1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been kicking around buying a 357 round gun for some time. Well it's time to purchase. I am hesitant to buy the new colt based on some reviews. I think I have settled on a gp100 ruger. The gun will get some carry time. The question is does the 357 Magnum round perform better out of a 4 inch barrel as opposed to 3" ? I think I would prefer 3" but don't want to give up much velocity ? What says the revolver brain trust ?

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,460 Posts
They are indeed TANKS. I have the 3" Wiley Clapp model. I also did a 'trigger job' on it. MCARBO has springs and shims, and a video that shows a person what to do. Badger makes some great wood grips in whatever style you might like. I've got leather coming from Paul at Warbird, and a holster and speedloader pouches just shipped from Garrett Industries.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Well you made your decision!
Good choice.
I have .357s in 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 5, and 6”
3” is probably my favorite.
I had one of the gun you ordered. They are nice. I only traded mine because something shiny caught my eye.
And.... I’ve maybe got enough? Too many? .357s
Wait! I traded it for a different .357!
And bought one more since then!

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,835 Posts
The 3" is a good choice, a nice compromise between concealability, shootability, and ballistic performance. I like my 4" .357mag GP100 Match Champion a lot but my 3" .41mag S&W gets carried more.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I know it crazy but my 2 3/4" bbl on my Security Six 357 mag it shoots near as fast
as my 5.5" 357 mag RedHawk. Rugers seem to have tight B/C Gaps.

My Colt Trooper MKIII is old, & it has a 6" BBL it is a little faster that the 2 3/4" Ruger.

Just under 1400 FPS with the Federal 125 357 Mag load, that's a good fast little
Revolver.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Ammunition performs to its specific design parameters, not universally based on caliber. A given load will perform differently in different guns based not just on barrel length but a variety of other factors that can vary even within the same model.

Everything else being equal, the same load will have less velocity out of a 3" versus 4" barrel -- this can be good, bad or indifferent based on the load's design parameters.

Point is, don't automatically think of less velocity as being bad, think of proper velocity for the round's design and whether or not it's met when fired from a specific revolver.

Case in point: Speer's Gold Dot Short Barrel .357 load will have less velocity out of a 3" barrel than a 4", and this is preferred because the load's design is to achieve a certain penetration depth and expansion at a particular velocity range likeliest in barrels 3" or less; again, all things being equal, with this load at 4" or greater the bullet will be overdriven and not perform to spec.

So don't think purely in terms of velocity, think in terms of choosing ammunition for its designed performance parameters and make certain they're met in your particular revolver.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts