!!!

I thought about getting on his list to have another built, but I can't plan 4+ years ahead of time, and have no idea if I'll have the money. Plus there is another builder I have in mind, his name is Chuck!

Regardless though, John has helped me a bunch and he is an awesome gentleman, and a HELL of a master. I would NOT hesitate to buy from him again.

11. thecableguy

Aug 16, 2011
    I hope you don't mind one more question? Is it 4 years before he starts or 4yrs when it is finished?

12. thecableguy

Aug 16, 2011
    I wouldn't mind this right here with the only change in sights.
    [​IMG]

13. John Ryder

Aug 19, 2011
    I cannot see the wait either, but since I don't have the cash or pistol tied up it won't be too bad. I'll forget before long.

Dunno, I think it is 4 years until he starts, but you'd have to ask John to be sure. I know someone who is having JH build him a pistol, he waited about a year for a smaller job and it only took a week or two to build, then the time for finishing.

14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I would have figured 50% down.. I've thought about ordering a custom and selling futures in case I die before it's completed.. Ron

15. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    While mine wasn't a complete build, I sent him my gun a month before he even touched it (he was probably finishing another project). It took him a month to do everything to it, and another month for the refinish/final assembly. So all told, mine was gone for 3-months. I started talking to him about 2-3 months before he decided to take my gun, going over specs, options, etc. etc. So 2-3 months of "planning" and 3 months that it was actually gone.

However, last I head his wait time was quoted at 4-years, and I'm guessing that's probably pretty accurate. I believe he only does one build at a time, in order he received them.

16. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Congrats on the build. But there is noway in hell I would wait that long for any gun. That is just ridiculous.

17. John Ryder

Aug 19, 2011
    I got BURNED by one builder from a similar requirement. I can understand sending 50% for the parts to be bought once it is time to start, but giving that much money any earlier is something I will not do. I learned from my experience.

18. John Ryder

Aug 19, 2011
    Honestly, I wasn't going to plan this build at first due to the wait. After thinking it over I felt it was my best option, a long wait gives me plenty of time to raise the funds and I don't expect the same BS I had with a "Custom Shop."

19. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
  20. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    No you won't.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted